Age to possess handgun and vehicle

A friend of mine was asking about how old you have to be to own a handgun, and how old to keep it in the car, but it's been so long I can't remember the details.  

My understanding was that it was legal to own a handgun at 18, but you have to be 21 to purchase one at a gun store, and (if not in military) carry, but what about having it in the car? If the car is considered an extension of the home would an 18 y/o be able to keep it there as long as they don't leave the car with it?  Or would you need to be 21?

Regards

Edited by Refleks
  • 1 month later...

Right on, you need to be 18 years old to possess and to buy private sale(if you are buying from a FFL, federal law supersedes state law since you are buying from a federally licensed dealer-in that case, you need to be 21 years old.)

Under Tennessee State Law, you can keep a loaded handgun in your car at 18. I was actually pulled over when I was 18/19 and this law was pretty new(I am 24 year old now) as I accidently pulled out in front a police cruiser. I simply told the officer my age, and he told me I was perfectly legal to possess a loaded handgun in my car at that age.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 3:25 PM, Croakerhouck said:

Under Tennessee State Law, you can keep a loaded handgun in your car at 18. I was actually pulled over when I was 18/19 and this law was pretty new(I am 24 year old now) as I accidently pulled out in front a police cruiser. I simply told the officer my age, and he told me I was perfectly legal to possess a loaded handgun in my car at that age.

Ehh, I'm not so sure on that, sir.

With the new "no permit required" law allowing carry in place, the TFA is fighting to include the under-21 crowd according to their email blasts. 

From the TFA website: 

But let’s look specifically at Tennessee’s handgun permitting laws and now the new permitless carry law by Governor Lee. Those laws prohibit 18-20 year olds from obtaining the permits or from qualifying under the permitless carry qualifications (with the “pandering” exception given to those in the military or retired from it). See, TCA 39-17-1307(g), 39-17-1351 and 39-17-1366.

2 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Ehh, I'm not so sure on that, sir.

With the new "no permit required" law allowing carry in place, the TFA is fighting to include the under-21 crowd according to their email blasts. 

From the TFA website: 

That does not apply to the car, only carrying outside of the car.  Years ago the extended the castle doctrine protection to your vehicle.  That way anybody who could own a firearm could carry it in their car without a permit.  Of course they could not take it out of their car and carry around but it is perfectly legal to keep it in your car. 

It is still very much a grey area, IMO. It will be officer dependent.  But it may cost one some legal fees as the charge will be carrying with the intent to be armed.  I got this straight from the director if HCP division and he says no can do.  Same in a lot of states.  That’s why our military exception clause hurt us in reciprocity.

2 hours ago, chances R said:

It will be officer dependent.  

Which will be a huge disaster, IMO. Police should enforce the law(s), not interpret them, IMO. *I* don't want some mouth breather trying to decide of someone is violating the law or not. *I* prefer the law to be crystal clear. Sadly, the TN Legislature doesn't get voted in because of their brains....................  

2 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Which will be a huge disaster, IMO. Police should enforce the law(s), not interpret them, IMO. *I* don't want some mouth breather trying to decide of someone is violating the law or not. *I* prefer the law to be crystal clear. Sadly, the TN Legislature doesn't get voted in because of their brains....................  

On the other hand, instead of letting it ride....he can do the arrest and let the DA do the decision making,,,,,,,just sayin'

• Like 1
7 hours ago, chances R said:

he can do the arrest and let the DA do the decision making,,,,,,,just sayin'

Oh, yeah. That'll help folks like cops more. Arresting people who've done nothing wrong & a cop can't decide what a law says or doesn't say. Who doesn't want an arrest record on their background, eh?