TN sales tax on gun safes dropped for one year

Starting on July 1 at midnight through 11:59 p.m. on June 30, 2022, you won't have to pay sales tax in Tennessee on gun safes or other safety equipment.

Gun safes are defined as "a locking container or other enclosure equipped with a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or other locking device that is designed and intended for the secure storage of one or more firearms."

A gun safety device can be any device that can be added to a gun that permits the user to program the firearm to operate only for specified persons designated by the user "through computerized locking devices or other means integral to and permanently part of the firearm."

https://www.wbir.com/article/money/tennessee-tax-free-guns-food-back-to-school/51-12db1fd9-2680-44a4-9903-26115845186f

• Like 4
4 hours ago, DJTC45 said:

Great to know about the tax savings, but any new guns that you wants along with the any ammo will cost you more than the safe.

That's always been true.  Just more so today.  What's in my safe is worth much more than the price of the safe.  Always amazes me what we will spend on our toys but we will complain about the cost to store them securely.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's sad but true. The other day I was at a local LGS and was just looking around, they had some AR's and I was looking through the rack and found that they had about 5 S&W MP 15's for $750-$800 thought to my self that isn't a bad price, then it hit me the ammunition will cost me more than the AR, so I just put it back and came home.

• Like 2
On 6/3/2021 at 11:44 AM, DJTC45 said:

It's sad but true. The other day I was at a local LGS and was just looking around, they had some AR's and I was looking through the rack and found that they had about 5 S&W MP 15's for $750-$800 thought to my self that isn't a bad price, then it hit me the ammunition will cost me more than the AR, so I just put it back and came home.

I just ordered mine last night for $650, as part of a site's daily deal. I originally had wanted to get one from my local gun shop near me, but they had them listed for $899. While I am all for supporting local business by all means, kind of hard to pass that up. I did make sure to set up the Transfer through them, so at least I'll be able to give them some business as usual.