M-1 Carbines

I did a little research. There's not much out there but apparently Beretta made a bunch of M1 Garands under contract for Denmark. I think this was during WW II, but I can't seem to pin down the exact dates. Not much seems to be known.

Oh yeah! I definitely want to see pictures of this!聽馃憤

• Like 2

Got curious about these Danish/Italian Garands and did a little quick research.聽 Apparently, when Denmark surplussed the remainder of their non-US owned rifles, Century International bought the majority of them.聽 A few were directly imported into the US, then their import certs on the rest were denied (guessing pressure from commercial manufacturers, which got a lot of imports denied over the years).聽 So, Century sent most of these to Canada, where a lot were them dissasembled, receivers stripped, and the rest sent on into the US as "parts kits".聽 SARCO, at the time, had a huge inventory of USGI receivers, so a person could buy the Century parts kit for $250, add a SARCO receiver for $100, and assemble a working Garand.聽 Later, Century figured out there was more money in actually building the rifles back, so they bought up receivers and re-assembled the complete rifles after importing them to themselves in the US.聽 An interesting little tidbit of milsurp history ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back to the Carbines: The plot thickens. Saw this posted over at Sig-Talk. Apparently it was an e-mail sent to one of the new purchasers.聽

Dear Customer,

Thank you and congratulations on your M1 Carbine purchase! Response to these guns was overwhelming and we are still hard at work getting them processed and out the door. We know you鈥檙e excited to get your new gun and we appreciate your patience. When your M1 Carbine arrives, we are confident you鈥檙e going to be pleased with your purchase. We鈥檇 love to see these guns in the hands of our happy Customers, so if you share a photo of your carbine on social media, please be sure to tag us!
WE HAVE MORE GREAT NEWS! We have military surplus M1 Carbine Magazines produced during WWII between 1942 and 1945. These magazines were manufactured by one of 17 different companies which can be identified by markings on the rear of the magazine. WWII production magazines do not come available often and we have a VERY LIMITED SUPPLY.
Because we have such a limited supply, we are initially only notifying Customers who bought an M1 Carbine so you have the first opportunity to purchase.
WE ALSO HAVE a very limited supply of M1 Carbine Ammunition!
The magazines and ammunition will be turned on for sale Tuesday, June 15, at 8:00 AM Central Daylight time. Please note we have very limited supplies of each of these products, quantity limits will apply, and they will sell fast!
Below are the product numbers we will turn on Tuesday, June 15. For your best opportunity to purchase, please be ready to order at 8:00AM CDT.
Magazines:

333327 - Military Surplus Magazine M1 Carbine 30 Carbine 15-Round New Old Stock Steel

607887 - Military Surplus Magazine M1 Carbine 30 Carbine 15-Round Grade 1 Steel

191953 - Military Surplus Magazine M1 Carbine 30 Carbine 15-Round Grade 2 Steel

409493 - Military Surplus Magazine M1 Carbine 30 Carbine 15-Round Grade 3 Steel

Damn! I used to like Midway. Now they pull this crap!聽 Especially after telling me in an e-mail that they had no G.I. surplus mags.聽馃挬

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
9 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Back to the Carbines: The plot thickens. Saw this posted over at Sig-Talk. Apparently it was an e-mail sent to one of the new purchasers.聽

Dear Customer,

Thank you and congratulations on your M1 Carbine purchase! Response to these guns was overwhelming and we are still hard at work getting them processed and out the door. We know you鈥檙e excited to get your new gun and we appreciate your patience. When your M1 Carbine arrives, we are confident you鈥檙e going to be pleased with your purchase. We鈥檇 love to see these guns in the hands of our happy Customers, so if you share a photo of your carbine on social media, please be sure to tag us!
WE HAVE MORE GREAT NEWS! We have military surplus M1 Carbine Magazines produced during WWII between 1942 and 1945. These magazines were manufactured by one of 17 different companies which can be identified by markings on the rear of the magazine. WWII production magazines do not come available often and we have a VERY LIMITED SUPPLY.
Because we have such a limited supply, we are initially only notifying Customers who bought an M1 Carbine so you have the first opportunity to purchase.
The magazines and ammunition will be turned on for sale Tuesday, June 15, at 8:00 AM Central Daylight time. Please note we have very limited supplies of each of these products, quantity limits will apply, and they will sell fast!
Below are the product numbers we will turn on Tuesday, June 15. For your best opportunity to purchase, please be ready to order at 8:00AM CDT.
Magazines:

333327 - Military Surplus Magazine M1 Carbine 30 Carbine 15-Round New Old Stock Steel

Damn! I used to like Midway. Now they pull this crap!聽 Especially after telling me in an e-mail that they had no G.I. surplus mags.聽馃挬

Actually, I think it's kind of cool that they're making these available to those who purchased their carbines.聽 As for your email, it's also possible that the person who responded had no idea whether these were available or not, as it's likely that these haven't been entered into their inventory yet and some random guy keying in email responses has no idea what's in the pipeline or what might become available, other than what pops up on his screen when he searches ...

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Well, I thought it was weird they were selling the Carbines without a mag. There was way more mags made than Carbines.

True, but it's also possible that they got carbines with no mags, or maybe mags with no carbines.聽 Obviously, they've managed to source some mags from somewhere, now they get to sell these too.聽 My bet is they're allowing the M1 buyers first choice to keep those folks from jumping their butts about selling carbines without them, then turning around and offering mags ...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Dear Customer,

Magazines:

That's low-down and sleazy.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

聽I know very little about these guns but will any of these at gunmagwarehouse work ?

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/all-magazines/rifles/30-carbine?stock=1

The KCI mags are Korean made and very highly regarded, at least the 15 rounders are from what I hear. 聽The Koreans know a thing or two about M1 Carbines.

Regardless, it鈥檚 still not the same as having a USGI mag, which every carbine deserves. 聽It鈥檚 just part of the聽fascinating history of those little rifles.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

The KCI mags are Korean made and very highly regarded, at least the 15 rounders are from what I hear. 聽The Koreans know a thing or two about M1 Carbines.

Regardless, it鈥檚 still not the same as having a USGI mag, which every carbine deserves. 聽It鈥檚 just part of the聽fascinating history of those little rifles.

Concur on the KCIs, I have had good success.

I have a few 15 and 1 30 round GI, the springs are so weak I can unload with a good shake and gravity.

I upgraded to a M2 mag release on my shooter, a fully loaded 30 rounder can still sag in the magwell.

Get a bunch of 15s and load up your pockets.

@Garufa

I too, am still fascinating by this little rifle. Only have two, a keeper and a shooter and love shooting it.

4 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Back when everybody was buying carbines cheap, I was buying NIW USGI mags for about $5 each. But now, just like the rifles, the supply has dried up and prices are getting ridiculous.聽馃檮

Numrich had zillions still in wrapper, $20 and less based on condition a while back. Last check was current market.

If someone figured out how to apply the new change in law used to import from Italy to South Korea, they could flood the market, hundreds of thousands units in SK warehouses?