Electric driveway gates

My neighbor has electric driveway gates. UPS and FedEx just leave his packages on the ground outside his gate. So far no problems with theft. They do get rained on occasionally. I would think some type of lockable drop box would be ideal.

6 minutes ago, Eray said:

My neighbor has electric driveway gates. UPS and FedEx just leave his packages on the ground outside his gate. So far no problems with theft. They do get rained on occasionally. I would think some type of lockable drop box would be ideal.

That's a problem at my place. My driveway is really long and off a heavy traveled highway. I get regular packages weekly for my special needs daughter. The other problem is I found 3 guys half way up my driveway yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

You could also put up a DEAD END sign. Not the PC no outlet sign!!

I get it, but people don't care about signs. I mean I'll walk right past a gun buster sign in a hart beat. When the crops are up I'll get 3 to 4 people a week asking if they can pick some. I have caught people stealing crops and delt with that in a way that could have been handled better. Trying to cut all of that off a the source. My Wife really doesn't want any more large men looking in the window asking if he can have some turnip greens. 

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, pop pop said:

Not same delivery guy comes every day. 

Very true, you might see the same guy for 2 or 3 days than the driver will be different.

I did put a large lockable mailbox, it has a slot that they put the mail in with thin packages in. We have a lock that allow us to access that compartment. As far as packages I have a driveway alarm. Like I said before, if it rains and the gate closer is broke you’re out in the rain messing with the gate.

14 minutes ago, pop pop said:

This.  If you have the same driver every day, have a friendly conversation with him and give him the code.  As far as adding comments to an order, the shipper might put something in the remarks or PO section of the label and the driver might even notice it.  Too many mights.  

I installed a solar powered Ghost Controls gate on my driveway, and the solar power seems to work great. It kept a deep-cycle marine battery fully charged all through the winter. But we aren't in and out a lot, generally I open the gate in the morning and close it in the late afternoon. That way neighbors know when they're welcome and when our day is done. And the UPS and mail drivers can come past the gate during their normal delivery hours.

At my last place I had a big job-box chained to a tree at the gate, and UPS and Fedex knew to put packages in it, but only rarely did they actually lock it. I was outside (out of sight of the gates) and heard my job box slam shut. I hurried down to find a neighbor couple there. They claimed that the Mrs. had sat on the box to remove a stone from her shoe, but when I sat on it, it didn't clang. I let it go, but I know that they took a peek inside. Really ticked me off, even though it was empty.

14 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

This.  If you have the same driver every day, have a friendly conversation with him and give him the code.  As far as adding comments to an order, the shipper might put something in the remarks or PO section of the label and the driver might even notice it.  Too many mights.  

I put stuff like "Call me big Poppa" in the comments. 

"Look out for huge snake in the garage "

Trying to make someone's day a little better. 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, alleycat72 said:

I put stuff like "Call me big Poppa" in the comments. 

"Look out for huge snake in the garage "

Trying to make someone's day a little better. 

I once put "Sorry about your back" in the comments of a huge ammo order. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Shorty said:

Can you program a separate code for delivery drivers and then add that to the comments of the order?

6 hours ago, pop pop said:

There are programmable locks made for doors which are essentially deadbolts with electronic keypads.  Many are "smart" devices which allow you to program one-time codes which can be passed on to delivery drivers, housekeepers, etc.  Its also possible to sign up for an account on UPS, USPS, FedEx and others which allow you to put comments with your order.  In my case i also have my normal UPS driver's cell, when he's not on the route he passes any notes along to whoever is driving that day.  I would guess something similar exists for locks applicable to automatic gates, but as I have no experience with these it's just a guess ...

I ran 120v to my gate (300+ feet), it runs the opener, key pad and exit wand..

you can run low voltage to your gate or solar, depending how many times your gate opens daily will dictate if solar will work..

regarding the delivery drivers, during check out I put my gate code with my address, they usually figure it out

I introduced my mail carrier, UPS and FedEx driver to my Malinois.

Nobody else gets out of the truck. They leave packages in the mailbox.

I would put a drop box (old newspaper route box) at the driveway entrance and strongly discourage visitors with signs and barbed wire.

Funny PS: My teenage daughter was being courted by a young man in HS. He came to pick her up.... and had to call from the driveway because he was afraid to get out of the car.

Good Boy!!!!

Edited by ReeferMac
2 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

I introduced my mail carrier, UPS and FedEx driver to my Malinois.

Nobody else gets out of the truck. They leave packages in the mailbox.

I would put a drop box (old newspaper route box) at the driveway entrance and strongly discourage visitors with signs and barbed wire.

Funny PS: My teenage daughter was being courted by a young man in HS. He came to pick her up.... and had to call from the driveway because he was afraid to get out of the car.

Good Boy!!!!

Terrible photo quality due to having to reduce the size of the image to get it to post here on the forum, but the dropbox as seen has been good to keep my two Malinois separated from the delivery people. 

727BB406-F354-4493-A09F-47C85D0F96A6.png

• Like 2