M-1 Carbines

11 minutes ago, pop pop said:

What do these carbines usually sell for. I like the M-1. 

That is entirely dependent on condition, manufacturer, and originality.   If you find a USGI mixmaster for less than $1k you’ve done very well.

I bet these will start around $1,400 if not more for the lowest grades.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3
44 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

They are a hoot!

They really are. I've killed several wild pigs with mine, and it's a fun plinker, too. I can't remember what I paid for it back in the late 70's, but I didn't have any money back then so it must have been very inexpensive. I never thought of it as a "collector's item", but I suppose it's getting there now. 

I have two. An Inland and a Standard products. But I signed up anyway. Depending on price and condition, I'm open to another one. 😉

IDK, Italian Police in storage since the 1950s? Makes me question their condition. CMP goes through, checks and repairs as necessary. These may well be "as is" and luck of the draw. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. 🙄

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I have two. An Inland and a Standard products. But I signed up anyway. Depending on price and condition, I'm open to another one. 😉

IDK, Italian Police in storage since the 1950s? Makes me question their condition. CMP goes through, checks and repairs as necessary. These may well be "as is" and luck of the draw. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. 🙄

Do ya feel lucky?🤠

22 hours ago, Garufa said:

Loves me some M1 Carbine.  

Wonder why they’re not going through the CMP.  Their last big lot about 10 years ago came from the Italians.

Has to do with Lend/Lease vs buy. The rifles that were provided to allied countries under the Lend/Lease program must be returned to the US Gov/Army. As a result they can be sent to CMP after they come back. These rifles were owned or not otherwise a part of the Lend/Lease program and so they were available for purchase and import by a private entity. 

I may have to choke down my hate for Midway and think about adding one to the collection. I bet the prices will push $2000, maybe $2400~$2500 for the best condition examples. 

When I was little my dad bought me a Crosman BB gun that looked like a M1 and later a Marlin 22 that also looked like a M1. When I was around 50 years old he said he would like to get me a real m1 then asked how much the were. I said they were 6 or 7 hundred. He said that was too much. I said I agree.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

M1 Memories:

I had two carbines before I had a drivers license! 

One was a no-name surplus that I suspect was made for the ARVN. It was pretty jam-tastic and poorly made.  I'll never forgot my Dad's reaction when I, a 13-year old, came home with an M1. (Mowing grass has it's perks).

The other was a Plainfield that was really nice. Wish I still had that one, but I Sold it (at a profit) to help fund my first car (which was worth less than the stereo I put in it)

My brother still has the Universal with which his ex-wife shot him, through - and - through in the shoulder/chest at point blank range. It only ate hardball ammo, which was probably a good thing in his case.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

When I was 14 before I knew of much about real guns, we had a guy that rented from us. One day I see him walking down to the pond out back and he was caring a Carbine and a plastic pail. Curious about it, I ran down back and caught up with him just as he tossed the pail out in the water and proceeded to put 30 rounds into it as it sunk under the surface. That was my "Holy Crap" eyes bugging out moment of rapid fire baptism.  After that, I wanted to know all about guns.  The US M1 Carbine, Love em or hate em..... they are an icon of history, mine included!

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

When I was a kid, one of my dad's friends had an old M1 with a selector switch - which I guess would have technically made it an M2. Even as a kid, I though that was the goofiest little selector switch.

But man that thing made you giggle when you shot it.

They did an estate sale when he died several years later.  To this day it's the only estate sale I've ever been to where the ATF was there too.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

When I was a kid, one of my dad's friends had an old M1 with a selector switch - which I guess would have technically made it an M2. Even as a kid, I though that was the goofiest little selector switch.

But man that thing made you giggle when you shot it.

They did an estate sale when he died several years later.  To this day it's the only estate sale I've ever been to where the ATF was there too.

He must have had a lot of cool stuff for the ATF to come onsite. LOL

On 5/10/2021 at 6:14 PM, Garufa said:

The first centerfire rifle I ever shot was my Dad's IBM M1 Carbine when I was around 12 years old.  Still have it and will until the day I die.

Put me down in the will?

Being in IT, I so want an IBM one.