Times Gone By

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators
On 7/1/2021 at 6:43 PM, Dirtshooter said:

Has anyone wondered why you can now buy canning jars with lids and rings, but not the lids or rings separately?? Sort of like you can buy a lawnmower and when you need a sparkplug, sorry you have to buy another lawnmower.

I don’t know anyone that has bought a lawnmower when they needed a spark plug.

star trek GIF

When I was a kid in Florida the whole family got together for canning day. Started before dawn.  My uncle and two cousins would load up in his van and out to a field we went . Picked cucumbers and tomatoes. The rest of the day Grandmah, mom and three aunts cooked up sauces and stuff for pickles. It smelled so good. By evening they had jarred up plenty. The men grilled and us kids churned ice cream.  Good memories.  

• Like 4

I remember my Grandparents had what I guess was a root cellar. You could stand up in it but it was only about 6-8' wide and maybe 10-12 feet long. Had floor to ceiling shelves on both sides. In the Fall the shelves would be full from floor to ceiling with canning jars full of everything plus a few bushel baskets of potatoes, squash and other things plus bags of onions. She canned fruit, vegetables even meat. She also made the best noodles. She would set up a regular production run in the kitchen and make enough for a few months after they were dried and stored properly. These days they would be called preppers but that was how they got through the depression and just kept doing it. My grandfather always had a huge garden and they had several fruit trees on their lot. Grandpa also hunted and fished so that helped. One of my memories visiting them was running with the neighbor kids catching chickens. There was a small processing plant a couple of blocks away and the chickens were always getting loose before they could be killed. Told my grandpa that the plant would gives us kids a nickel for every chicken we caught. He said he would give us dime. So we had a new customer.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I remember my Grandparents had what I guess was a root cellar

My granddad asked me to dig one under a shed for him. Now, if my father had made me dig one I'd have felt terribly misused, but I was happy to show my papaw that I was a hard worker, and I busted my hump for a couple of days to get that hole in the ground. My uncle owns that property now, and on the rare occasions that I go there I make sure to admire "my" root cellar, still there and functioning almost 50 years later.

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...