Hernando Desoto Bridge closed I-40 Memphis

11 minutes ago, Omega said:

Now it looks like the crack was there in 2016, ARDOT is in deep doodoo. 

This is from a personal photo in 2019.

https://www.ardot.gov/divisions/public-information/40-ms-river-bridge/

crack_june2019_michaelbakerintl_hernando

This one is from 2016:

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2021/05/18/photos-show-i-bridge-damage/

image.png.0ab406f033deb8b61560d8655d005635.png

Yeah I wouldn’t want to work at ARDOT right now.  Although they may soon have a few positions available. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ReeferMac said:

When we first moved here we told the kids "oh look, the cloud machine is running!"

They take everything Dad says with a grain of salt.

Buddy of mine just retired from there last year!  That new stack is supposed to be the latest and greatest clean-coal technology?

RE... " Stack and associated eqpt "... Yup.   Both fly ash, sulfur  and nitrogen emission controls...

leroy...

On 5/18/2021 at 8:03 AM, FUJIMO said:

That was my question as soon as it was discovered that there was rust in the break.

As far as our infrastructure it's an all too convenient target anytime politicians want money for something else. For those in TN when "dapper" Don Sundquist was in charge you'll remember we had an explosion of terrible bridges that needed repairs when he wanted to allocate a chit ton of tax dollars toward infrastructure. Sounds like the same old song and dance.

Not sure if it was the same time but I know in Vestal we had a very old and very decrepit bridge on Maryville Pike in Knoxville that was replaced and I was relieved for it.

6 hours ago, buck1032 said:

And if you look closely at that above photo, on the left side of the joint (opposite of the crack) the bottom edge looks corroded out also.

Yea, posted that on another site, and someone else posted that the brace above the main crack was bent as well, I missed it, guess that I was too focused on that large crack.  That has got to be a lot of stress to do all that, or possibly something hit it.

Going that way next month. Will use I 55 bridge I suppose. Going out 40 to the Grand Canyon. Usually drive from Murfreesboro to Little Rock for the first lag of our trip. HDB will not be opened for this trip. Be pulling a 35' RV. 

From the reports I've seen, westbound traffic seems to be moving pretty well. Its eastbound on the Arkansas  side that seems to have the most problems. Is that about right? 

On another board I visit, a trucker reported that yesterday there was a minor accident on the I-55 bridge that clogged up eastbound traffic all the way back into West Memphis.  He just found himself a motel rather than fight it. . 🥴

Thankfully, I currently have no need to travel west. I'm trying my best to keep it that way. 🙄

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

From the reports I've seen, westbound traffic seems to be moving pretty well. Its eastbound on the Arkansas  side that seems to have the most problems. Is that about right? 

On another board I visit, a trucker reported that yesterday there was a minor accident on the I-55 bridge that clogged up eastbound traffic all the way back into West Memphis.  He just found himself a motel rather than fight it. . 🥴

Thankfully, I currently have no need to travel west. I'm trying my best to keep it that way. 🙄

That is correct. That’s a function of the way those ramps work from the west leg of 55 to the bridge at Crump. Westbound it stays as two lanes the entire way, eastbound squeezes down into a single lane with a 20 mph curve. That’s a hell of a bottleneck for what was 40k vehicles per day prior to the closure. 

• Wow 1
  • 1 month later...