Gutter guards?

I know this is random but I want to replace the gutters on the house we bought. Someone installed the real cheap gutter guards pictured below. As you can imagine, they don't work. All the gutters were full. Also, even when clean, the water pools on one end, and doesn't want to flow to the downspout. That's why I'm leaning towards total replacment.

Has anyone found gutter guards that actually work? There are parts of my roof I'll never reach with a ladder so I need something that works.

Also, if anyone has a Knoxville company they recommend, let me know.

0602211330a.jpg

Edited by Erik88

I put gutter guards on my house this year.  Getting way to old to climb.  Was having the gutters cleaned by a local guy in west Knoxville.  He suggested gutter guards.  I didn’t want to pay what the big companies get to do the install.  He said he would do for a price I though was fair.  He went to a building supply place and purchased the aluminum ones like some of the big boys use.  He said to stay away from plastic as the sun would do them in.  He also tied my gutters back in where they were loose.  If you live west, I can if you he information if you wish.

I installed the flat aluminum perforated guards about 3 years ago and they work well except in locations on my house where a high water velocity coming down the roof will wash right over the guard without going into the gutter. These are places where the roof is steep or where a downspout from a dormer or higher section of roof empties onto a lower roof. And I have the larger (6” or 8”, I don’t remember) gutters.  In those locations I went back to the wire guards like in your photo. 

And I’m in W. Knox as well and used All About Gutters and was happy with them. You can Google them. 

Edited by i1afli
  • Like 1

My parents live in the woods. They went through a couple iterations of those perforated attachments, none them work very well and all just made it harder to clean them out.   Dad finally gave in and had all the gutters replaced with the formed leaf guard type and they work. 

That said, the installer flaked out on them and they've had a terrible time getting the company to honor the warranty.   They ended up having a local independent guy come redo the whole back of the house because the downspouts were too small and too far apart. 

• Like 1

@i1afli @peejman

This is the product the first guy uses. Any idea if this is what you or your parents went with? I brought up the concern about high velocity areas and water missing the gutter. He said they could install something there that would sort of divert the water back into the gutter. 

43832.jpeg

Edited by Erik88
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

@i1afli @peejman

This is the product the first guy uses. Any idea if this is what you or your parents went with? I brought up the concern about high velocity areas and water missing the gutter. He said they could install something there that would sort of divert the water back into the gutter. 

43832.jpeg

Different brand but these are similar to what I had installed. I was concerned that anything added to catch the water would also catch leaves, etc., and I’d be right back where I started. 

I’ll be keeping up with this as I definitely need new gutters and guards of some type to keep out the catkins, helicopters, and leaves.  Tired of climbing up on the roof twice a year.

@Erik88, have you considered going to a gun show to see what they have to offer?  There used to always be a couple of gutter guard peddlers there. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I’ll be keeping up with this as I definitely need new gutters and guards of some type to keep out the catkins, helicopters, and leaves.  Tired of climbing up on the roof twice a year.

@Erik88, have you considered going to a gun show to see what they have to offer?  There used to always be a couple of gutter guard peddlers there. 😀

I'll keep you updated. First quote I got was $1,800 for a house that's probably similar in size to yours.  I'm getting 3 more quotes. 

Probably going to pass on the gun show gutter salesman. 😅

4 hours ago, Garufa said:

While you're there, you can pick up plenty of jerky, t-shirts and one of those bug zapper things ...

On 6/3/2021 at 7:52 PM, Erik88 said:

I'll keep you updated. First quote I got was $1,800 for a house that's probably similar in size to yours.  I'm getting 3 more quotes. 

@Garufa 2 of the companies that were supposed to show up last week to give me a quote never showed up, and never called me. 🙄

I did get a 2nd quote of $3,900, more than double the first guy. I have one more guy I'm waiting to get a quote from. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Wow 1
On 6/3/2021 at 1:28 PM, peejman said:

My parent's gutters look like this...

8-pc-2-1-300x202.jpg

The gutter guy showed up with a roll of flat aluminum sheet and a die set that forms the gutters so you can get really long, one-piece, gutters. No seams to leak. 

I haven't found anyone that sells this style yet. I'm not clear how that style is able to handle hard rain? Seems it would just fly off the front and not go down into the gutter. So far, every gutter company has a completely different opinion on which style works best and worst. I never imagined this would be such a difficult choice. 

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I haven't found anyone that sells this style yet. I'm not clear how that style is able to handle hard rain? Seems it would just fly off the front and not go down into the gutter. So far, every gutter company has a completely different opinion on which style works best and worst. I never imagined this would be such a difficult choice. 

Some water does roll off the edge when it pours, but its not enough to cause problems.  It's much less than when my regular gutters overflow because the downspout is clogged. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, No_0ne said:

You can always go with the do-it-yourself route:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.qwuP2RQyleeCFo_jzL6LdAHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/15/bc/51/15bc51dc054c6f174d1aec0ba1c7ef1d.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/27/31/57/2731570df87a0c1e18e71bebb6b8f7da.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/15/3f/28/153f2886a87b14c0dd48948c75a85967.jpg

In which case you can have a little fun with it:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.iT9WayKf6-UW145R1o8TCQHaFi%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Don't knock DIY plans. I recently painted my stairs like this. 

I made my wife climb the ladder.

0529211628.jpg

Edited by Erik88
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

@GarufaThis has been a major headache but I'm watching JMS gutters install the new ones. I ended up calling 5 companies but only getting 3 quotes.

• JMS Gutters- $2,140 to get new 5" gutters, guards, and drip edge. My roof was missing any drip edge so this was important to add. 
  • East TN Continuous Guttering- $3,150 for same as above except they do 6" gutters.
  • Daniel Hood Roofing- a shocking $4,700 for same as East TN guttering.
  • Joe's Custom gutters. Never showed up for their appointment here to give me a quote and never called me back.
  • Knoxville Gutter Solution-Same as Joe's. Never showed up.

Hopefully this info helps you when you eventually go to replace yours. For reference, I have around 130 ft of gutters and 100ft of downspouts. We went with black gutters instead of white.

• Thanks 1