Prepping For Grand Canyon

We are beginning to get ready for our upcoming RV trip, with family, to the Grand Canyon/ Zion Nat Park, and surrounding area. Two of our daughters, and their families, will be going with us. One is driving out with us in their RV and the other is flying into Las Vegas and renting a car then driving to meet us in Grand Canyon Village at the Campground. Be 11 of us total. 

This will be a large trip as our family will be with us for 16 days, then leaving us out there. We, L/w will be going on from there, if we feel like it. Will probably try to leave St George UT, go to Salt Lake City then on across Idaho, and then onward across Oregon to the coast around Eugene and Coase Bay. Will then go to Northern Calif, Crescent City, to see the Redwood Nat Park. Then begin plotting our return trip to Middle TN. We have 5 or 6 weeks to make the trip. being advised the Parks are crowded this year as everyone seems to be shedding the Virus blues out of doors. 

A trip of a lifetime for me. Hope to stop and smell the roses along the way. We should be leaving on the 26th of June. This trip will most likely be our last big one as my age is creeping up on me. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 3

Good luck and have fun. Beautiful country out there. We were in Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon last fall. We were lazy and flew to Vegas like one of your daughters. Really just didn’t have enough vacation time to take longer. 

Coworker just got back from a fly to Vegas and visit all the parks within driving distance vacation. They had a great time but be aware that all the typical low paying service jobs (ie restaurants) are extremely short staffed. He said several restaurants they visited had 4 employees... 2 servers, a host/busser, and a cook, all working 14 hrs, 6 days/week. 

16 minutes ago, peejman said:

Coworker just got back from a fly to Vegas and visit all the parks within driving distance vacation. They had a great time but be aware that all the typical low paying service jobs (ie restaurants) are extremely short staffed. He said several restaurants they visited had 4 employees... 2 servers, a host/busser, and a cook, all working 14 hrs, 6 days/week. 

We just got back from a trip to Kansas City, MO. The Godfathers pizza shop had a sign out offering a $400 sign-on bonus. I never would had thought that I'd see that.

I greatly envy you, pop pop, on many levels.

That type of trip is something the wife and I had talked about doing in our "golden years." However, circumstances have changed for us to the point I don't see it ever happening.

Just enjoy every second to the fullest, and have a safe and wonderful time with all your family.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, pop pop said:

We are beginning to get ready for our upcoming RV trip, with family, to the Grand Canyon/ Zion Nat Park, and surrounding area. Two of our daughters, and their families, will be going with us. One is driving out with us in their RV and the other is flying into Las Vegas and renting a car then driving to meet us in Grand Canyon Village at the Campground. Be 11 of us total. 

This will be a large trip as our family will be with us for 16 days, then leaving us out there. We, L/w will be going on from there, if we feel like it. Will probably try to leave St George UT, go to Salt Lake City then on across Idaho, and then onward across Oregon to the coast around Eugene and Coase Bay. Will then go to Northern Calif, Crescent City, to see the Redwood Nat Park. Then begin plotting our return trip to Middle TN. We have 5 or 6 weeks to make the trip. being advised the Parks are crowded this year as everyone seems to be shedding the Virus blues out of doors. 

A trip of a lifetime for me. Hope to stop and smell the roses along the way. We should be leaving on the 26th of June. This trip will most likely be our last big one as my age is creeping up on me. 

I'm headed out to Utah on the 24th. I'm sure we will drive past each other at some point:) Have a great trip! You have some great parks listed. Hopefully you can hike The Narrows in Zion. That is my fave hike in the world and I've hiked a bunch of the US and Europe.

Macville, I went to my Dr today and had a shot put into my bad knee just hopping I can hike some with my Grandchildren on this trip. We will be spending some time in Oakie City and observing the Nat Park(Murrow Building) there in Oklahoma City. Also have plans to hit the Stockyard Restaurant which has been there since the cowboys drove cattle to Oklahoma City from Texas, to hitch up with the railroad, back in the late 1800. Will eat a good steak in their honor.

Wish we had time for the Cowboy Museum, but must keep our RV train rolling to meet our youngest, and her family, at the Grand Canyon on June 30th. One of the bad things about traveling one must pick and choose, then not see everything. Oh Well, bucket list!  

Good story before we leave guys. I wrote here about James Druery, "The Virginian" befriended our grandson 3 years ago at a meet and great with James's fan club in Gene Autrey Oklahoma. James passed this year, and Cody stills cries every time he hears George Strait sings the song, "The Cowboy Rides away". They played that song and showed the video at close of James's funeral. Cody always called him, after the restaurant incident where James came across the room and called out "Is That Cody," then he walked up to Cody's, and his aunt's, table and hugged Cody. Cody has Downs Syndrome. Everyone in that very busy restaurant stood and clapped and started chanting 'The Virginian," "The Virginian." James was 82 years old then.  

Cody tells me, all the time "James Druery was my friend." James gave Cody several autographed pictures and allowed Cody to spend time in his booth at the meet and great. His fans even recognized Cody, from a picture my daughter posted, on their interned possey web site, of Cody dressed in a cowboy hat and outfit that looked like the Virginian's. The fans fussed over Cody the whole 2 days. James even invited Cody to eat at James's (The Bossmans) turned out to be (COVID) final dinner table with his fans. Cody sit directly across from the Virginian, and James told Cody, and the whole table, Cody was his most special guest. Cody truly was James' friend from that day forward. 

Well James is Berried in Amarillo Texas, and L/w we will be taking Cody to say good-by to his friend James Durery. We have not told Cody, but want it to be a surprise. There won't be a dry eye in our party if we can pull this off. 

Every time Cody sees a rainbow, in the sky, he tellls us, "My Friend James Durey is smiling." I tell you Cody was James' true friend, more than James ever knew. 

Edited to add Video; Hope it works for you

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+the+cowboy+rides+away+video+george+strait&qpvt=youtube+the+cowboy+rides+away+video+george+strait&view=detail&mid=FBC59699F8343FA37096FBC59699F8343FA37096&

Watch the video that follows. We will be singing Amarillo by morning on the way

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 3

That sounds like a great trip to many wonderful places.

One suggestion for the Grand Canyon if you have the time. Get off the rim and hike into the canyon, even if its 1/4 mile.  It is a completely different experience if you get even a little bit off of the rim.

On the South Rim, the Bright Angel trail takes off from the Village and is a wide, well maintained trial.  If you're on the North Rim, the North Kaibab Trail is similar. It generally takes about twice as long to come up as it did to go down.  

Mike that is in the back of my mind. I went and had the shot put into my knee so I could do this very thing. Been on the Bright Angel Trail, but the days we were there the trail was closed due to much rain and mud.  I have grandkids that will be ready to do this very thing. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Getting more excited every day. Launch time is the 26th  of June, early. Little Rock the first night. Oklahoma City the second night. Going to visit the Nat Park in the city where McVeigh blew up the Murrow Building and eat at the 100+ year old Stockyard Restaurant. It seen lots of cowboys who drove cattle up from Texas to access the railroad in the late 1800's. Will have a steak in their honor. 

Still prepping. Had a wisdom tooth extracted yesterday.   

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1