M-1 Carbines

2 hours ago, Beltfed said:

I had dealings with Intrac back in the day.  They imported 5,000 from the Bavarian police.  I picked up 10 each Winchester and Rockolla’s for 125 beans each.  It helped my 401k.

My Winchester was $150. Inflation don’t ya know.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not up to speed on the M1 market, but based on what I'm seeing on GB these days, the prices aren't awful. Sure, they're no $150 steals some of ya'll like to brag about from 20+ years ago, but realistically in today's market, how do these Midway prices look?

Even in today's market, these price are several hundred too high.  Generally, the current pricing for a decent M1 Carbine is right around $1000. However, I bet they sell every last one of 'em. 🙄

Notice that these rifles are sold without magazines and don't appear to have slings or accessories. As a carbine owner already, I have noticed that over the last few years that supplies of mags and accessories have been drying up and getting more expensive. Where surplus GI mags once could be easily found new in wrap for $4.99, now in some places they're up to $30-40. If they can be found at all. And on top of that there is the current ammo situation.  I fear that Midway  suddenly dropping thousands of carbines on the market will only make make prices on ammo and accessories skyrocket.  

I would kinda like to have an early rifle with the flip rear sight and no bayonet lug. But I'm gonna wait until they actually go on sale to see exactly what they have and pricing. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1

I e-mailed Midway and asked if any have the flip rear sight. They said the guns only come as pictured. All the pics have the later adjustable sights. So I guess I'm out. 🙄

I'm waiting eagerly for somebody to get one and report on it. I do want to know exactly what condition these things are in. 😉

3 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I e-mailed Midway and asked if any have the flip rear sight. They said the guns only come as pictured. All the pics have the later adjustable sights. So I guess I'm out. 🙄

I'm waiting eagerly for somebody to get one and report on it. I do want to know exactly what condition these things are in. 😉

From what I hear none or very few have flip sights.  If you select the different grades then different pics appear.  Looks like Fine grade gets you one without bayonet lug, fair/good has one.

It does make me wonder how they gots pics of the manufacturer’s stamp. No way they could take pics like that with an adjustable sight installed.

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

When did they start putting adjustable sights and bayo lugs on the Carbines? I've tried looking up info but, can't find anything really that narrows it down. Mine is 300,000 serial range.

38 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

When did they start putting adjustable sights and bayo lugs on the Carbines? I've tried looking up info but, can't find anything really that narrows it down. Mine is 300,000 serial range.

Very late in the war, like 1945 right before production ceased.  The Type 2 rear sight is the milled adjustable sight, Type 3 is the stamped version.

The Type 3 barrel band includes the bayonet lug.

It was standard practice for all M1 Carbines to be upgraded with these features after the war.  That is why one should always question the “authenticity” of one with flip sights and no bayonet lug.  Finding a true original is very rare. 

Your Inland shipped with the Type 1 flip sight and Type 1 or 2, probably 1, barrel band.

That’s pretty much from memory cause I don’t feel like dragging the books out.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3
19 hours ago, Garufa said:

Very late in the war, like 1945 right before production ceased.  The Type 2 rear sight is the milled adjustable sight, Type 3 is the stamped version.

The Type 3 barrel band includes the bayonet lug.

It was standard practice for all M1 Carbines to be upgraded with these features after the war.  That is why one should always question the “authenticity” of one with flip sights and no bayonet lug.  Finding a true original is very rare. 

I don't pay extra for 'all matching' parts on US military guns.  I know how the military operates and 'all matching' means that someone swapped parts to make it that way 99.95% of the time.  Most of the carbines I see with Type 1 sights look like they had a Type 2 or 3 sight removed and a Type 1 staked in.

During WW2 the Military did not care about having one manufacturer making all the parts.  Parts from different makers were shipped wherever they were needed at that time.  And after the war, everything was re-arsenalled.  Again, nobody cared who made what part.  They put them back together using whatever in-spec part was next in the bin.

If you want the 'authentic' WW2 look, buy whatever carbine you want and change parts to match what you want.  I see repro flip sights for $40 and originals start at $80 on eBxx.

• Like 4

I was curious about selling these rifles without magazines. So I asked Midway. Here's their response: 

"Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Unfortunately due to the M1 carbines not arriving to us with magazines in them, we will not be selling them with magazines. We will however offer several aftermarket magazines on our website that should be compatible."

So it has nothing to do with restrictive states  or just screwing the customers. Midway just don't have the mags. That's gonna make things very interesting. 

• Like 1

I checked my Carbine mags. I have plenty of good USGI mags in both 15 and 30 rounds for my needs. But I also have two new in the package / never been used aftermarket 20 rounders.  If things get as wild as I expect, I just might let these two go.  😉

On 6/5/2021 at 1:19 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Even in today's market, these price are several hundred too high.  Generally, the current pricing for a decent M1 Carbine is right around $1000. However, I bet they sell every last one of 'em. 

They'll go fast.  Where else can you find primary market M1's these days?  As you're well aware, every time a new (old) supply of milsurps shows up, prices go up accordingly.  Look at what happened with M39's a couple of years ago when Classic landed the last of the Burns hoard, prices jumped by 50% or better practically overnight.  As always, things will settle back some once the initial impact of a fresh supply wears off, but for now, it's feeding frenzy time ...

Edited by No_0ne
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

Well, that didn't last long.  The great MidwayUSA M1 Carbine drop of 2021 is over.  Sold out in a little over 3 hours.

On 6/7/2021 at 12:16 PM, No_0ne said:

They'll go fast.  Where else can you find primary market M1's these days?  As you're well aware, every time a new (old) supply of milsurps shows up, prices go up accordingly.  Look at what happened with M39's a couple of years ago when Classic landed the last of the Burns hoard, prices jumped by 50% or better practically overnight.  As always, things will settle back some once the initial impact of a fresh supply wears off, but for now, it's feeding frenzy time ...

It's a tough job being right all the time, but somebody has to do it ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1