School me in .357

ReeferMac

16 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I love the Security Six! 😃 I have a stainless 2.75" and a blue 4".  Toughest revolvers ever built. 👍 I'm keeping my eyes open for a good 6" gun. 😉

I've said for many years that the worst mistake Ruger ever made was discontinuing the Six series revolvers. 😡

The GP100 revolvers are nice but, I think there's more fans of Security Six than GP100.

I’m not a fan of the GP100 or the S&W 686. I much prefer he K-frame series of revolvers among the S&W and the Ruger Security and Service 6 series. They seemed to be just the perfect size for a do it all revolver. 

My Taurus 627 Tracker is basically the same size as those mentioned above, with the added feature of a 7 round chamber. The ported 4” barrel, makes it a pleasure to shoot, too. As to, it’s durability, we shall see. But I like it a lot!

On 6/20/2021 at 10:19 PM, Grayfox54 said:

I love the Security Six! 😃 I have a stainless 2.75" and a blue 4".  Toughest revolvers ever built. 👍 I'm keeping my eyes open for a good 6" gun. 😉

I've said for many years that the worst mistake Ruger ever made was discontinuing the Six series revolvers. 😡

10 hours ago, Quavodus said:

The GP100 revolvers are nice but, I think there's more fans of Security Six than GP100.

10 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

The GP-100 is a fine gun, but it always felt clunky to me. Its just awkward and heavy in my hand. ☹️

The Six series guns are just so much more balanced and handle like a dream. 👍

All true.  The GP100 was a solution in search of a problem.  Ruger "bulked" up the GP100, which of course made it heavier.  To compensate they did away with the grip frame, substituting the "peg" of the GP series.  This made the gun front heavy, not nearly as well-balanced as the older Six series, all in the name of "strengthening" what was probably already the strongest medium frame revolver on the planet ...

• Like 1

And to add to my previous post, a few years back the Six revolvers were great bargains.  I've owned a blued 4" model since sometime in the mid 70's, my stainless 6" I picked up 3 or 4 years ago.  I wish I had bought all I could find back before they were "discovered", prices now (even before the current bout of insanity) are about double what you could find these for just 3 or 4 years ago ...

3 hours ago, No_0ne said:

prices now (even before the current bout of insanity) are about double what you could find these for just 3 or 4 years ago ...

Haha, true, had noticed as well. One reason I decided to pay the asking price for the 686 I bought. 

I figured it was a safe medium to stash those greenbacks in while the value of the USD hits terminal velocity. I could sell it today for what I paid.

• Like 1

I like 38 Special and 357 Magnum. It's already been said. Pay attention to reliable data if you are handloading. I have three 357 Magnum revolvers that are mainly shot as 38 Specials.  Defense loads are 357 rounds. To me, having a 357 revolver is the most versatile caliber in centerfire revolvers for ordinary use.  I handload all my handgun cartridges. Reloading gives many more options over store bought cartridges.  For one, I can continue to shoot in this famine.  My 357's are a Model 28 Smith and Model 586.  The Model 19 is a part time 357 Magnum. All my Ruger's are big single actions.

Edited by Mowgli-Terry
  • Like 2

38/357 has always been my go too EDC. Others are as good, but my choice is the 357 for  self defense. I have several 9 MM and 40's but always gravitate to my 7 shooter. It will be making the trip with me out West come Saturday morning.  Only 2 states, California and Oregon, that does not recognize my CCP. I will be forced to put my "Roscoe" in the under seat gun vault and lock it away in those two states unloaded.  

Will also be taking a residence pistol and keep it in my RV. I have a lockable  gun vault in it also. Probably take my 9MM M P 2.0 C. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, pop pop said:

38/357 has always been my go too EDC. Others are as good, but my choice is the 357 for  self defense. I have several 9 MM and 40's but always gravitate to my 7 shooter. It will be making the trip with me out West come Saturday morning.  Only 2 states, California and Oregon, that does not recognize my CCP. I will be forced to put my "Roscoe" in the under seat gun vault and lock it away in those two states unloaded.  

Will also be taking a residence pistol and keep it in my RV. I have a lockable  gun vault in it also. Probably take my 9MM M P 2.0 C. 

I carry a S&W 442 quite often. And my Taurus 627 Tracker accompanies me on every hike now, as last ditch bear and two legged predator protection.