My list of small guns that work reliably

tercel89

1 hour ago, Quavodus said:

It's a Sccy Cpx2. Actually a nice little gun. I bought a Pro Mag 15 round mag and a butt extension for it. Feeds and shoots good. Hollow points too. Some hotter handloads are a little rough in it though.

Same engineers that designed the Kel Tec started SCCY. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. It's on my list.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Quavodus said:

It's a Sccy Cpx2. Actually a nice little gun. I bought a Pro Mag 15 round mag and a butt extension for it. Feeds and shoots good. Hollow points too. Some hotter handloads are a little rough in it though.

I meant to pick up one of those back when they were nearly giving them away, but never did. I’ve heard others brag about them.

On 5/26/2021 at 5:53 PM, gregintenn said:

Winchester makes a fmj with a wide, flat nose. I figure those would be a good compromise between penetration and leaving a significant hole.

Yeah , on my .380 lcp I just use FMJ . I use the round nose to try to give it a little more easier way to make it up yhe feed ramp. But mine has ran a whole box of the flat nosed ones just fine. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Moped said:

When I carry the XDs, I have extra 7 round mags that I carry in a mag holster.  The bases on those mags, have a bad tendency to dig into my side.  Other than that, I really like the little pistol!

However... my Favorite LGS, has the new Springfield 9mm XDs with the CT reddot on it for $499... and the . 45ACP XDs might get traded... Haven't decided yet. Might trade the S&W 442 instead...

Keep your 442. Don't get rid of it. Thats the perfect small revolver in my.opinion. 

• Like 1

I carried a Star PD .45 for many years.  The XDs .45 is the first pistol that came along that was worth retiring the Star.  I've carried the XDs for a couple of years now and the more I use it, the more I like it.

I also have a KelTec P3AT I use when it's too hot to carry the XDs.  As long as I use nice, hot ammo, it is 100% reliable.

I also like the original Remington model 51 in .380.  Mostly just because it fits my hand so nicely!  But it's also 100% reliable.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I had gotten a  SCCY Cpx2 in a trade. A quick inspection showed clever gun with decent finish. The gun did not work. I called  the company. I found there had been two upgrade since my gun was made. Got the gun updated. I have fired a hundred handloaded rounds made up with Lyman 356402 cast bullets. The last 46 rounds were PC'ed +15 rounds of Hornady 147 gr. defense loads. I had two malfunctions with the reloaded ammo. Right, these guns do not digest high pressure loads very well. For a small  gun his SCCY will do very well for me.  I'm going to stick with factory hollow points for carry.

Edited by Mowgli-Terry
Old age and run down condition
6 hours ago, 1gewehr said:

I carried a Star PD .45 for many years.  The XDs .45 is the first pistol that came along that was worth retiring the Star.  I've carried the XDs for a couple of years now and the more I use it, the more I like it.

I also have a KelTec P3AT I use when it's too hot to carry the XDs.  As long as I use nice, hot ammo, it is 100% reliable.

I also like the original Remington model 51 in .380.  Mostly just because it fits my hand so nicely!  But it's also 100% reliable.

Ain't much in the way of sights on the old 51 Remingtons, but they were the best, most ergonomic handgun ever designed in my opinion. They point like a finger, they are thin, and the way the action works reduces recoil. Way ahead of their time. I like them so well I have a pair.

3 hours ago, Mowgli-Terry said:

I had gotten a  SCCY Cpx2 in a trade. A quick inspection showed clever gun with decent finish. The gun did not work. I called  the company. I found there had been two upgrade since my gun was made. Got the gun updated. I have fired a hundred handloaded rounds made up with Lyman 356402 cast bullets. The last 46 rounds were PC'ed +15 rounds of Hornady 147 gr. defense loads. I had two malfunctions with the reloaded ammo. Right, these guns do not digest high pressure loads very well. For a small  gun his SCCY will do very well for me.  I'm going to stick with factory hollow points for carry.

What I meant by hotter handloads being a little rough, was hurts your hand some. It fed them just fine.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:39 PM, Quavodus said:

What I meant by hotter handloads being a little rough, was hurts your hand some. It fed them just fine.

This had do with the way cartridges were ejected. On my top end loads the primers were flattened. Those were signs, to me, that the load needed to be reduced.

I have not fired many factory rounds but on the recovered  brass the primers were not flattened. Ejection was not violent. That's what I was talking about.  The updated SCCY was reliable with malfunctions related to reload problems.  I shoot full size guns so the recoil of the SCCY went unnoticed.

Edited by Mowgli-Terry
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I have been looking for another one of these ever since I let my last one get away in a trade and finally found this one a friend of mine was willing to part with. He said it has been a safe queen since he got it and has had 1 mag fired through it to make sure everything worked properly. He has the box for it also and will dig it out and bring it to me. BT got my last one in a trade for his Model 60 Bersa he knew I wanted and he wanted my Body Guard so we just traded. 

DSCF2516.JPG

DSCF2517.JPG

• Like 1
7 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I have been looking for another one of these ever since I let my last one get away in a trade and finally found this one a friend of mine was willing to part with. He said it has been a safe queen since he got it and has had 1 mag fired through it to make sure everything worked properly. He has the box for it also and will dig it out and bring it to me. BT got my last one in a trade for his Model 60 Bersa he knew I wanted and he wanted my Body Guard so we just traded. 

DSCF2516.JPG

DSCF2517.JPG

What's the mag. capacity on it? 6 or 7?

• 2 weeks later...