M-1 Carbines

I landed a National Postal Meter Vg-Fine

rockolas went super fast. I had another brand Fine in my cart and it was OOS before I could complete the sale. Their Site was strained to the max. 

I’ll post pics when it arrives on my C&R doorstep. 

I’m hoping this is a case of you can never pay too much, just buy too early. Not that it matters. I don’t plan to ever sell it. It will likely go in my will to family. 

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 4

Me too! Post lots of pics and give a range report. 👍

Somebody on another forum said that Midway had 1300 rifles. IDK, somehow I just imagined the number as being much bigger. If this is true, I don't expect the impact on mags, accessories, etc to be as big as I thought it would. I also expect that many of these buyers already own a carbine or two and don't need much for them. 

But just to be on the safe side, I have already ordered a couple of spring kits and a couple other small things for my two rifles. As they say, better to have and not need......... 🙄

• Like 1
18 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

I landed a National Postal Meter Vg-Fine

I’m hoping this is a case of you can never pay too much, just buy too early. Not that it matters. I don’t plan to ever sell it. It will likely go in my will to family

I volunteer to be adopted, if you are looking.  I'm 58, kinda lazy at times.  Like to hike, camp and shoot, but I don't eat much! 🙂 

12 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Me too! Post lots of pics and give a range report. 👍

Somebody on another forum said that Midway had 1300 rifles. IDK, somehow I just imagined the number as being much bigger. If this is true, I don't expect the impact on mags, accessories, etc to be as big as I thought it would. I also expect that many of these buyers already own a carbine or two and don't need much for them. 

But just to be on the safe side, I have already ordered a couple of spring kits and a couple other small things for my two rifles. As they say, better to have and not need......... 🙄

1300 probably qualifies as a large shipment of imported milsurps these days.  Most of the weapons still managing to trickle in now and then are assembled overseas by roving buyers, who buy up individual or groups of rifles from private sellers or other sources and bundle them into one shipment.  An example is some of the Swiss rifles that are still occasionally imported, buyers roam through Switzerland buying up older rifles passed down by retired (or deceased) militia members.  Once they have enough rifles to make up a shipment, the buyers send them to the states.  Often times, we're talking dozens, not hundreds of rifles coming in, so a lot of 1300 is pretty sizable these days.  The era of full containers being brought in with thousands of old milsurps is over ...

• Like 1

I like to imagine there are shipping containers and/or Russian warehouses full of old milsurps and ammo just waiting to be imported. Like some Lord of War or War Dogs scene. I know it’s probably not true, but I still like to pretend places like that still exist. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

I like to imagine there are shipping containers and/or Russian warehouses full of old milsurps and ammo just waiting to be imported. Like some Lord of War or War Dogs scene. I know it’s probably not true, but I still like to pretend places like that still exist. 

Importation of milsurp rifles from Russia has been banned for years.  In addition to the older bans, the Bush II, Obama and Trump administrations all added various individuals and companies to the "do not do any business with" list, a lot of whom control companies involved with arms and ammunition.  Ukraine has some stuff left, but getting it out is very difficult, for one European export rules are much tighter now than in the past, plus they have this little civil war going on as well.  A few years back, Russia announced that they were in the process of scrapping a lot of their older stockpiles of arms, likely many of them were old Mosins that had deteriorated over the years and weren't usable anyway.  The endless wars throughout the middle east also suck up much of whatever is left and available, both weapons and ammunition stores.  The firesales of WWII era rifles and ammo that Ukraine, the former Yugoslavian states, Romania, et. al. had in the late 90's and 2000's were made possible mostly by the collapse of their governments and the power vacuums left in the wake, allowing enterprising former Communists to sell everything that wasn't firmly cemented in place (and some things that were).  None of those conditions are likely to be repeated, and with both our, and their current rules, bans, treaties and general ill-will towards each other, further sales are equally unlikely anyway ...

• Like 1

WOW!  Got mine already!

Postal Meter FINE condition, 1.9M range, flat bolt, high wood, two rivet handguard, Marlin barrel, Type 1 barrel band, bore is shiny but well worn, stamped rear sight, lots of cosmoline, wood is well used, but no cracks.

Photos after I have a chance to clean it up.  

• Like 6
55 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

No I've not priced a M1 Garand lately but, have never seen a basic M1 for $1400 or more.

I've seen them priced at that, but I'm not sure how many actually sell at that level ...

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

I know this is supposed to be about M1 carbines(which I have one also) , but some of you were talking about Garands. I have a Beretta M1 Garand, any of y’all seen one or got one?

Sort of. I’ll bet it’s chambered for 308 and is a model BM59.

I sold a copy to a fellow member here. I think mine was marked Golden State Arms.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Sort of. I’ll bet it’s chambered for 308 and is a model BM59.

I sold a copy to a fellow member here. I think mine was marked Golden State Arms.

No, mines not a BM59. I know what your talking about. My Garand  is a 3006 and uses clips.

• Like 1