Shooting Locations for felons

Hello,

No, I am not asking if there are locations in the state of Tennessee where I may shoot felons legally. I myself am a felon and with the recent opinion by the Tennessee State Attorney General I am under the belief that I may use a black powder rifle. Please, before you decide to hate me, look at my questions and answer if you can. Of course I understand that that rife must be percussion, flintlock made before 1898 and any reproductions must be in the same form. As I may only use balls and Pyrodex it seems as though it would be a interesting pastime.

There are a few questions I would like answered before I go out and purchase something like a Thompson Center Hawken.

1. Do I need a hunters safety class in Tennessee to shoot a antique firearm and can I as a felon take one? ( I do have a completed class from Iowa in 1993).
2. Are there any state shooting ranges that I may access on the west side of Tennessee as I will not be able to pass a background check?
3. Does anyone know of a farmer or land owner that may have a place to shoot on the west side of Tennessee?

Thank you

I can't help on all of your questions, but here's this:

1.  It is legal for a felon to hunt with bows and with antique (black powder) arms and to take hunter safety courses in Tennessee.  You can take the course online:  https://www.tn.gov/twra/hunting/hunter-education/online-hunting-education.html

2.  I don't know anything specific about western Tennessee but I know that the firing range at Long Hunter State Park does not require a background check to shoot on the range.  I assume it follows the same rules as all other state ranges.  But I'd be careful not to handle anyone's modern firearm while on the range.

3.  No help here; I'm in Middle Tennessee.

Stay clean and straight, and good luck to you.  I applaud you for wanting to stay within the law.

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Whisper said:

1.  It is legal for a felon to hunt with bows and with antique (black powder) arms and to take hunter safety courses in Tennessee.  You can take the course online:  https://www.tn.gov/twra/hunting/hunter-education/online-hunting-education.html

2.  I don't know anything specific about western Tennessee but I know that the firing range at Long Hunter State Park does not require a background check to shoot on the range.  I assume it follows the same rules as all other state ranges.  But I'd be careful not to handle anyone's modern firearm while on the range.

Stay clean and straight, and good luck to you.  I applaud you for wanting to stay within the law.

Cheers,

Whisper

I'm glad you answered that.  It was something I wondered about for a very long time now.  Great answers, too, 🙂   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Whisper said:

Cheers,

Whisper

If he has a hunters safety certificate from a different state, he's good in Tennessee. No need to take Tennessee's course. 

• Like 4

As far as E4 No More 's dislike of my post....

1. A law enforcement officer buddy informed me that some felons may possess modern firearms depending on the felony they were convicted of. This is even if they can't pass a background check. He asked what the conviction was and he'd talk to his DA.

2. If the guy was convicted of rape or anything that involves a child, I'm not interested in helping him. 

Hello,

I am a new forum user, so if I am responding to these incorrectly please let me know.

Unfortunately, I come from Iowa and there is never a possibility for expungement. But, one can not dwell on the past, only move towards the future. In response to my criminal record I am neither embarrassed or ashamed to share it.

At the age of 18 my parent's rightfully kicked me out our home in the winter, I was inclined to break into a used clothing store and steal clothing along with money that was in a purse display. Now, I must say that although I thought I was extremely bright in the moment, it was proven that the life of crime was not for me. There is nothing more embarrassing than waking up in a pile of used clothing and having two police officers laughing at the absurdity of it. It only took one time.

The store owners wanted to hit me with everything they could and now I have four felonies for burglary.  Yes, I believe that I deserved what I received for a sentence, but I would be lying if I did not say it leaves me frustrated at times.  I do not believe my crime fits into the categories of violence, drugs or firearms.

Although I am happy spending the rest of my life using only archery equipment, I do miss the ability to hit a target at more than 40 ft lbs. Oh to be young, unintelligent and have a lack of being able to perceive the future.  

In response to your officers thoughts on felons owning firearms, they are wrong.  According to the ATF one should only go by the definition of a antique firearm and be careful in those regards.  It is also impossible because of explosive regulations for me to posses black powder.  Each state is a minefield of regulations as is the federal government.  I am a pyrodex or nothing man that knows to not to use primers and only use percussion caps.

No.  I am not a child molester or rapist and am quite sure we would both handle them the same way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you can own antique guns, and you can in Tennessee as of 2019, why not just buy a nice lever action build before 1900 and use that? I mean the .30-30 came about in 1895, so that's what I would be looking for.

Not sure if the OP was a troll or not, but that's the kind of charge a good lawyer might get reduced. Sorry for your troubles OP, I am 59 years old and I occasionally have things I did when I was 18 haunt me. One time Canada didn't want to let me in there because I had a charge from when I was 17 years old for doing a burnout in a guy's parking lot, they called it vandalism and Canada takes that very seriously.

• 9 months later...
On 6/7/2021 at 11:17 PM, Grayfox54 said:

I smell a troll. 😡

I’m not CERTAIN you’re right, but if I were a felon, I would do my best to go about finding a legal way around it very quietly.

If I were a liberal-felon-troll, I’d shout it from the rooftops just like airgu… well, you know…