My Cerakoted AR-15 (x2)

So I built an AR for shooting 22LR as well as 5.56/.223.  It was built with a .223 Wylde 1/9 twist barrel, an Anderson lower (thanks Whisper), a blemed upper, a full stock (thanks KahrMan) and a free floating match hand guard.  I aquired a cosmetically damaged PSA lower for next to nothing (read less than $30) so i needed to make it better.  A buddy of mine got into Cerakoting for an auto restauration he is working on, but wanted to try fire arms.  I was game and decided on a mildy two-tone build using a modified Disruptive Grey color (33% Graphite Black-66% Tungsten instead of 25% Graphite Black-75% Tungsten) for the upper, lower, and hand guard and Graphite Black for the stock, forward assist and ejection cover. The smalll bits were already a decent black in the lower build kit. 

The Cerakoting went great. It does take time to clean, sand blast, de-gas. Since we were doing two colors, we went with the black first.  I did the frame of my 92S at the same time.  The ABS plastic stock had to cure at a lower temp for 2 hours so we flashed the metal parts at that temp and then used the rest of the plastic cure time to do the Mod-disruptive grey (I need to name it). and flash those. Once the plastic was done we hard cured the metal parts.

All in all I was at Scott's house for about 7 hours yesterday.  

I finished the build out today. I am very happy with the result. There are a few blemishes. It was Scott's first time to spray gun parts.  And I dinged the hand guard, and of course the ding ended up at the top once installed, not the bottom.

I am still trying to decide if the gas block should match the upper/lower/hand guard. The oven cured Cerakote is rated to about 500 degF. I am not sure how hor a gas block gets.

I may have to Kote some other things. I think my inexpensive, parkerized GI model 1911 would look good that color, or a version of that color.

The old lower from Whisper will get a new caliber upper (300 BO).

Here are some before and after photos.

IMG_7868.jpg.285d1fd6deda8678ca95c69e21b73351.jpg

IMG_8201.jpg.1e168f6f1ed5cbe802bd71e05751a08e.jpg

IMG_8204.jpg.30651ed5f8528c83adb7842debe040a6.jpg

749796545_IMG_8200(1).jpg.dd601069ae7197c50a4fdf82df80ed6c.jpg

IMG_8206.jpg.e1777d6d49e93daa05d195c808540c5e.jpg

Edited by Snaveba
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This one is kind of a reverse of the other color. It is about 66% Graphite Black, 33% Tungsten. I did the upper, lower, hand guard, forward assist, dust cover, trigger guard and buffer tube nut. 

The difference is subtle, and harder to pick up in the photos. But the 300BLK is darker and I did not do the two-tone look with the small parts. 

i wish we could upload higher res photos, but I suppose that would quickly fill up Dave’s server. 

Edited by Snaveba
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Since ARs are ever changing (at least to me ) I put an Ace SOCOM stock and a Bushnell TRS-26 and backup iron sights on the 300BO

FF52F1C5-3369-480D-803D-6602A8733BFA.thumb.jpeg.7c45cb7f67ba6141da39e2c8fdbd176a.jpeg

I also swapped the barrel to 6.5 Grendel on the one below, and added the bipod. It now has a 4.5-18x48 scope  

986EC4A4-761F-43A0-8734-BAADB9085D55.jpeg

Edited by Snaveba
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Range Report_

Took my 300BO and 6.5 Grendel to a buddies farm for some better shooting.  The 300BO with the Bushnell TRS26 Red Dot shoots sweet.  I was consistantly hitting a 1'x2' oval steel plate at 150yards (the longest steel we had yesterday).  The 6.5 Grendel was just as nice.  However with the scope, it was a bit easier to see the steel plate.  The Grendel was shooting Wolf Steel case like it was candy.

Edited by Snaveba
  • Like 1