New around here

Hello! I'm Melissa, and our family is planning a move to TN. Yes, we are from the dreaded Commifornia, but patriots through and through. It's really gotten ridiculous out here to expect any level of freedom. I'm a firearms instructor, a mom of 6, CCW holder (yes, even here), and a liberty loving, Gadsden flag waving girl, who can't wait to see green grass, hear southern manners, and taste the freedom that our founding fathers provided for. 

Still determining whether we're going to be closer to Nashville or Knoxville, so feel free to convince us. Our scouting trip is in July.

I'm glad to find this forum. Thanks for letting me join. 

Blessings,
Melissa

• Like 2
2 hours ago, gungirldefense said:

Deal, I'll shoot with ya Red. Mt. Juliet is beautiful. Thanks for the welcome.

Like like everywhere else Mount Juliet grown leaps and bounds. Real estate is shot through the roof. You’re welcome to come to Mount Juliet repaired. Not trying to steer you away but further east Cookeville and Livingston, those areas are gorgeous and real estate has not gone to crazy yet. A little more east of Mount Juliet is. little  town called Watertown and Alexandria area and not a bad commute to Nashville. North of Lebanon up around Lafayette and a little further north another option.

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Like like everywhere else Mount Juliet grown leaps and bounds. Real estate is shot through the roof. You’re welcome to come to Mount Juliet repaired. Not trying to steer you away but further east Cookeville and Livingston, those areas are gorgeous and real estate has not gone to crazy yet. A little more east of Mount Juliet is. little  town called Watertown and Alexandria area and not a bad commute to Nashville. North of Lebanon up around Lafayette and a little further north another option.

Great info. Loving the properties on the Cumberland River too. Gallatin has a few. Torn between river view and boat dock or land for a range. It's likely too much to want both. A friend just moved to Cookeville, starter neighborhood there. Young family. Ours are almost grown, so we're looking toward a lazy retirement home. Boat life and shooting for fun on our own property. 

Edited by gungirldefense
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, gungirldefense said:

Boat life and shooting for fun on our own property. 

The great thing about Tennessee, there’s lots and lots of water. Just make sure you’re not in the city limits anywhere, most cities frown on shooting, Mount Juliet has an ordinance no projectiles of any kind, BB gun, slingshot, arrow, firearm. However I have been told that there’s a judge in Lebanon that will give you a letter so you can hunt in Mount Juliet city limits.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 1:50 PM, RED333 said:

The great thing about Tennessee, there’s lots and lots of water. Just make sure you’re not in the city limits anywhere, most cities frown on shooting, Mount Juliet has an ordinance no projectiles of any kind, BB gun, slingshot, arrow, firearm. However I have been told that there’s a judge in Lebanon that will give you a letter so you can hunt in Mount Juliet city limits.

Good to know! Thanks so much!

On 6/5/2021 at 12:28 AM, billmeek said:

Welcome  to the forums Melissa.  A friend of mine moved from here in Southern Middle TN to Florida when he retired a few years ago.  He sent me this link last yesterday:

Thanks for the video. Surprised about Morristown, friends just moved there, though more rural, outside town. 

Welcome neighbors!  As the three stars on our state flag indicate, we have three distant regions in our state.  If you like mountains,  the only free fee National Park in the nation (Great Smokies Mountains), lakes, and of course Dollywood and Pigeon Forge for the kids, then it East Tennessee.  Middle Tennessee is great also with the Nashville vibe and gentle rolling hills.  West Tennessee is flat, hot in summer but then there is Memphis, bbq, and if you like to roll the dice it’s near.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 5:28 PM, Beltfed said:

Welcome neighbors!  As the three stars on our state flag indicate, we have three distant regions in our state.  If you like mountains,  the only free fee National Park in the nation (Great Smokies Mountains), lakes, and of course Dollywood and Pigeon Forge for the kids, then it East Tennessee.  Middle Tennessee is great also with the Nashville vibe and gentle rolling hills.  West Tennessee is flat, hot in summer but then there is Memphis, bbq, and if you like to roll the dice it’s near.

Was going to say the same thing, only not nearly as eloquent and succinct. Really depends what you're looking for. Nashville is a big city, its sphere of influence is easily 2-3 hours drive. EastTN itself has different character between Knoxvegas and the Phar East. Never been further west,  so can't comment. 

• Like 1