My list of small guns that work reliably

tercel89

I see a lot of small guns that people have but they tend to have problems. It's true that the smaller you go the more trouble that you have with semi-autos. I have heard , read , and studied about these and along some years found the right gun for the caliber that runs reliably for it's small size.  The Ruger LCP in 380. It's small and fits in the front pocket of many shorts and pants. I have carried mine for the last 2 years and every 6 months I will fire it with all the lint it collected and dust. It runs great. The Glock 43 in 9mm. I have had 2 and they both ran like a well oiled sewing machine. Sold one but then realized that I made a mistake. It's so good I got another one. Simple 9mm and with very few parts. The Springfield Armory XDS 45. I got this one used and ran it dirty , and clean . It runs and runs . To me it's the smallest 45ACP you can get that is reliable. It has a grip-safety that I don't like but it is very easy to engage even with a loose grip. The S&W M&P Shield in .40S&W . What better to run a .40S&W caliber than in it's own creator's gun. It runs and works great. The Shield , G43 , and XDS45 are all the same size in thickness , length and width plus or minus a few thousands of an inch.  These guns run great and have had scratches and scuffs , had dust and saw dust in them while I was cutting wood , mowing grass , and whatever else. None has failed nor rusted. In case you want a small pocket gun that will last , try these 4 . I thought this may help some people with their decisions. have a good day ! 

Resized_20210525_092949.jpeg

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 4
19 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I don't have any of the others, but I've carried an LCP for more than a decade now. I shoot it often, and it's never given any problem. I consider the LCP as close to a perfect pocket pistol as is available.

It's a great pocket gun in the summer when its hot and you have shorts on . And a great fishing gun. 

• Like 1

since you brought it up. Kel Tec .32 ACP has been with me for over 20 years. I also have a Browning Baby if I need something REALLY small. Both are reliable with the Browning being 100% And the Kel Tec failing once.

I did slip my 8 round 4 inch .357 in the pocket of my shorts Sunday not intending to get out of the car. Wound up having to traipse through walmart. we had no issues. carry and concealed comfort are relative to clothing and determination.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, tercel89 said:

I see a lot of small guns that people have but they tend to have problems. It's true that the smaller you go the more trouble that you have with semi-autos. I have heard , read , and studied about these and along some years found the right gun for the caliber that runs reliably for it's small size.  The Ruger LCP in 380. It's small and fits in the front pocket of many shorts and pants. I have carried mine for the last 2 years and every 6 months I will fire it with all the lint it collected and dust. It runs great. The Glock 43 in 9mm. I have had 2 and they both ran like a well oiled sewing machine. Sold one but then realized that I made a mistake. It's so good I got another one. Simple 9mm and with very few parts. The Springfield Armory XDS 45. I got this one used and ran it dirty , and clean . It runs and runs . To me it's the smallest 45ACP you can get that is reliable. It has a grip-safety that I don't like but it is very easy to engage even with a loose grip. The S&W M&P Shield in .40S&W . What better to run a .40S&W caliber than in it's own creator's gun. It runs and works great. The Shield , G43 , and XDS45 are all the same size in thickness , length and width plus or minus a few thousands of an inch.  These guns run great and have had scratches and scuffs , had dust and saw dust in them while I was cutting wood , mowing grass , and whatever else. None has failed nor rusted. In case you want a small pocket gun that will last , try these 4 . I thought this may help some people with their decisions. have a good day ! 

Sir, I like the way you approach things.  I have these exact same semi-autos and rotate them for carry for all of your same reasons.  

These have become "tried and true" weapons and it is good to see them appreciated.

On 5/25/2021 at 9:51 AM, tercel89 said:

I like your choices.  I have been happy with the LCP, I have the older model. 
My other favorite is a 60s vintage S&W model 37.  If it isn’t reliable I don’t keep it.  
I forgot to mention the Bersa .380 that was a good one too. 

Edited by kentmck
  • Like 1

Love the LCP, especially with the new Federal .380  Hydra-Shok Deep Premium 99 grain ammo.  It's the only .380 ammo to ever pass the FBI 12 inch penetration test.   Very hard to find, I got mine after being on a long waiting list at sgammo.com.

35 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

Love the LCP, especially with the new Federal .380  Hydra-Shok Deep Premium 99 grain ammo.  It's the only .380 ammo to ever pass the FBI 12 inch penetration test.   Very hard to find, I got mine after being on a long waiting list at sgammo.com.

