Taurus G3C

tercel89

Who here has bought the Taurus G3C  ? Is the "hype" really positive and true ? I keep seeing how it is so reliable and all . This is the first striker fired gun I have seen that has a double-action striker fired action.  It seems that you can fire the gun then fire it again without the slide cycling. I am wondering how reliable this is ? The price is certainly nice. Anyone here that has any experience is apprieciated. 

What second strike capable means is if the first trigger pull doesn't set the round off you can pull the trigger again and it will strike the primer for a second time.

Taurus G2C has the same capabilities and most of the Taurus polymer pistols have had this feature for a long time.

• Like 1

Any problem areas in the Taurus ? I saw some guy that had an ejector break in the first few hundred rounds. Some others reported that the extractor wasn't grabbing the cartridge rim.  Of course this is the internet so I understand that. 

Thanks guys for the information. I got on to a few Taurus forums to look around . One forum even had a section in the forums purely for Taurus related problems. Kind of like having a section on here for handguns , they had one for Taurus related problems. That right there was enough to make me wait a few months longer before I decide to put some money down for a G3C . I have studied up on any gun I ever bought and all have been great except one. That one was a CZ P-07 DUTY. It had a trigger that would not always reset  and the magazine would fall out prematurely. CZ sent me a whole new gun. It worked but I was always paranoid about it working right. Of course CZ realized this and the whole gun was redesigned a few years later and now I have the newer version. It runs better than a Glock. It's my "hammer fired Glock 19".  But anyways , I'll wait on the Taurus. Ammo is too exspensive right now to try to test a new carry gun to see if it will work right. 

Might as well wait until the GX4 is readily available. 
So far review are showing it to have one of the best trigger of the sub/micro compact 9mm's out there. Pretty glowing favorable comments from the social media review folks so far. 

https://www.taurususa.com/pistols/taurus-gx4

Rumor mill is that the GX4 will add a optics ready version later in 2021 or early 2022 after the launch of the standard models. 

My Neighbor bought a G3 compact last year and we shot it at my house some. The only problem he had is he had some odd ball military ammo that required a longer throat in front of the chamber. This created a problem of not being able to eject an unfired cartridge and occasionaly it would not go into battery enough to fire it. All name brand ammo went threw it with no problems. Despite that, he sent it back to Taurus before I could stop him. First he said he was going to get rid of that ammo so I forgot to tell him about the dismal repair times Taurus is known for since he genuinely liked the gun. Anyway, he got the gun back in under a month from what I remember and I told him he should consider himself quite lucky at that. The thing is, they did nothing but fire the gun with good name brand ammo so reported no issues found! Its a good shooting 9. If I wanted a plastic gun, the G3C is not as good as my son's Sig P365 but not far behind in aiming, recoil & accuracy off hand. But I think the Sig nicer & has the better trigger. For the cost difference, The Taurus did good with this design but Like I said the CS sucks big time unless over time, they can get a handle on it in their new Georgia facility. "Good" gunsmiths are EXTREMELY hard to find in manufacturers SC gigs.  I have a GS that sent back a Goucho 357 SAA that I was ready to buy. The half cook notch was gone in it and they never got it back since sent in October 2019. I checked on it with them about 8 weeks ago and they completely forgot they sent it out! But it never got booked back in.  I have a few Taurus revolvers that I like and happen to be well made but its a hit n miss with those.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well after a 10% first responders discount and a $30 off clearance price I found a cheap but well known and well made pistol for $359 ! Pretty good score in my opinion. I have the same pistol in. 45acp and it's great. Enjoy the picture. I will give Taurus a chance later when problems seem to calm down and cease or level out. Until then check out my inexpensive but reliable $359 pistol. S.A. discontinued these but its new old stock . 

20210701_143333.jpg

• Like 4
On 7/1/2021 at 9:02 PM, tercel89 said:

Well after a 10% first responders discount and a $30 off clearance price I found a cheap but well known and well made pistol for $359 ! Pretty good score in my opinion. I have the same pistol in. 45acp and it's great. Enjoy the picture. I will give Taurus a chance later when problems seem to calm down and cease or level out. Until then check out my inexpensive but reliable $359 pistol. S.A. discontinued these but its new old stock . 

