Winchester Model 52 Reproduction - Japan

MemHeli

I've been looking to buy a Model 52 for a bit, and have just run across a reproduction made in Japan.  My research has produced mixed info.  Some say the rifles shoot great, others say they don't shoot as well as the original models.  Anyone have first hand experience with these reproduction models from Japan?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are nice rifles.   I have had both the browning version (52C) and the Winchester version (52B).  They are about like any other rifle out there today, some shoot great, some not so much.   I have shot some originals and the same holds true.  Some are better than others although they probably have less variation than new ones, but they were also no slam dunk.  Unless you want to spend thousands on a real 52C Sporter it's about your only option.  If possible, try to find them with the rings.  The browning rings can be a bit hard to find at times.

Only reason I sold mine is I didn't shoot them and I have kind of got out of keeping guns I never shoot.  

Edited by Hozzie

No experience with that particular rifle. Generally Japanese Winchesters are made by Miroku. I'd do a bit of research to be absolutely sure. If that's true, you can expect it to be a top quality rifle. Miroku is a first class gun maker. They don't make no junk. 

2 hours ago, Hozzie said:

They are nice rifles.   I have had both the browning version (52C) and the Winchester version (52B).  They are about like any other rifle out there today, some shoot great, some not so much.   I have shot some originals and the same holds true.  Some are better than others although they probably have less variation than new ones, but they were also no slam dunk.  Unless you want to spend thousands on a real 52C Sporter it's about your only option.  If possible, try to find them with the rings.  The browning rings can be a bit hard to find at times.

Only reason I sold mine is I didn't shoot them and I have kind of got out of keeping guns I never shoot.  

The one I’m looking at has rings and a weaver scope mounted. It’s clean enough but I’m suspect that a CZ would outshoot it and well best it for value.   Still, I’m tempted. 

My best friend has the repro Winchester Mod 52 made by Miroku in Japan. Whenever he pits his rifle against my CZ 452 American, sometimes he wins, sometimes I win - but the match usually ends in a very close draw. 

His Mod 52 is a bit more finicky about ammo than my CZ. Either way, they're both fine rifles.

WYT-P

Skyhunter 

17 hours ago, Skyhunter said:

My best friend has the repro Winchester Mod 52 made by Miroku in Japan. Whenever he pits his rifle against my CZ 452 American, sometimes he wins, sometimes I win - but the match usually ends in a very close draw. 

His Mod 52 is a bit more finicky about ammo than my CZ. Either way, they're both fine rifles.

WYT-P

Skyhunter 

Thank you for the comparison.  I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I want to tie up the cash or just go with a CZ.  Appreciate the shared experience.

18 hours ago, MemHeli said:

Thank you for the comparison.  I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I want to tie up the cash or just go with a CZ.  Appreciate the shared experience.

MemHeli -

I was contemplating getting into metallic silhouette shooting and trying to decide what rifle to buy. A long time friend (whose entire family participated in that sport) recommended the CZ 452 American "to start". At the time, spending $450 for the CZ made sense as opposed to $1500 for an Anschutz (ESPECIALLY considering I wanted it to knock down metal animal silhouettes!). So I bought the CZ and never regretted it. 

My 452 required a bit of tuning on the trigger, but that was all and it's a tack-driver with with bulk Winchester or Federal LR ammo or the high $$ Lapua or Wolf match ammo. I know that CZ has modified the 452 and it has a different model number now, but CZ's products have been Top-Notch in my experience.   

WYT-P

Skyhunter   

• 3 weeks later...

Good deal, not for me.  Ok deal, maybe.  If it is near new condition I would say the gun is worth $800.  Some wear, closer to 650-700.  Basic weaver scope can mean many different things.  Things are high now so maybe they have went up, but I wouldn't pay more than $750 for it with scope if I was looking for a good deal.

If it is perfect and has one of the really nice old gloss weaver scopes, then maybe $850.