Truth in advertising

I went to a gun store this weekend looking for a particular kind of gun and they had one used, and they were having a sale for Father’s Day, 10% off.  They advertised on Facebook two videos and one picture 10% off the entire store including in stock firearms. He told me the price and I asked about the 10% discount and said it did not include used firearms. I told him what the ad said so he asked the owner, and the owner said no. I did buy the gun but did feel like they were being dishonest.

I had a couple of rifles I was selling and he said he would take a look at them but could not give retail for them, which I understand, and I could come back tomorrow and he would look at them and tell me what he could buy them for. While I was waiting for the owner to show up I was talking to an employee there and he told me they are having a sale and the entire store is 10% off. I told him that wasn’t true and he said yes it was, so I told him I have $300 in my wallet I bet him it wasn’t true. He asked me why I thought it wasn’t true, and told him I bought a gun here last night and I did not get the 10% discount. He looked it up and asked if I bought new and I said no. He told me well that discount doesn’t apply to used guns. I told him “but that’s not what you told me and that’s not what all of your ads said”.  He asked the owner again but of course the answer was no. I was going to let it go Friday night but when I got told the same thing the next day it really infuriated me, but it’s going to save me money in the long run because I don’t think I’m going to buy a gun there anymore. 
    Do you think they should have honored their ad? 

E90287A8-2C74-4DEC-9555-99449B9A6886.jpeg

Edited by ZZRguy
Someone thought I needed paragraphs
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, ZZRguy said:

I went to a gun store this weekend looking for a particular kind of gun and they had one used, and they were having a sale for Father’s Day, 10% off.  They advertised on Facebook two videos and one picture 10% off the entire store including in stock firearms. He told me the price and I asked about the 10% discount and said it did not include used firearms. I told him what the ad said so he asked the owner, and the owner said no. I did buy the gun but did feel like they were being dishonest.

I had a couple of rifles I was selling and he said he would take a look at them but could not give retail for them, which I understand, and I could come back tomorrow and he would look at them and tell me what he could buy them for. While I was waiting for the owner to show up I was talking to an employee there and he told me they are having a sale and the entire store is 10% off. I told him that wasn’t true and he said yes it was, so I told him I have $300 in my wallet I bet him it wasn’t true. He asked me why I thought it wasn’t true, and told him I bought a gun here last night and I did not get the 10% discount. He looked it up and asked if I bought new and I said no. He told me well that discount doesn’t apply to used guns. I told him “but that’s not what you told me and that’s not what all of your ads said”.  He asked the owner again but of course the answer was no. I was going to let it go Friday night but when I got told the same thing the next day it really infuriated me, but it’s going to save me money in the long run because I don’t think I’m going to buy a gun there anymore. 
    Do you think they should have honored their ad? 

E90287A8-2C74-4DEC-9555-99449B9A6886.jpeg

Funny how the word "new" could change the whole scenario lol.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Personally, I’d be rather frustrated over the entire ordeal. They took time to specify “In Stock” firearms, why not point out “New Firearms” as well?

That said, looking at the screenshots you posted, it seems as if they are not social media/advertising experts. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

That said, looking at the screenshots you posted, it seems as if they are not social media/advertising experts. 

I half-expected some of that text to be blinking and to have a MIDI track playing.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Haha 2
19 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

Personally, I’d be rather frustrated over the entire ordeal. They took time to specify “In Stock” firearms, why not point out “New Firearms” as well?

They think that are, because they post several videos a week. 

Edited by ZZRguy
5 minutes ago, ZZRguy said:

They think that are because they post several videos a week. 

Any idjit can post stuff online.  You are right to be pissed.  Either the GS in question is devious or ignorant, probably both.

• Like 2

Update

I went back to the gun store to return the magazine I bought for the gun I purchased. 

The store was closed, but the owner was in the parking lot along with the guy that I see in the videos so I stopped and told them that the salesman is the one that brought up the 10% sale on Saturday and I told him my side of the story. He said there was disclaimer on the ad and I told there wasn’t and I was going to show but he said that it did not matter and he had a check for the 10% discount on his desk.  

I thanked him and will continue to do business with the store. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

Sounds like a happy ending to me

This is the second thought I had after reading your post.  Forum rules prevent me from posting a GIF that represents my first ...

Snoopy Peanuts GIF - Snoopy Peanuts Dancing GIFs

• Like 1