Driveway Alarm

Been several months since we installed our driveway alarm. Turns out we really like it. Took a while to get accustomed to the chime, but it has turned out to be a real asset. Our dog has even learned to go look out when it goes off. The chime is loud enough to wake us up at night. 

It goes off every time someone comes into the drive. I located the magnetic sensor in the middle of the driveway and the wireless transmitter in a tree beside the drive. Painted the transmitter box grey to match the tree trunks. There are trees and a fence keeps people on the drive until they get past it. 

After an uninvited guest, that was ransacking unlocked vehicles in driveways around here, just 2 nights before Christmas this year, we got the alarm. 

It just went off and the Mail Man just brought a package, and put it in our package box up close to our house. Our drive is 325' long. The magnetic sensor is about 35' up the drive. By the way I think we caught a Porch Pirate, a couple months ago, as he entered just after the Fed X dropped a package of medicine on our front porch then exited the drive. I went out and he was startled, then  he stammered around and asked who lived here, which was a ruse, IMO. We have never had that to happen in 35 years that we lived here. 

There  are advantages and disadvantages, but we are well satisfied with our alarm. Cost me 245.00 from Amazon.  

• Like 2

So glad you like it, dogs, we have 4 and all of them know just what that sound means. The price is well worth the disadvantages. Ours has been in constant use for 2 years, batters still good, now that I have said that they will go weak in a few days. Congrats on the peace of mind.

• Like 1

Yes ReeferMac. A Dakota Alert DCPT-4000. My wife really likes the system as she is home by herself sometimes and likes to know if someone enters. This thing has not failed. Catches people coming and leaving. Highly recommend it for someone living a distance  off road.  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, RED333 said:

So glad you like it, dogs, we have 4 and all of them know just what that sound means. The price is well worth the disadvantages. Ours has been in constant use for 2 years, batters still good, now that I have said that they will go weak in a few days. Congrats on the peace of mind.

The dogs learn fast! My dog learned the sound of ring camera alerts real fast! It’s surprising to me how may words they learn too!

We have a Dakota MURS system. Our driveway is about 2400' and we installed it just off the road. We have a gravel drive with tactical potholes so it takes newcomers a little over a minute to get to the house. Plenty of time to "get ready."  Have used it for several years. Originally had a wired version closer to the house, but lightening was bad about frying the electronics. This one has been much better. I actually have it tied into a Homeseer system so I get a text message anytime it's activated in addition to the chime.

16 hours ago, seez52 said:

We have a Dakota MURS system.

Is this a "motion" sensor?  I did not want a motion sensor, every dog, cat, racoon, opossum and the like will set it off. The one poppop and we use is set off by a steel vehicle, uses magnetism.

I used 5 motion activated driveway sensors programmed to one receiver.  They are placed in select locations around the property with different alert tones so I know which way to look.  Critters don't really cause any problems with false alerts.  They have been very effective.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RED333 said:

Is this a "motion" sensor?  I did not want a motion sensor, every dog, cat, racoon, opossum and the like will set it off. The one poppop and we use is set off by a steel vehicle, uses magnetism.

No, it uses an underground sensor. The MURS refers to the frequency it transmits the signal on. MURS will do a longer distance that some. My sensor is almost half mile from my base station and through some dense woods and not line of sight. It's right on the edge of working. I just put a better antenna on it and that has helped. I also just converted it off the 123 batteries to an external gel cell. Don't know yet how long it's going to last on a charge but those 123s were getting pricey and would only last about 3 months. Less in the winter. 

4 hours ago, seez52 said:

No, it uses an underground sensor. The MURS refers to the frequency it transmits the signal on. MURS will do a longer distance that some. My sensor is almost half mile from my base station and through some dense woods and not line of sight. It's right on the edge of working. I just put a better antenna on it and that has helped. I also just converted it off the 123 batteries to an external gel cell. Don't know yet how long it's going to last on a charge but those 123s were getting pricey and would only last about 3 months. Less in the winter. 

Very nice, you have a link to the unit?

12 minutes ago, seez52 said:

This is the one I have. It's available elsewhere if you don't like Amazon. It's just easier to get a link there. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dakota-Alert-MAPS-BS-Kit/dp/B00KX032S4/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=dakota+alert+murs&qid=1621122605&sprefix=Dakota+alert&sr=8-5

About like the one I have, but mine is more line of sight, not  a big issue for me.

• Like 1