Optics for AR-15

Beltfed

New to the optics game.  I picked up an AR-15 several months back.  It’s got all these rails for mounting everything but a death ray.  It doesn’t look anything like the the M-16 we carried back in the day.  What I would like to now is....what is/are the best red dot/green dot optics I can mount on it.  I guess I have relied on iron sights for too long with my Garands, M1A, FN/FAL’s, etc.  Thanks

Money comes in to play for sure when it comes to what you “need”. Range toy or something you can depend on if situation is serious. 
For more budget friendly options but not crap optics I’d recommend:

Primary Arms red dots

Vortex Sparc

Holosun

Sig Romeo 5 (my fav in budget pick)

More money but better quality: 

Eotech (multiple choices)

Trijicon MRO

• Like 1

These days everyone is all about the LPVO. Low Power Variable Optics. Smaller lighter weight scopes with a true 1x up to about 10x although 4x and 6x seem to be the most popular. This gives you an option for some magnification but keeps the weight down. Many have illuminated reticles and many have some form of bullet drop compensation or ranging in the reticle. 

If you do want to stick with a holographic or traditional red/green dot what is mentioned above is solid. Vortex, Sig, and Holosun on the good but budget friendly side. Leupold, Trijicon, and Eotech on the higher end side. I have Holosun, Vortex, Leupold, and Eotech products on AR platform weapons and the Vortex is about the best bang for the buck but the Eotech is really nice. It does have an edge over the lower priced options but not enough to justify the cost on a range plinker for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 6:55 PM, Johnny Rotten said:

Check out Larue Tactical, their QD mounts are the best, they sell several optic options...

Aim Point red dot with 3x AP magnifier, QD and swing away magnifier mounts

2017-07-13_05-14-52

I agree. Larue Tactical mounts are high quality. Light weight and solid mounting on non slotted picatinny rails. 

On 5/26/2021 at 3:34 PM, gregintenn said:

Nothing wrong with iron sights. They are simple, tough, and the battery is never dead. Sometimes there's something to be said for tried and true.

And when you look through your dead optic, there they are. May have to hit a couple of buttons.

• Like 1

I run an Eotech on gun for field of view but a pricey option. A before you retire purchase option. 
i have the Romeo 5 on my other gun. An excellent sight for the money. An after retirement option. Both are great but I favor the Sig for the auto on/off feature. 

• 8 months later...

Sig Romeo 5 is the perfect place to start. I bought 3 of them when they were on sale for $100. Mine came with both a high and low mount. Cowitness with my irons on them pretty easy and can cover most distances fairly accurately. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I agree with something like the SIG Romeo 5 or similar from Holosun.

My priorities would be:

closed optic, no magnification

dot style reticle, the circle dots are nice and worth considering, but ultimately "I" use just the dot so that my sigh picture is the same on all my weapons.

shake awake (auto on when picking weapon up) and auto sleep

push button adjustments for brightness...knobs are out of date

easy to replace battery

not absolutely necessary, but I prefer a qd pic mount and folding iron sights for back up

solar powered has no real appeal to me, but if you can afford it...get it

IMO, LPVO's are great for shooting steel at the range, but not as good for close quarters self defense...MY OPINION!!!

I've got 2 AR setups, one for distance, one for closer targets. My distance one has a variable scope, with a cowitness sight mount, so if something breaks I've still got irons. My closer has had 5 different optics over the years but I've finally settled on the Vortex Sparc, imo it has the cleanest dot, I have an astigmatism in my right eye, and of all the sights I've used, even with my eye, Vortex has the second most crisp dots I've seen, the only better optics I've used have been Trijicon.