What is a good price for a ww2 M1 Cabine?
I realize condition maker and how many original parts/ if it’s been refurbished or anything like that is a large factor.

Im looking for as much info on all of that as possible. 
also I have heard stay away from m1 carbines made for civilians, is this true?

Good price?  $1k is bargain basement for USGI these days.  It all depends on the manufacturer, condition, etc., etc.

There are several post-war manufacturers.  Plainfield, Iver Johnson, a brand new company called Inland (no relation whatsoever to the Inland division of General Motors from WWII) that is making brand new ones now.  Some of them are crap, some are decent.  Those made between 1942-1945 for the US military are unquestionably the best.

Edited by Garufa

Based on the photos, all signs point to yes, but know you're paying current market prices. Don't plan on a flip for profit any time soon. Also as was pointed out above, these do not include magazines so plan on adding that to your purchase list in the future, along with harder-than-usual-to-find .30 Carbine ammo.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Fair warning, the market prices for milsurps has only gone upwards in the last decade or so. Unless you get one handed down to you or manage to score one of those deals that folks talk about for years, these prices are likely as cheap as you’re going to see them. They’ll only go up from here. Sadly, 5 -10 years from now we will look back on these as being affordable. 

• Like 5

A month ago the price for a decent USGI  M1 Carbine was about $1000. Yesterday it was $1200-1400. Tomorrow the Midway rifles go on sale and who knows what the "going" rate will be after that. The age of cheap Mil-Surps is gone. Never to return. If you want one, now is the time regardless of price. 

• Like 4
On 6/6/2021 at 10:26 PM, Tums566 said:

No worries, I just found that one. I think I’m going to hold off and try to find one more in my budget. I would rather not pay current market prices.

They will not get any cheaper.  I've seen it time after time. Cheap Mil-Surps show up on the market and when they are all gone, the prices start rising.

12 minutes ago, Moped said:

They will not get any cheaper.  I've seen it time after time. Cheap Mil-Surps show up on the market and when they are all gone, the prices start rising.

Very true.  You can even argue that importing huge quantities of milsurps, such as those brought in during the late 50's through early 2000's, artificially depressed prices below what actual market conditions would have normally dictated.  After those shipments dried up, prices returned to what "normal" would have otherwise been.  Now, years after the big surges of post-WWII weapons stockpiles have been exhausted, we're seeing large increases in prices as rifles wend their way through the secondary markets.  We won't see anything like that again, as virtually all military organizations around the world adopted the use of so-called "assault" rifles in the postwar era, those will never be imported as surplus weapons here.  WWII left an unprecedented supply of bolt-action rifles lying around unused after the cessation of hostilities, that situation and the laws of the times represented an historical opportunity for the importation of surplus weapons into the US.  The unique set of circumstances that allowed that to happen won't be repeated ...

• Like 2

Buy once, cry once. I'd advise as others have to save up and get what you want. I have two of them and they are great fun to shoot. I haven't ever known quality milsurp firearms to go down in value.

A while back, I paid more than I would have ever dreamed for a nice 1911 A1. I'm glad I did.

I've bought lots of junk through the years trying to save a buck, and rarely was I glad I did.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If you can’t bring yourself to pay USGI prices, and just want something to shoot, you might consider the new Kahr / Auto Ordnance or a used Plainfield. 

Universal carbines run the gamut from OK to junk.  The earlier models are better when they were still using lots of surplus parts. I’d avoid the later ones, mostly identifiable by the cutout on the operating rod.  I personally avoid all of the Universal guns on principle but times being what they are, I might reconsider if I came across one cheap enough.  

• Like 1