Is $0.50 per gallon of gasoline increase in 3 days considered price gouging??

To put it simply, no.  TN law allows great leeway in what is considered “gouging”.  In other words it is vague and does not protect the consumer.  Big surprise.

Even though the pipeline is cranking back up gas stations are already trucking in gas from far away places.  That is going to cause a noticeable spike in prices over the next little while.

That being said, damn skippy some smaller outfits are going to take advantage of the situation.  That’s capitalism, right?  

• Like 2

Well, at least everyone will not be beaching about the price of primers/powder/boolits for a week or two.  😏

87 octane was $2,86/gal at wally world today for me.  I was a bit surprised for a second that they had gas, but then I remembered it was walmart/murphy and they can get stuff when no one else can.  

• Like 1

Not that I agree with the drastic increase in gas prices around these shortages, etc., I heard an explanation a couple of years ago that makes sense, at least in my mind.    Gas stations set their prices based on what they will have to pay to refill their storage tanks, not what they paid for the gas currently sitting in their tanks.   I guess technically a lot of product costs are based that way, just seems gas is more prone to do so.   So supply and demand pricing affects both the gas station and consumer.    

2 hours ago, jpx2rk said:

Well, at least everyone will not be beaching about the price of primers/powder/boolits for a week or two.  😏

87 octane was $2,86/gal at wally world today for me.  I was a bit surprised for a second that they had gas, but then I remembered it was walmart/murphy and they can get stuff when no one else can.  

I worked for a company that did Gas & Go setups back in the late 90's. We piloted a new setup at Sam's in Asheville when they were trying to win Wal-Mart. I sat there in a shed for a few months watching out a 2 way mirror window in case anything broke. They had the best price on the street plus they had also started the 5 cents off with a Walmart Gift Card. That station with 12 pumps, pumped 26,000 gallons of gas a day. They had an automatic tank monitor that faxed in orders 24 hours a day when the levels reached a certain level. They would get 3 or 4 trucks deliveries a day. 

I actually saw them have to come out and stop another local small gas station from filling up a 500 gallon tank truck. With the 5 cents off, the gas was cheaper that the owner could get it from his distributor, 

I am guessing we are going to hear of at least one guy trying to turn unfired bullets into gas by way of threat of violence. 

Is $0.50 per gallon of gasoline increase in 3 days considered price gouging??

It depends.  If you're selling it to me, then yes.  If I'm selling it to you, then no, it's just capitalism at work ...

We took a trip to Alabama/Mississippi last Thursday and I never paid more than$2.89 only saw a few stations with bags on the pumps indicating out of gas or particular grade. It appears that the metro areas were the hardest hit, we are our worst enemies by buying 5 times the gas or T.P. or bullets we normally buy and everyone else copies what the neighbor is doing.

• Like 1

Back to the OP, no. $0.50/gal. increase wouldn't qualify as price gouging any any way.

If the station had the only gas in town and was suddenly selling for $5/gal or more then maybe the state would take action. The higher it gets, the more likely the state will step in. It takes that big of a jump for it to be considered gouging.