Anyone Reload .410 for Squirrel Hunting?

Guys, I have a few .410s, from single shot break barrels to semi-autos. Recently I have become very interested in hunting squirrels with a .410, when the season opens of course. I have all of the other gauges from 12 gauge on down, except for 28 gauge, but have decided I want to try a .410 this season. More than likely it will be hunting with a friend and his squirrel dog. So, many of the squirrels go to the top of the tree with a dog barking and running around. I like to reload and have one MEC 600 Jr Mk V set up for 2 1/2" shells and the other one set up for 3" shells.

Here's my question: what loads do you guys find to be effective in the 2 1/2" and 3" shells for the height of the trees here in Middle Tennessee? My primers will mostly be Cheddite 209, but I do have CCI 209s also. My hulls are a mixture, some AAs, some Winchester HS, some Remington, and some scrounged from the range. I'm old school, so I like to shoot squirrels with #6 shot in other gauges. I had planned to do so in the .410 also. I have a fairly good assortment of wads as well as powders. But I had planned to use mostly Lil Gun in the .410.

We have some pretty tall trees around here and some pretty small squirrels. Can the 2 1/2 " shell be safely loaded with enough umpf to knock a small squirrel out of the top of our tallest trees. Or should I just forget the 2 1/2" shell and go right to the 3" shell? If so, what is the best load for squirrels in the 3" shell?

I have no narratives here, nor any wayward intentions. I'm sincerely asking you loaders and hunters for some good load advice. Naturally, I would not use an unpublished/untested load, as it looks like these little .410s can jump up to some high pressures in a heartbeat. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Sidewinder
To make known that I was only interested in published loads. loads.

I know you asked about handloads but, this is factory. My brother has been hunting some with his .410. I know he told me last year he had killed a few with his. He did say it wasn't like shooting squirrels with a 20 gauge or 12 gauge. He had to keep his shots closer. I think he used Remington 3" #6 shot. 

Edited by Quavodus
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I know you asked about handloads but, this is factory. My brother has been hunting some with his .410. I know he told me last year he had killed a few with his. He did say it wasn't like shooting squirrels with a 20 gauge or 12 gauge. He had to keep his shots closer. I think he used Remington 3" #6 shot. 

Thanks for the reply Auavodus. This kind of information is helpful, as I will try to duplicate the factory loads in my hand-loads. I had my doubts that "any" load in the 2 1/2" shell could get the job done. I appreciate your reply.