Squirrel Hunting with a .410 in Middle Tennessee!

Do any of you guys squirrel hunt with a .410 in Middle Tennessee? If so, I'm interested in the ammo you use to knock these gnarly little rascals out of the tops of our tall trees. I'm a re-loader, so I'll be trying to mimic the factory loads that are successful in 2 1/2" and 3" shells. I'm interested in feedback from hunters that have actually hunted and killed squirrels in Middle Tennessee with a .410. I will be hunting with a friend and his squirrel dog. He takes a .22 rifle and usually takes the first shot, unless they are running. If he misses, I take over with the shotgun. I have been using a 20 gauge, but want to use a .410 this year, if it'll knock them out of the tallest trees that we have around here. Sharing your experience of hunting squirrels with the .410 would be greatly appreciated. I can always go back to the 20 gauge, if necessary. Thanks and specifics on ammo would be appreciated.

My Son and FIL went into the woods with the exact same setup (tho my dogs no squirrel hound). They did get a couple, but didn't care for the taste, and haven't been back out since (you kill it, you eat it). I'll have to see what his loads were, likely brass game shells.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Luckyforward said:

3" shells with #6 shot always worked for me.

I grew up in northeastern Okla. and we had the same trees as you. All I ever hunted small game with was a single shot Iver Johnson single shot .410 that my dad got as a well used hand-me-down around 1920. He told me that somewhere down the line, it had about 3" cut off the barrel.  

I concur with Luckyforward on the ammo.

"For those who don't like the taste of squirrel"  I didn't realize there were such people  icon-confused.gif

Edited by xsubsailor
  • Like 2
  • Admin Team

I'd pattern #5, #6, and maybe even #7 1/2 in 3" shells in whatever gun you're going to be using.  Since most single shot .410s aren't choked - I'd go with whatever puts the most pellets into a paper plate at 30 yards.

Grey squirrels aren't particularly tough - but it's still a numbers game at the limit of the shotgun's useful range.

• Like 2

"Just set thar under that there tree 'awaitin to hear or see a squirrl.  When youens hears one, be real quiet and look fer 'em.  Tiptoe around the tree 'til youens can see him and wait fer him to set down.  When he gits still, shoot him, skin him, and bile him before throwing him in the frypan."

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

My Son and FIL went into the woods with the exact same setup (tho my dogs no squirrel hound). They did get a couple, but didn't care for the taste, and haven't been back out since (you kill it, you eat it). I'll have to see what his loads were, likely brass game shells.

Thanks for the reply. Some like hamburger and others like chicken. Squirrels can be prepared a number of ways and can be very tasty.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Luckyforward said:

I have a Savage .22/.410 o/u that has been my preferred squirrel gun, the .410 more than the .22.  3" shells with #6 shot always worked for me.

For those who don't like the taste of squirrel, I always put them in squirrel stew.  🍽️

Thanks for your input Luckyforward. I like those Savage combos too. I have them in quite a few calibers . My grandmother cooked them like her southern fried chicken recipe. tasted like squirrel by Col Sanders! It was good. I have had it in rice, but never had the stew. bet it's good too.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

I grew up in northeastern Okla. and we had the same trees as you. All I ever hunted small game with was a single shot Iver Johnson single shot .410 that my dad got as a well used hand-me-down around 1920. He told me that somewhere down the line, it had about 3" cut off the barrel.  

I concur with Luckyforward on the ammo.

"For those who don't like the taste of squirrel"  I didn't realize there were such people  icon-confused.gif

Xsubsailor, I went through Afun P School (Aviation Fundamentals Class P school) in Norman. The friendliest and kindest people of any of my duty stations, in my Navy career. Will always have a warm feeling for those people. Were you shooting the 2 1/2" or 3" shells? What brand did you have the best luck with? What brand shells? I hand load and will try to duplicate the factory loads.

3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I'd pattern #5, #6, and maybe even #7 1/2 in 3" shells in whatever gun you're going to be using.  Since most single shot .410s aren't choked - I'd go with whatever puts the most pellets into a paper plate at 30 yards.

Grey squirrels aren't particularly tough - but it's still a numbers game at the limit of the shotgun's useful range.

I appreciate the information MacGyver. I just picked up 200 paper plates a Wally World and planned on doing exactly what you suggested, using various load combinations. I was hoping a 2 1/2" shell would do the job, but have my doubts. So, I plan to work up some 3" loads as well.

