55 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Why?  It is already legal to carry a gun in a car without a permit.

Because of numbers.  More people will carry more frequently.  I would also bet the majority are unaware of permitless carry in autos.

• Like 1

The problem I see with permitless carry or with permits that are issued without any classes is that people probably aren't aware of the laws of what they can or can't do. The classes at least touch on some of the laws on the use of deadly force. I doubt most of those who carry that haven't had to take a class are aware or even look at what is legal to do or not do. They then find out the hard way when they pull a gun and then say "I thought that wqs legal to do" and find out otherwise.

Edited by lock n' load
  • Like 5
  • 1 month later...

I took the class years ago.  I do not think taking legal advice from a carry instructor is wise.  Laws change, it is up to each person to stay informed and understand the laws.  I carry class is not even the beginning of what one needs to be prepared to carry a firearm.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, 45guy said:

I took the class years ago.  I do not think taking legal advice from a carry instructor is wise.  Laws change, it is up to each person to stay informed and understand the laws.  I carry class is not even the beginning of what one needs to be prepared to carry a firearm.  

The carry class has had at least 3 significant changes through the years; likely since you took the class.  You are correct in that the laws change frequently and it is one's responsibility to keep up with those changes.  Additionally, the 'legal' aspects of carry are dictated by the state and the Power Point presentation put out by the state for all instructors is to be followed explicitly.  The instructor my ad lib to a small degree, but the info is Homeland Security/Dept of Safety advice and rules dictated by statute.  And again you are correct, it is a never ending process of learning.

7 hours ago, chances R said:

The carry class has had at least 3 significant changes through the years; likely since you took the class.  You are correct in that the laws change frequently and it is one's responsibility to keep up with those changes.  Additionally, the 'legal' aspects of carry are dictated by the state and the Power Point presentation put out by the state for all instructors is to be followed explicitly.  The instructor my ad lib to a small degree, but the info is Homeland Security/Dept of Safety advice and rules dictated by statute.  And again you are correct, it is a never ending process of learning.

I took the 4 day defensive HG class at Front Sight near Vegas. They had attorneys there for some presentations, that was pretty helpful.   

• Like 1
On 5/17/2021 at 10:32 AM, lock n' load said:

The problem I see with permitless carry or with permits that are issued without any classes is that people probably aren't aware of the laws of what they can or can't do. The classes at least touch on some of the laws on the use of deadly force. I doubt most of those who carry that haven't had to take a class are aware or even look at what is legal to do or not do. They then find out the hard way when they pull a gun and then say "I thought that wqs legal to do" and find out otherwise.

I do worry about uninformed or uneducated folks deciding to use deadly force to protect their property. It seems like that is/was often depicted on TV and in movies.

Someone is stealing a car or some other piece of property and the owner pulls their gun to stop them or shoot at them. IRL (at least in Tennessee) someone is going to jail, and it is not just going to be the thief. 

• Like 2

We are looking at half of the story and making judgement. She said he was tailgating her but then she pulls in behind and exits her vehicle to take a picture. If I felt threatened I would have stayed in my vehicle. If you pull in behind and exit your vehicle and approach, how am I to know YOU are not the threat. Castle doctrine extends to one's vehicle here.

True.

But he should not have displayed the weapon unless he truly feared for his life. He could have kept it just below the window. I think it is pretty obvious he was trying to be intimidating. 

Does castle doctrine extend to out of state folks?  

I think y'all are missing an important point here. EVERYBODY has a phone. EVERY phone has a camera. EVERY idiot loves to document even the slightest infraction or even imagined infraction against them. 

DO NOT POSE FOR THE CAMERA! 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I think y'all are missing an important point here. EVERYBODY has a phone. EVERY phone has a camera. EVERY idiot loves to document even the slightest infraction or even imagined infraction against them. 

DO NOT POSE FOR THE CAMERA! 

agreed. in this instance a dash cam on he man's truck might have given a better idea of what went on. my point is if she was truly frightened she would never have exited her vehicle. gives me doubt that he instigated the confrontation.

He may not have instigated the situation, but he sure responded poorly. Even if she started it and then got out to film and spin the story her way, she got what she wanted when he f-ed up and brandished his pistol. 

On 7/6/2021 at 11:03 AM, Snaveba said:

He may not have instigated the situation, but he sure responded poorly. Even if she started it and then got out to film and spin the story her way, she got what she wanted when he f-ed up and brandished his pistol. 

No doubt. Lesson learned; keep it below line of sight and carry a caliber capable of penetrating sheet metal!

On 5/17/2021 at 11:24 AM, Chucktshoes said:

Permission slips from the state don’t make the irresponsible responsible and a lack of one doesn’t make the responsible irresponsible. 

Man O Man. Reading some of these comments just hurts my head. You are spot on with this.

• Like 1