So I picked up a PSA lower on the cheap because it has a bad area of anodizing and a slightly over drilled trigger guard mounting hole. 

7D7C8BF5-F4D7-43F6-80B3-8E9AB499CBAC.jpeg.9d15df8a1344c0360e4d107131b69658.jpeg

I can sand or blast the buggered up part of the anodizing, and a screw mounted trigger guard fixes the other issue. 

34AD5BE7-E6AC-4BEE-B188-2C837776C594.jpeg.b7701d0d92ecfb1d6638846cb8b5551d.jpeg

I buddy of mine has the setup to do cerakoting (he has been doing parts on an FJ40 restoration). So my plan is to Cerakote the lower and strip an upper down to coat it and it’s parts to match. 

My initial thought is maybe using SIG dark gray (it’s actually a Cerakote color) to coat the upper, lower, trigger guard, forward assist, ejection cover, hand guard and buffer tube. Leaving the grip, stock, barrel, and other small parts (takedown pins, safety, trigger pins, mag release, etc) black.  I think the small amount of black bits would highlight the dark grey nicely.  

I’m curious on folks thoughts on this two tone idea. 

If I go down this road I will definitely post an after.  

Edited by Snaveba

I would actually leave the forward assist and ejection cover black along with the pins, stock, grips, and mag. Plenty of gray with the upper, lower, and handguard and a nice contrast to it to have a bit more of the black. 

This is Titanium Gray Cerakote but similar in idea/style to what you are talking about. 
It is one of my favorite color schemes. I also like leaving the small parts and furniture black on FDE guns as well. 

imagestg.jpg.670d98b80a7a3dc311618d17cf2cd0d1.jpgA6BD7A5DC60018AB6B1417FC07DC9D725DD30C6A.jpg.f809a411bf1069a001ae2a858bd8f316.jpg

FB_IMG_1622637690158.thumb.jpg.75bdbe0a435b3af25b8fb02d3c927d0d.jpg

FB_IMG_1622637686560.thumb.jpg.32106ab6b04e3a5b8f3fe3908f19abda.jpg

The factory gun (top two pictures) has a black anodized receiver extension (buffer tube), no cerakote. 
My weapon (last two pictures) has the ACE Skeleton Stock which is not adjustable and does not have an exposed receiver extension. It has a foam sleeve that goes over the tube in the middle section. It is just an anodized tube though, no cerakote under the foam sleeve. 

• 1 month later...

So I came up with this on the first one. The color is Disruptive Grey (but with a bit more black added). The stock was sanded down and shot with graphite black, as was the forward assist and ejection cover. 
C6894F61-19D1-489D-9911-07B87E22C738.jpeg.b70bbfde3818a358155c83bc8a88aff8.jpeg

then I built a 300BO and did the reverse of the mix. 70% graphite black with 30% tungsten.