48 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

"Just set thar under that there tree 'awaitin to hear or see a squirrl.  When youens hears one, be real quiet and look fer 'em.  Tiptoe around the tree 'til youens can see him and wait fer him to set down.  When he gits still, shoot him, skin him, and bile him before throwing him in the frypan."

Yep! That'll work. We'll be hunting with a trained squirrel dog. But I did a lot of the kind of hunting you described when I was a teenager.

2 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Were you shooting the 2 1/2" or 3" shells? What brand did you have the best luck with? What brand shells? I hand load and will try to duplicate the factory loads.

All I say for sure is they were 3". I've never had any 2 1/2". As for the brand........whatever the sporting goods store had. I joined the Navy in 1962 so there wasn't much of a choice back then. All I can remember is 3" high brass #6.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I think if I had a reloading setup, I’d skip .410 and go straight to a gentleman’s 28 gauge.

On the question of 2.5 or 3”, the easy answer is that you can kill any squirrel with a 3” that you can a 2.5” - the same isn’t true in reverse.  Once you get outside of whatever that effective range is - the efficiency of the 2.5” is going to fall off a lot faster.

The more nuanced answer is to pattern both and be cognizant of missed shots in the field and really ask why you’re not knocking squirrels out of trees.  I expect you’ll wind up with 3” loads.  

• Like 2

I used a 410 in my younger days when I first started hunting. I used number 4’s I think. Later I went to a 22 rifle. Remington 552 speed master. I sure wish I still had that thing. As far as eating squirrels, I always liked to flour them up with salt and pepper and fry them, then take the meat off the bones and make dumplings. The time in the dumplings tenderized the meat really nice. 

• Like 1

When those rodents get into my peach and pear trees, I use whatever I get my hands on first. If the meat is ruined, the dogs eat well. If not, I get them and a cobbler or pie for dessert. I prefer the cobbler and no rodent. I don't hunt them anymore, sadly they come to me too often, but when I did hunt them I used a .410 and 6 shot.

I'd go with whatever puts the most pellets into a paper plate at 30 yards.

^^^ This is good advice. I'd take it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have taken 100's of squirrels with a 410.Had a man that once purchased every one I brought to him. He kept me in money for 3 years killing rabbits, squirrels, and quail. I used Remington 3" # 6 on all, but 7 1/2 on quail. Out to 35 yards, always worked.  Gave the 410 to my grandson last fall.  He paid me .50 and gave me a replacement shell for every animal I brought him.  Hunted rabbits with the 410 not too long ago. # 6 Remington 3".  Have killed with 2 1/2" but not as good. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 2:39 PM, pop pop said:

I have taken 100's of squirrels with a 410.Had a man that once purchased every one I brought to him. He kept me in money for 3 years killing rabbits, squirrels, and quail. I used Remington 3" # 6 on all, but 7 1/2 on quail. Out to 35 yards, always worked.  Gave the 410 to my grandson last fall.  He paid me .50 and gave me a replacement shell for every animal I brought him.  Hunted rabbits with the 410 not too long ago. # 6 Remington 3".  Have killed with 2 1/2" but not as good. 

Pop Pop, thanks for your information. I figured the 3" shells would do a better job on the squirrels. What kind of gun were you shooting and what length barrel and choke? I have 12, 16, and 20 gauge guns I could squirrel hunt with, but I just wanted to do some hunting with a .410. I bought a brand new (6 rounds through it) Hatfield SA. It's the Remington 1100 knock off. The El-Cheapo gun! It has different choke tubes. Initially, it had some cycling issues, but I think I pretty much have that worked out.

They way we hunt is with a squirrel dog. When the dog trees the squirrel, my hunting buddy has the first chance at a head shot with a .22LR. If he misses, I get to shoot the squirrel with a shotgun. Some of those trees look like they may be pushing the 35 yard range, or taller. I have been using one of my 20 gauge Remington 1100s.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 9:05 PM, JT59 said:

As a kid used a single shot 410 with #5 shot. As a teenager used a pistol for squirrel. My shooting skills have gone down hill the past forty years.

JT59 I don't think I have ever heard of anyone hunting squirrels with a pistol. I'm guessing it was probably a .22LR. Maybe a Ruger Single Six, or a Thompson Center. I have a TC with a scope on it in 22 Hornet, but consider that round a little bit too much for squirrel.