Hunting revolver

Guest yankeegonesouthern

Guest yankeegonesouthern

OK, I have been seaching, reading, looking at, and holding(the best part) big bore revolvers. I have two in mind that feel good in my hand. A Taurus Raging Bull model 444 and a Colt Anaconda. Both are 44 mags, used but in good shape and $550.00 each. I haven't been able to shoot either yet but probably could if I made arrangments.

:D Sooo... I still just don't have a warm and fuzzy. Any advice?

Thanks, Dan

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

Well, I like the m29 by smith and wesson. I don't think you can go wrong by buying a new pistol, as i believe taurus fixed the problems they used to have on wheel gun timing back in the 80's...but the stigma remains. So i'd just get the one you like the best. I'd go at least 5 inches on the barrel for hunting.

If you are looking used, I'd stick with an M29 personally. I believe that they hold up better and if you get an old one, i bet it still shoots pretty good. Arguably they are the smoothest in DA.

For pure hunting, you might look at some of the new model single action rugers. They took a bit of the weight off and they shoot darn good. I've been looking at getting something like that in .357 for several years but i was thinking a plinking gun.

Guest Terry J

I plan on taking my 454 casull out this year hunting to see how it does. I like ruger redhawks myself in 44 but i wouldnt get a blackhawk in ruger. My buddy has a ruger 357 mag that he hunts with and its nice.

At one time, S&W and Taurus were owned by the same people. As I hear it, there was more advancement in technology coming from Taurus to S&W than the other way around.

I had a Taurus 44R (44 Mag) for a while and wish I had it back. Unlike some people...I think porting on a 44 Mag is definitely the way to go. :D

Guest Terry J
what are you hunting? water buffalos?:D

I would think anything smaller and all you'd have left would be a patch of hair with some gristle attatched!

:lol:

Anything that moves!!!! Squirrels beware!!! Actually Im hoping to gt up north and do some elk hunting. But if not i figured the first unsuspecting dear that wonders my way is not going to have much of a chance.

Guest yankeegonesouthern

Yeah, I read the ported barrel post. I really don't have much to say on that. I just need to get a 44 mag first. Ported would seem better for recoil but I ain't scared (big hands, wrists, arms, whole body, lol). The colt is sold and I think $550 is too much for a USED 444. I am still looking, no hurry here. Thanks for yalls input.

Dan