Joe Biden's ATF Nominee CRUMBLES When Asked To Define An "Assault Weapon"

21 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I got lots of words in multiple languages I can use for that guy. 

None of them are acceptable here. 

All I know is American English, and none are acceptable ether!!!

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I got lots of words in multiple languages I can use for that guy. 

None of them are acceptable here. 

1 minute ago, RED333 said:

All I know is American English, and none are acceptable ether!!!

lets use acronyms then - SAD

I can see why he struggled to answer this question, as the term "assault weapon" is both ambiguous and largely meaningless.  Gun control advocates have used the term to stigmatize "scary looking guns" for a long time, dating as far back as Californian efforts to ban semiautomatic rifles with detachable magazines in the 80's.  In all fairness, many gun manufacturers have, at various times used the same term as an advertising ploy to try and stimulate sales of early AR15's and similar variants, which at the time were very not familiar to the shooting public.  Today of course, these rifles are among the most popular and widely purchased in America, and the stigma associated with the term has relegated its use to advocates of bans and other forms of gun control.  Chipman doesn't want to seem overly supportive of the most radical ideas on gun reform, so his obtuseness is understandable, as well as his inability to define "assault weapon".  My guess is his nomination will come down to how Manchin and perhaps a couple of other senators vote, much like most other issues today.  They could save a lot of time, and useless sound bites for both sides, if they would just gather up the half dozen senators who are actually deciding all the current issues and have them meet and make the decision ...

• Like 5
20 hours ago, No_0ne said:

I can see why he struggled to answer this question, as the term "assault weapon" is both ambiguous and largely meaningless.  Gun control advocates have used the term to stigmatize "scary looking guns" for a long time, dating as far back as Californian efforts to ban semiautomatic rifles with detachable magazines in the 80's.  In all fairness, many gun manufacturers have, at various times used the same term as an advertising ploy to try and stimulate sales of early AR15's and similar variants, which at the time were very not familiar to the shooting public.  Today of course, these rifles are among the most popular and widely purchased in America, and the stigma associated with the term has relegated its use to advocates of bans and other forms of gun control.  Chipman doesn't want to seem overly supportive of the most radical ideas on gun reform, so his obtuseness is understandable, as well as his inability to define "assault weapon".  My guess is his nomination will come down to how Manchin and perhaps a couple of other senators vote, much like most other issues today.  They could save a lot of time, and useless sound bites for both sides, if they would just gather up the half dozen senators who are actually deciding all the current issues and have them meet and make the decision ...

Assault rifles are select fire. Select fire is different from automatic rifle in that it can be fired in semi auto. Automatic rifle is a machine gun. We mere civilians are not allowed to have auto or select fire arms without a government issued permit. GCA 1968 needs to be repealed.

With the Armalite Rifle 15 being designated AR15 people just assumed it was a civilian model of the M16 main battle rifle. just because it looks like a duck. problem is, it doesn't quack like a duck :}

51 minutes ago, papa61 said:

Assault rifles are select fire. Select fire is different from automatic rifle in that it can be fired in semi auto. Automatic rifle is a machine gun. We mere civilians are not allowed to have auto or select fire arms without a government issued permit. GCA 1968 needs to be repealed.

With the Armalite Rifle 15 being designated AR15 people just assumed it was a civilian model of the M16 main battle rifle. just because it looks like a duck. problem is, it doesn't quack like a duck :}

All true, but the term in question is "assault weapon", which is the one I was referring to.  Pretty much no one ever refers to AR's and other such rifles as "assault rifles", as that is easily refuted by your argument.  "Assault weapon" is the generic term both sides use, or at least have used, when referring to Ar15's, either in endless efforts to either ban them, or as noted, at one time to promote sales ...

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

All true, but the term in question is "assault weapon", which is the one I was referring to.  Pretty much no one ever refers to AR's and other such rifles as "assault rifles", as that is easily refuted by your argument.  "Assault weapon" is the generic term both sides use, or at least have used, when referring to Ar15's, either in endless efforts to either ban them, or as noted, at one time to promote sales ...

I do not remember where the term came from. I do know the military never referred to M16 as assault rifle. Wherever it came from it was a misnomer when applied to AR15. just as AK47 is incorrect for what we can walk in and purchase. We have access to the AKM which is modified. I believe the whole idea of the anti gunners is to be vague as Chipman demonstrated so that agencies can interpret it any way they want effectively removing the legislative branch.

• Like 1

I wonder if the bastard ever thinks about what he and his people did at Waco? 

I'm not saying David Koresh was a saint but, a lot of innocent people died there. And I don't think the Government had any business there.

Edited by Quavodus
  • Like 5
35 minutes ago, leroy said:

This ole boy appears to be either learning challenged, maladjusted, or insane.  Maybe a combination of the three. 

leroy.   

He's perfect for the guy that brung him. Kinda looks like one of those blow-up girlfriends too. 🙂 .   

image.png.a7d193a79dd0502beddd15c26c6d99ee.png

Edited by mikegideon
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, papa61 said:

I do not remember where the term came from. I do know the military never referred to M16 as assault rifle. Wherever it came from it was a misnomer when applied to AR15. just as AK47 is incorrect for what we can walk in and purchase. We have access to the AKM which is modified. I believe the whole idea of the anti gunners is to be vague as Chipman demonstrated so that agencies can interpret it any way they want effectively removing the legislative branch.

"Assault rifle" is the English translation of the German "Sturmgewehr", as in the Sturmgewehr 44.  This rifle was made during WWII as the earliest mass-produced, select fire, intermediate cartridge rifle adopted and used by military forces.  Some sources indicate that Adolf Hitler personally named the weapon, but there's no direct evidence of this and it is known that Hitler was opposed to new weapon development, as Germany's resources and production facilities were already strained.  In any case, as it was the first of these types of rifles to appear in combat, the German name stuck and is still used today to describe these types of rifles ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No matter what people say, the term "assault rifle" actually does have a clear and unambiguous definition, courtesy of the US Department of Defense:  Assault rifles are “short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges.”

Read it yourself:  Defense Intelligence Agency, Small Arms Identification and Operation Guide - Eurasian Communist Countries 105 (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1988). 

• Like 1

This guy has repeatedly broken his oath to support and defend the Constitution.  Of course, that is what passes for normal these days in DC.  But someone should bring up that he has promised in these hearings to violate the 2nd Amendment as much as he can.

The whole Waco involvement just points out how much of a sick character he is.

• Like 6

It’s simple really. The more vague the Democrats can make the law, the more guns they can confiscate from you and make you have to go to court to fight to keep them. Most can’t afford to do that and they know this. Voting with feelings and emotions (I want to vote for the first black/woman/Mexican/ muslim President etc...) rather than your brain most always has consequences and disaster.

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, AuEagle said:

branch div.png

Nice.  

I have a suppressor in jail and have a feeling the sentence will get extended if the Republicans allow this d-bag to be confirmed.  Elections have consequences and all that.  

Edited by deerslayer