New Zero Turn Recommendations

My old Cub Cadet M48 Tank is getting tired and looking to upgrade in the next few days. I've got a 4k budget and would like some opinions on mowers from you guys. I mow about 2 acres with mostly flat ground and a few trees around. Any recommendations is welcome.

I called my local dealers looking for a Bad Boy and they was all on order. I came home with a Cub Cadet ZT1 54in, worked out a deal and got it for $3300 out the door. If it's anything like the M48 Tank I'll be pleased.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, leroy said:

Hustler ... Pick one ya like...

leroy. 

I bought a Hustler Fastrak about a month ago and I'm absolutely in love with it.  The suspension seat is where it's at!  Overkill for my 1.5 acres?  Absolutely, but with proper maintenance there is no reason that it shouldn't last 25 years or more, which makes it cheaper in the long run than a consumer grade mower.   I was actually going to buy a BadBoy but I didn't care for how I was treated at the local dealer. 

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Henry347 said:

I called my local dealers looking for a Bad Boy and they was all on order. I came home with a Cub Cadet ZT1 54in, worked out a deal and got it for $3300 out the door. If it's anything like the M48 Tank I'll be pleased.

It's probably not quite the mower that the older Tank series was, as they were built as commercial mowers and this series is more of a residential unit, but for a homeowner it will most likely give really good service for a long while.  They build these a few miles down the road from where I live, so I see a lot of these and other Cub products around here.  Own one of the ZT series with the conventional steering wheel myself ...

Exmark Lazer Z is an Awesome mower. 
I have seen them on market place and Craig’s list for under 4 k 

I run the crap out of mine and it is very comfortable (air ride seat) and the Kawasaki engines are hard to beat 

Brand is less important than components and materials used for construction. If it has a Kawasaki engine, a fully welded deck of heavier gauge stock, and commercial / semi-commercial components it is going to last the average homeowner a long time with proper maintenance. 

13 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

Install an electric fence and put a few head of cattle goats out there. You can sit on your porch and sip mint juleps and watch the ribeyes nannies get larger more attractive by the drink ...

FIFY

• Haha 1
On 6/5/2021 at 9:32 AM, 10-Ring said:

Made this modification to my Hustler yesterday.  Best use I've ever made of an Uncle Mike's holster. 

0604211758_HDR.jpg

I may have to steal your idea, like it. My Hustler is going on 6 yrs. Still going strong. No issues.

8 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

I may have to steal your idea, like it. My Hustler is going on 6 yrs. Still going strong. No issues.

I'll tell you the reason that I went with Hustler.  I had a neighbor who had a Fastrak and she absolutely beat the crap out of it.  Mowed about 6 acres of yard, then mowed several acres of pasture regularly to avoid the hassle of the tractor.  All the while, the machine received almost zero maintenance.  She got 15 years out of it before she toasted the piston rings (ran without oil) and the motor lost compression.  She purchased a brand new Fastrak after that.  I borrowed it one day when my mower bring and really liked it.  The suspension seat was particularly nice.  I figure with the maintenance schedule that I follow, and the fact that I cut 1.5 acres of flat clean yard, there is no reason that I shouldn't be able to get 25-30 years out of it. 

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 1

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Scag. I have had a Tiger Cub for 18 years and have only replaced a couple of belts and battery’s. It cost $4000 when new so it may be hard to get a Scag for $4000 but a lot of the mowers mentioned in this thread would be more than $4000.