17 states and D.C. declared emergency status

Hi all, due to the ransomware attack on Colonial pipeline this emergency status was put into effect yesterday. It stated Atlanta and Tennessee would be the first to feel the effects. If the pipeline isn't put into service tomorrow it will go downhill fast, as the tank farms generally have 2 or 3 days supply. This pipeline delivers about 45% of fuel we use. Just wanted this out for all to see. I didn't see any threads on this. Stay safe!!

• Like 1

A few years back a pipe broke south of us and caused a shortage here after a few days. Lasted about a week IIRC. I drive a work van around middle TN every day, we filled up every chance we fond gas.

7 hours ago, RED333 said:

A few years back a pipe broke south of us and caused a shortage here after a few days. Lasted about a week IIRC. I drive a work van around middle TN every day, we filled up every chance we fond gas.

IIRC, I believe you're right.

• Admin Team

They won’t be back online until the weekend at the earliest. So, it’s worth getting gas sooner rather than later.

There are a lot of resources being marshaled because of the critically - but this stuff takes time.

We’re dealing with sophisticated attackers these days. We’ve seen them recon networks from the inside for months.  We’ve seen backups infected and deleted.

With SCADA access, it’s possible to cause actual physical damage.

This is the real deal - and likely the tip of a larger iceberg.

It’s the kind of stuff that leads to kinetic responses. 

• Like 4

I filled up in White House on my way back to Nashville on Saturday.  Given that I don't drive more than about 10 miles a day, I should be good until this blows over. 

The amount of things we've moved to a digital environment where they become susceptible to these kinds of attacks is scary.  I don't want to regress back to the 50s, but we need to consider what absolutely needs to have potential attack vectors via the commercial internet and act accordingly.  The military runs separate networks classified information, and I think it's time to consider a structure for critical infrastructure like this if we don't have something in place. 

LOL! I have a kid in Panama City right now, and I'd bet what's in my wallet they don't have a quarter tank of gas in the car. They are big and strong and several of them, so pushing it back to Tennessee might be a good life lesson.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Filled up yesterday. Told my kids to do the same. I have to head south soon for a planned trip,  so fingers crossed. 
Checked gas buddy and prices this morning were ok locally and in Alabama. 

The minute declarations of emergency are announced, public panic begins. 

I hope our pipelines and grid infrastructure will get a little more hardened. I used to work with a lot of pipelines monitoring them for corrosion and they have pretty much went to computer automated valves that a few guys in a control room in Houston or wherever can open and close valves. I personally wish they would keep some manual control valves in place. If the thugs hit more that 1 pipeline at a time it would be very crippling. Cross your fingers they get this worked out before the weekend.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

So far I've passed 6 stations with all their pumps taped off and this at a food city gas n go

20210511_161511.jpg

Strange. Word hasn't got out here in the hood. It was business as usual at the local Kenjo/Shell station.

• Like 2

Shows how much the us infrastructure needs to be updated. Power, fuel and roads all need major work. Tons of unsafe bridges and barely serviceable roads. Old and weak electrical grids that are vulnerable to nature and outside forces. Over dependence on a few places for fuel needs that cripple entire sectors if something happens.

I dont give two ####s what side of the isle you say you are from, we need a MAJOR infrastructural overhaul NOW.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Randall53 said:

Just pray the power grid doesn’t get hit.

Solar FTW! My bill for April was $36 & change. May looks like about $11, less if it's sunny. We're still adapting, but I expect the rest of the summer to be essentially free. 

10 hours ago, superduty said:

Gas is gone here in Spring Hill now, south of Nashville. From what I hear, it's almost gone in West Knox as well.

The Kroger on Port Royal got a truck about dinner last night. I was coming back from football practice and it was backed up into the road. It’s a mess.