Winchester makes a fmj with a wide, flat nose. I figure those would be a good compromise between penetration and leaving a significant hole.

• Like 1

My Small Gun Rotation is a Ruger LC9S Pro, a XDs .45acp, a S&W 442, a Walther Stainless PPK and a Ruger LCP for when I need a really small pistol.  It used to be a Keltec P32, that I "lent" to my daughter... I'll never see that one again.  Currently, I'm carrying the XDs .45ACP.  My wife is carrying the LC9S.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

My wife's p238 has been extremely reliable. We even took a defensive pistol class with it once and it took the abuse just fine. 

wife wants one a P238. Can't say I blame her.

23 minutes ago, Moped said:

My Small Gun Rotation is a Ruger LC9S Pro, a XDs .45acp, a S&W 442, a Walther Stainless PPK and a Ruger LCP for when I need a really small pistol.  It used to be a Keltec P32, that I "lent" to my daughter... I'll never see that one again.  Currently, I'm carrying the XDs .45ACP.  My wife is carrying the LC9S.

one of my kids asked to borrow mine. I knew better

• Haha 2
On 5/25/2021 at 4:39 PM, papa61 said:

Kel Tec .32 ACP has been with me for over 20 years.

I also own a Keltec P32.  Before I bought it I did some research and read that it works reliably (no rim lock) if you use FMJ. I've fired a couple of hundred rounds of Fioccho 73gr FMJ though mine with nary an issue. If you want a mouse gun, the Keltec is the smallest, lightest, reliable option out there.  I also have a Ruger LCP II which is just a fraction larger than the P32 in length and width, but is quite a bit wider.  The big difference is in the weight.  The LCP II is 10.6 ounces (unloaded ) and the P32 is 6.6 ounces.  When not using a 9mm (OWB), I find myself pocket carrying the P32 a bit more than the LCP II.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, billmeek said:

I also own a Keltec P32.  Before I bought it I did some research and read that it works reliably (no rim lock) if you use FMJ. I've fired a couple of hundred rounds of Fioccho 73gr FMJ though mine with nary an issue. If you want a mouse gun, the Keltec is the smallest, lightest, reliable option out there.  I also have a Ruger LCP II which is just a fraction larger than the P32 in length and width, but is quite a bit wider.  The big difference is in the weight.  The LCP II is 10.6 ounces (unloaded ) and the P32 is 6.6 ounces.  When not using a 9mm (OWB), I find myself pocket carrying the P32 a bit more than the LCP II.

I have run two different hollow points through mine as well. It is rock solid.

I also have to add, I only own ONE striker fired pistol, being the Browning Baby. I believe in hammers.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I wouldn't mind giving one of those XDS 45s a try. You've intrigued me.

When they first came out I thought the capacity was so low at 6rds but now that im older and fatter , I like its thinness and its ability to be carried in a front pocket or belt holster. I got mine used for $358. The slide and striker are a lot easier to take apart than regular XD pistols. When I got it I took out the striker and cleaned the striker channel in  case it was gunked up with grime. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, tercel89 said:

When they first came out I thought the capacity was so low at 6rds but now that im older and fatter , I like its thinness and its ability to be carried in a front pocket or belt holster. I got mine used for $358. The slide and striker are a lot easier to take apart than regular XD pistols. When I got it I took out the striker and cleaned the striker channel in  case it was gunked up with grime. 

When I carry the XDs, I have extra 7 round mags that I carry in a mag holster.  The bases on those mags, have a bad tendency to dig into my side.  Other than that, I really like the little pistol!

However... my Favorite LGS, has the new Springfield 9mm XDs with the CT reddot on it for $499... and the . 45ACP XDs might get traded... Haven't decided yet. Might trade the S&W 442 instead...

20 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Well, nice guns everybody. I've got a 15 shot 9mm that runs good and shoots good but, am embarrassed to say what it is.

I have an affinity for Firestar and I wouldn't be embarrassed of whatever I am comfortable with that works. At one point my tackle box gun was a Jennings .22. That one was only dependable with stingers.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, tercel89 said:

Want your money back?😀

52 minutes ago, papa61 said:

I have an affinity for Firestar and I wouldn't be embarrassed of whatever I am comfortable with that works. At one point my tackle box gun was a Jennings .22. That one was only dependable with stingers.

It's a Sccy Cpx2. Actually a nice little gun. I bought a Pro Mag 15 round mag and a butt extension for it. Feeds and shoots good. Hollow points too. Some hotter handloads are a little rough in it though.

• Like 1