20210701_143333.jpg

I’ve got my eye on one of these with the CT red dot already mounted. I also have the .45 ACP XDs and love it! 

• Like 1

I have had one for about five months. I think the double strike trigger is more hype than useful. The trigger pull is quite long and sometimes it seems like it will never go off, then it does. None the less I like this pistol quite alot.

Carry a SW BG 38, SIG P365, Ruger lcp ii as edc. 

Have a decent holster for the G3c and it carries pretty well.  I have a “roundush” figure so the other three conceal better.  Have been leaving the G3c in the glovebox in case I forget to don one of my regular carry guns  Have shot it quite alot and trust it to work.  

Oh, mine shot very low so put a higher Glock rear sight on, easy, and shoots well now.   Mine does not like being slingshot to feed the first round for loading, it will misfeed.  Instead  I lock the slide back, insert mag and then hit the mag release lever  Works every time doing it that way.

Its not a perfect gun, but is quite a lot of value.  It can put a dozen rounds downrange in short order.  Not fussy about ammo, runs well.

Ed in Sevierville

Edited by JustEd
Grammar
6 hours ago, JustEd said:

I have had one for about five months. I think the double strike trigger is more hype than useful. The trigger pull is quite long and sometimes it seems like it will never go off, then it does. None the less I like this pistol quite alot.

Carry a SW BG 38, SIG P365, Ruger lcp ii as edc. 

Have a decent holster for the G3c and it carries pretty well.  I have a “roundush” figure so the other three conceal better.  Have been leaving the G3c in the glovebox in case I forget to don one of my regular carry guns  Have shot it quite alot and trust it to work.  

Oh, mine shot very low so put a higher Glock rear sight on, easy, and shoots well now.   Mine does not like being slingshot to feed the first round for loading, it will misfeed.  Instead  I lock the slide back, insert mag and then hit the mag release lever  Works every time doing it that way.

Its not a perfect gun, but is quite a lot of value.  It can put a dozen rounds downrange in short order.  Not fussy about ammo, runs well.

Ed in Sevierville

That's strange about your Taurus not loading correctly by slingshot method.  Usually most guns run better that way than using the slide-stop. 

11 hours ago, tercel89 said:

That's strange about your Taurus not loading correctly by slingshot method.  Usually most guns run better that way than using the slide-stop. 

Yeah it might do better with rn, but doesn't want to work that way with any hollow points (Sig/IWI/Federal).  If I remember correctly the manual suggests loading it the way I do, ie locking slide back first,  Once loaded it runs perfectly.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Was at the range with a friend who is quite knowledgeable about firearms. Ok, he is a rich snob about them. You know, one of those guys with all the latest toys.  Wilson Combat, silencers, full auto.   Let him shoot my Sig P320 rx with romeo 1 pro optic which he liked. He then shot my Taurus G3c and liked it as well.  Not sure if he liked the Sig better than the Taurus.

Disclaimer:  I have changed out the rear sight to n the G3c so it shoots right n now. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I got a G3C for a good price during Black Friday and have put about 300 rounds through it. Had 2 malfunctions on the first day (light primers strikes that the touted second strike capability still failed to fire) but it's been flawless since. Yes, 300rds aren't a lot but ammo is expensive. It runs fmj and jhp just fine. I actually like the ergonomics quite a bit - I have small hands.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Pups37110 said:

I got a G3C for a good price during Black Friday and have put about 300 rounds through it. Had 2 malfunctions on the first day (light primers strikes that the touted second strike capability still failed to fire) but it's been flawless since. Yes, 300rds aren't a lot but ammo is expensive. It runs fmj and jhp just fine. I actually like the ergonomics quite a bit - I have small hands.

Do you remember what brand of ammunition had the light strikes ?