For those of you who disparage Kansas City BBQ a couple of months ago! (I'm talking to you, Chuckshoes)

• Admin Team

Leading off with Dickey's probably wasn't the best way to get serious barbecuers to take them seriously (as if you could actually convince anyone who's serious about their barbecue).

That's like saying the cities with the most McDonald's has the best burger 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Memphis has not had great BBQ since the early to mid 90's at best. There are a few passable places and at least one that is trying to raise the bar these days. The bar sunk so incredibly low in the late 90's that even raising it now still only brings it to "ok". 

I have yet to find a BBQ joint in Tennessee that can compete with my favorites in KC.

7 minutes ago, OldIronFan said:

Memphis has not had great BBQ since the early to mid 90's at best. There are a few passable places and at least one that is trying to raise the bar these days. The bar sunk so incredibly low in the late 90's that even raising it now still only brings it to "ok". 

I have yet to find a BBQ joint in Tennessee that can compete with my favorites in KC.

Last month I went back to K.C. for a week to do some honey-do's for my MIL. While there, I went to the Hyvee - a grocery store that I wish would come to Murfreesboro - and saw several local brands of BBQ sauce of which I've never heard.

For those who have never heard of Hyvee, they make our local grocery stores look lame as hell.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Leading off with Dickey's probably wasn't the best way to get serious barbecuers to take them seriously (as if you could actually convince anyone who's serious about their barbecue).

That's like saying the cities with the most McDonald's has the best burger 😉

Who mentioned Dickey's?

7 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

For those who have never heard of Hyvee, they make our local grocery stores look lame as hell.

I left Kansas in 1980 and was from a small enough town we had to drive one town over to the IGA so I am not all that familiar with Hy-vee. Still have lots of family to visit in KC, Wichita, Topeka, Lawrence, and Manhattan but don't spend much time at the grocery when I am there. 

8 minutes ago, OldIronFan said:

I left Kansas in 1980 and was from a small enough town we had to drive one town over to the IGA so I am not all that familiar with Hy-vee. Still have lots of family to visit in KC, Wichita, Topeka, Lawrence, and Manhattan but don't spend much time at the grocery when I am there. 

The one in Liberty is about the size of a Walmart and VERY impressive. I doubt you'd be disappointed if you stopped in.

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

There was a video piece starting off the story.  It made me laugh that it was shot in a franchised, chain barbecue place. 

Oh, well, FOX commonly puts videos that are unrelated to the story there. I don't pay attention to them.

23 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Often, some of the best BBQ is found in the sketchiest part of town.

Very true,  And for what it's worth, Tennessee's best BBQ isn't found in Memphis anyway, but scattered across a 30-40 mile corridor along the Tennessee - Mississippi - Alabama  lines, in a bunch of grungy little mom and pop stands nobody ever heard of ...

• Like 4
55 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I don’t know who’s pitching the “lead with video” strategy.  Nothing makes me close out a tab faster than being force fed video of a story I could read in a tenth of the time. 

You can disable auto-play. It usually works although sometimes they figure a way around it. 

Given the company that did the study and the criteria for the study I can see how that list was compiled. It's complete fertilizer of course but that's what you get when a lawn company doing the study lol. Not to mention the fact KC is THE home to the largest BBQ organization (society) in the country. And not 1 city in NC made the list ? pfff !

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Garufa said:

^^^^ This. I made friends with an Alabama pit master outside Birmingham once. Great big 'ol black guy, nicknamed "Tiny" of course, that had a walk up window concrete block shack near all the truck yards. 
Once told me he gave me a little extra to take home since I should not come back after dark. "Skinny white boy like you won't last long out here after dark" I think was about what he said. 

Great pulled pork!

Edited by OldIronFan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

That list was obviously made by a yankee. 🤔

But I'm afraid I have to agree that Memphis Bar-B-Que has gone downhill for a while now. Ain't what it used to be. And the older, once great BBQ restaurants are now little more than tourist traps. ☹️

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

When I lived in Pascagoula, Ms. in the early 70's there was a black man that had a 55 gallon drum turned into a PIT MASTER!! On Friday's he would cook ribs and made what he called rib sandwiches, which is 2 pieces of white bread and about 4 ribs with the bone in stuck in the middle. He cooked at the back edge of a shopping center on a little side street. That was some lip smackin pig popsicles!! Fast forward to the early 90's and a customer's dad had a little BBQ place out in the sticks right next to his house and he had probably the best ribs. He was an older black man and me and him hit it off the bat talking about catching bluegills. He said the first thing to cooking good ribs is having a good rib, he said a #2 rib was his choice, the bone isn't too big. Makes my mouth water, when I cook my ribs tomorrow I will think of these gentlemen who were bbq masters!! 

• Like 3