New powder scales

I bought my one and only powder scale in 1968, used it ever since.  It served me well.

It was a Lyman/ Ohaus D5.

Lately, I decided it was time for an upgrade, so I have ordered a RCBS Model 500. It has a heavier base, a bit easier to read. Old eyes call for desperate measures (pun), sometimes.  Should be here sometime next week. I've got 300 more 45/70 to load. Thought this would help out.

Getting old is better than the alternative, or so I'm told.

I've used a RCBS 505 scale for several years now, but I bought a cheapo 10" tablet to use as a viewer to make it easier to see the pointer and zero, eliminates the eye strain and parallax issues once you get it all set up.  I've not found a reason to upgrade my 505 but congrats on the new scale.   

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

I bought a Frankfort Arsenal digital scale at Gamaliel. Good little scale so far. I've started using it instead of my beam scale.

I've probably had this one 15 years. Still works great. It does have a quirk or two, but once you figure those out, it is plenty accurate for general loading.

There are certain numbers it will not display. I'll use 8.0 for example. It'll toggle between 7.9 and 8.1, but you simply cannot make it read 8.0.

For my needs, 7.9 or 8.1 are plenty close. I would use something more accurate for competition.

You also don't have much luck trickling into the pan while it's on the scale. To get the reading to change, you need to pick up the pan and set it back on the scale.

I checked it for years against a beam scale. I finally convinced myself it was accurate.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

All this discussion about balances, and their accuracy takes me back to some of my chemistry classes in college.  We sometimes used analytical balances, that read to 1/10000 of a gram.  They were mounted on columns that were isolated from the rest of the building structure and were extremely sensitive.  The lab instructors often recommended holding your breath while taking measurements, as even though the weighing pans were located behind glass doors, breathing on the machines would sometimes affect the readouts ...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I use the RCBS digital. I've got several sets of very good beam scales. There some benefits to the beam scales. A trickler is crazy making on digital scales. Otherwise, I enjoy using the new fangled scales. Another benefit is that the new scales do not take up much room on the bench. The RCBS scales work very with my 550. I used the Ohaus Dial-a-Grain for many years. Those scales served me well is now in semi-retirement.

One difference the new RCBs scale has vs the old Lyman & others, is that it has the increments on both sides for lefties ( I'm not ). Also, the pan has two tabs for either hand.

One issue with both scales was, that my eye level is at an angle to the scale pointer.

Fixed that by adding a small bedroom mirror which is adjustable. What I did was, zero the scale from eye level, then adjust the mirror to get the same reading when I'm seated. Works great & much easier to work with.

• Like 1

I've had mixed luck with the cheap FA scale... same shell will read +/- 0.4 grains. Pick it up, put it back down, different number every time....

I stop, tare the thing, calibrate, start that one over, and it works for a spell...

For my purposes its fine, plinking pistol ammo doesn't care if you're hot by 10%, but you sure can feel it. I run about 4.4-4.5 grains titegroup for my 124gr 9mm loads. You know when you got 5 grains of powder.

• Like 1

I acquired this old scale as part of a large lot of reloading equipment. It's a Lyman M5 and it looks like it was probably manufactured in the 50's or 60's. I've not even taken it out of its case, but think it's a pretty cool old item.

IMG_0156.JPG.ef5666d9e0578bf4d6f81c522d2e7cdd.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 10:58 AM, Darrell said:

I acquired this old scale as part of a large lot of reloading equipment. It's a Lyman M5 and it looks like it was probably manufactured in the 50's or 60's. I've not even taken it out of its case, but think it's a pretty cool old item.

IMG_0156.JPG.ef5666d9e0578bf4d6f81c522d2e7cdd.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

I have one just like it. Works great.

I now use the RCBS Chargemaster, but have a 505 as a backup and to double check charges now and then for my rifle loads.  For my pistol I mainly use an RCBA Uniflow, but here too I use the 505 to check the charge on it.  I used the Lee beam scale that came with my Lee Anniversary kit for many years, and for the most part it never failed to give me an accurate charge, it's just a PITA to get it balance correctly and locked in, something that the 505 does way better.

I have a RCBS CM "lite" that works good, I use it for the really high volume loading when I get ready for a Pdog trip out west, rest of the time I use the 505 for loading those load development loads.