Cooking this morning

I switched from gas to charcoal years ago specifically to cook brisket after sampling some in West TX.  I've never gotten around to trying it, but my favorite marinated grilled chicken, porterhouse steaks, and even hot dogs are even better after the switch.  I don't adhere to the "might as well cook on the stove if you're gonna use gas" philosophy, but there is something about smoke.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2

I bought this Pellet Grill about a month or so ago. I've only made some Baby Back Ribs, about three racks about 3 weeks ago, and they turned out great fell right off the bone. This will be my first Brisket on it but I have used it for basic stuff like Burger's and Dog's, and it does real well so far. I like to try a charcoal grill like the Big Green Egg, or Commado Joe, but I can't justify the price for one of those just yet.

7 hours ago, Snaveba said:

So, how was the brisket?

Still cooking I reckon! 🤭

That IS the best coozie ever!

I'm interedted to see where this goes. I was a charcoal man until my wife got tired of waiting and bought a gas grill. I used to be particular about the charcoal, its kind of an art. Be at least 3-4 beers, I mean an hour or so, before the heat was just right for the meat.

Can't rush perfection M'Dear!

(Twists valve, twists second valve, click, click, WHOMP!)

"Beans are almost done, get off your ass, lets go."

She's a peach!!!

• Haha 2

It turned out great, took about 7-8hrs. I'm going to have to change my rub recipe this one was just a little to spicy for me this time, my tastes have changed do to my Chemotherapy treatments, so I'm going to have to back off the heat. All I really did was rub some yellow mustard on the brisket then mixed about 1 1/2 table spoon of salt, 4 1/2 table spoon of fresh ground pepper and a touch of dillo seasoning, mixed it together and rubbed it on the brisket then fired up the pellet grill set to the smoke setting for the first hr, then went to 225° for about 3hrs then turned it up a little to about 250° for about 2hrs. till it got to an eternal temperature of 160°-170•. Then I pulled it of and wrapped it in butcher paper and placed it fat side up for about 1.5hrs and just checked for tenderness and when I felt it was good to go I took it off and let it rest wrapped up for about 45minutes, then sliced it up and ate it. Turned out tender with just a little chew to it. This was the first time cooking a Brisket on a pellet grill I've always done it on a gas grill but I'm liking this pellet grill.20210522_101036.thumb.jpg.dd81d413890487362a68c25493f02da8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The flavor is good, you can control the amount of smoke on my Pellet Grill, I use Oak Pellets and Apple Wood Pellets. They make a few other flavors also. I never could cook on charcoal either I used to much and you could cook for three hours after I got done cooking or I used to little and had to remove the food to add more then wait for it to burn. I never tasted anything other than what I was cooking on my Gas Grill, I wish that the Holland Grill Company wouldn't have went out of business, I'd buy another one of them it been a good USA made Grill that I bought 7yrs. ago. I thought about buying one of the Green Eggs, or Commado Joe's but I couldn't justify the $1000+ price tag for those right now.

• Like 1