WTH did i just buy?

Looks like a modified Snider-Enfield rifle.  At some point it lost its original rear sight and a few other bits.  I suspect that its either Egyptian or Pakistani from the markings.

Edit:  There's one on Gunbroker that looks very similar, according to that listing its a shotgun conversion of  an old Snider-Enfield and used by the Egyptian police.  In any case, its a cool old gun ...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/896481015

• Like 3
16 hours ago, 19_A_CPT said:

Seems to be the Snider Enfield 1853 that got reworked in 1917 for the Egyptian Police. 

A genuine " Blast from the past "...! I remember seeing these for sale n handling a few when I wuz in my 20s.  I'm now 74... HEHEHE.  A great piece of history from the once great British Empire.  

admirin leroy. 

• Love 1

While very interesting and unique and has some historical provenance I would classify that as a wall hanger.  Ain't good for much else and if the need arises for an improvised club, it'll be there hanging on the wall.

1 hour ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

While very interesting and unique and has some historical provenance I would classify that as a wall hanger.  Ain't good for much else and if the need arises for an improvised club, it'll be there hanging on the wall.

The OP's gun seems to be missing the firing pin, and maybe other parts as well.  From what I was able to find on these, it seems a lot of them were imported into this country with missing firing pins, probably as a result of being demilled by Egypt, or whatever country these came from.  I suppose you could replace the missing parts, although I'm also sure that it would be a long and arduous process to locate whatever you needed to make it usable again.  I do know that ammo and components for loading, while expensive and rare, is available ...

4 hours ago, No_0ne said:

The OP's gun seems to be missing the firing pin, and maybe other parts as well.  From what I was able to find on these, it seems a lot of them were imported into this country with missing firing pins, probably as a result of being demilled by Egypt, or whatever country these came from.  I suppose you could replace the missing parts, although I'm also sure that it would be a long and arduous process to locate whatever you needed to make it usable again.  I do know that ammo and components for loading, while expensive and rare, is available ...

I plan to find the parts to put it back together, either original or remanned. She's a little ugly but 175ish years old so what can i say. I do not plan to shoot it, however, I will have one of the rounds just to converse about. 

https://www.ima-usa.com/collections/snider-rifle-parts

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/antique-replica-gun-parts-accessories

https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/SNIDER-p1.html

https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/RIFLE__MUSKET_PARTS___ACCESSORIES.html

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=snider+enfield&_sacat=0

Some links I found with a quick search that might help you get started.  Good luck, just be aware that restoring antique weapons often proves more expensive than simply buying a complete weapon outright.  Canada and Great Britain are likely to be your best sources of parts for the Snider conversion.  The English P1853 rifle was used extensively in the American Civil War, so some of the non-converted parts are easily found here in the states.

Iv got 2 sniders. A very nice complete Indian one in 50 something cal that I hope to rebarrel to 50-70 some day. The other is a Belgian 12g African trade gun. That one has a brass receiver. The barrel had a pretty good bend in it and was rough so I cut it down to 18" and it hangs over the fireplace. Interesting old guns for sure. Good luck getting yours more complete.

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 1
On 5/13/2021 at 11:03 PM, xtriggerman said:

Iv got 2 sniders. A very nice complete Indian one in 50 something cal that I hope to rebarrel to 50-70 some day. The other is a Belgian 12g African trade gun. That one has a brass receiver. The barrel had a pretty good bend in it and was rough so I cut it down to 18" and it hangs over the fireplace. Interesting old guns for sure. Good luck getting yours more complete.

I'd love to see pictures of them sometime

• 2 months later...