Hernando Desoto Bridge closed I-40 Memphis

13 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It’ll be worth it to me to route all the way up to the Dyersburg/Caruthersville bridge over the Mississippi.

There ain’t that many bridges over the Mississippi between Tennessee and Arkansas, are there?

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

There ain’t that many bridges over the Mississippi between Tennessee and Arkansas, are there?

Just the two in Memphis. The one I referenced is between Missouri and Tennessee. And then there’s another one of wee bit south between Arkansas and Mississippi that isn’t too big of a detour. Now, if you were just needing to go from Memphis to West Memphis, your hosed. My routes go over much longer distances so I can start gradual shifts north or south and only add a small amount of miles to my trip to route around Memphis. 

• Like 2

Local news can't seem to get it straight. There's a crack which is bad enough to close the bridge, but local TV seems to think it'll be repaired in just a day or two. Really?  I kinda have my doubts about that. 🙄

The news also reported that 100,000 vehicles cross that bridge every day. The I-55 bridge, which  normally sees half that, will now have to take the full load. Downtown Memphis is a mess.  Traffic is barely moving. 💩

14 hours ago, superduty said:

I believe the bridges over the Mississippi are one of the biggest vulnerabilities.

For those who don't know, Memphis and all the Mississippi river bridges have been on our enemy's primary target lists since the early cold war days. Drop those bridges and you effectively cut this country in half. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Local news can't seem to get it straight. There's a crack which is bad enough to close the bridge, but local TV seems to think it'll be repaired in just a day or two. Really?  I kinda have my doubts about that. 🙄

The news also reported that 100,000 vehicles cross that bridge every day. The I-55 bridge, which  normally sees half that, will now have to take the full load. Downtown Memphis is a mess.  Traffic is barely moving. 💩

For those who don't know, Memphis and all the Mississippi river bridges have been on our enemy's primary target lists since the early cold war days. Drop those bridges and you effectively cut this country in half. 

The Major just released a statement that repairs would take months, not days.  I think that is more likely.

• Wow 1

I've been saying for years that this country's infrastructure was in major need of an overhaul. I'm actually kinda happy Biden is interested in this. But, like every other democratic proposal, they want to pass a bill to spend trillions of dollars and maybe 10% of it will actually go for the intended purpose. All the rest will be used to fund the totally unrelated liberal wish list. 🤬

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I've been saying for years that this country's infrastructure was in major need of an overhaul. I'm actually kinda happy Biden is interested in this. But, like every other democratic proposal, they want to pass a bill to spend trillions of dollars and maybe 10% of it will actually go for the intended purpose. All the rest will be used to fund the totally unrelated liberal wish list. 🤬

Infrastructure has little to do with roads and bridges nowadays.  

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

There's a crack which is bad enough to close the bridge, but local TV seems to think it'll be repaired in just a day or two. Really?  I kinda have my doubts about that. 🙄

Haven't you heard of flex seal?

Flexseal GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Infrastructure is one of the few things that everyone agrees we desperately need to address but no one can agree how to pay for it. How do you find the money when we're already running a deficit like this? What are we even up to this year, $4 Trillion? More?