My love for 22's

A little while back I posted about obtaining this pair of rifles.  I know we have some 22 guys that will appreciate these.

These are consecutive serial numbered Remington 40xb's from the CMP.  What's somewhat rare about these is 1) They are part of a small Air Force run towards the end of the government contract for 40x's and 2) they are as close to new as you will find out of the CMP.  In one case there is zero wear on the lugs or the lug raceways.  The other has so little I bet it hasn't been cycled 100 times.   The only real downside is the bolt's don't match the guns, but that's basically the way it is with CMP guns.

Anyway, I found a pair of excellent condition 20x Unertl's to go on them.  I have had mounts on order for 8 weeks and they finally came in yesterday.  Headed to a buddies this afternoon to shoot these.  I love shooting my custom 22's, but something about shooting these old guns is so satisfying.

spacer.png

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Raoul said:

Nice . I still say nothing is more fun than shooting a .22

I agree 100%, but cant put my finger on "why". A 12 ga slug will make a 5 gallon water jug EXPLODE! A rifle round will do the same at 100s of yards. There is just something about a 22 rifle or pistol for that matter that is more satisfying than just about anything else. Cheap fun?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I agree 100%, but cant put my finger on "why". A 12 ga slug will make a 5 gallon water jug EXPLODE! A rifle round will do the same at 100s of yards. There is just something about a 22 rifle or pistol for that matter that is more satisfying than just about anything else. Cheap fun?

Cheap is good. Especially these days 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RED333 said:

When I shoot .22 I'm 12 years old again shooting rats at the dump..

• Like 2

What's great about 22's is the vast number of types of shooting you can do.  For me, Rimfire Benchrest is my passion, but I can have about as much fun shooting just about any 22.  

This was just last night.  Got to where I don't even want to drag things to my range.  Just setup in the shop and shoot.

spacer.png

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 6

NOT FAIR.  But I definitely like the idea of that.  I am only 2 miles/5 minutes from the range where I shoot RF matches, so I can't complain too much, but I do have to use the truck to get there and haul all the associated stuff.  LOL

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hozzie said:

What's great about 22's is the vast number of types of shooting you can do.  For me, Rimfire Benchrest is my passion, but I can have about as much fun shooting just about any 22.  

This was just last night.  Got to where I don't even want to drag things to my range.  Just setup in the shop and shoot.

spacer.png

I am guessing that the shooting bench stays put most of the time? Tell me about the welders!

I would say I can 'Farm Weld'.   I wish I could weld better, but it gets me by when needed.  I have a Mig, Tig/Stick, and Plasma cutter, so fun to play with.  I just cut up some 4x10 sheets of 1/4" steel with the plasma.  Definitely easiest way to do it for me.

The bench is on a movable base I made.  Works good and gets it out of the way when needed.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Hozzie said:

The bench is on a movable base I made.  Works good and gets it out of the way when needed.

There are a few blocks there and the concrete top, that is a LOT of gravity! Please post a "how you made" the bench.

• Like 1