For those of you who disparage Kansas City BBQ a couple of months ago! (I'm talking to you, Chuckshoes)

We were in KC a few weeks ago. We tried Arthur Bryants and it was barely passable for decent BBQ. Then we went to Hog Jawl Que and Brew and KC BBQ was redeemed. We were pleased and impressed and would eat there again when we are in the area.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, peejman said:

Off-topic....  How?  I've tried but can't make it stick. 

Use Firefox for your browser, In the upper right corner of the browser you'll see the 3 bar menu icon. Click on it and then click on settings. When it opens type autoplay in the search box. Autoplay will come up and then click on its settings. In the "Default for all websites" dropdown box select "Block audio and video" and then click "Save changes."

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, buck1032 said:

We were in KC a few weeks ago. We tried Arthur Bryants and it was barely passable for decent BBQ. Then we went to Hog Jawl Que and Brew and KC BBQ was redeemed. We were pleased and impressed and would eat there again when we are in the area.

Bryant's went way down hill after Arthur Bryant died and his daughter took over. I think that happened in the early 80's.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Bryant's went way down hill after Arthur Bryant died and his daughter took over. I think that happened in the early 80's.

Funny you should mention this as there was an article back around February on  restaurants and what happens when the next gen steps in to take over or in some cases another person buys it and keeps the name. A lot of bbq joints went downhill or just shut the doors not long after the founder passed or sold it. Bbq is truly a labor of love. 

• Like 3
  • Admin Team
10 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Funny you should mention this as there was an article back around February on  restaurants and what happens when the next gen steps in to take over or in some cases another person buys it and keeps the name. A lot of bbq joints went downhill or just shut the doors not long after the founder passed or sold it. Bbq is truly a labor of love. 

I think this is related to the fact that really good barbecue is specifically about a really good pit master. It's like asking Picasso's kid to carry on painting like their dad - it's just not going to be the same.

Any restaurant with BBQ on the sign ought to be able to do reliable, decent pork shoulder as sort of table stakes.

But, two things will kill it - one is a pit master who doesn't eat, breathe, and love the art of barbecue.  Second, and directly related to the first - the moment you open that second location you've got a heavy lift that's going to be hard to do reliably.

It's just hard to scale good barbecue. That's undoubtedly why the best barbecue is in single location restaurants in places where the rent is lower. 

• Like 5

I grew up in NE Oklahoma and all the BBQ around there was beef, even over in Tulsa.  I didn't realize people BBQ'd anything else until I joined the Navy.

BTW, most of our cattle ranches were Angus so I couldn't get too excited when everyone started fawning over Angus beef.

9 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I grew up in NE Oklahoma and all the BBQ around there was beef, even over in Tulsa.  I didn't realize people BBQ'd anything else until I joined the Navy.

BTW, most of our cattle ranches were Angus so I couldn't get too excited when everyone started fawning over Angus beef.

BBQ by definition changes as you go north apparently because a ba ba q can mean cooking anythinf outside lol.

A recent trip to your home state had me excited to try OK cue but sadly i came home with zero pics and no memories of good smoked fare. I talked to some locals and apparently a lot of the old reliable places just couldn't compete with chains in terms of rising food cost or as mentioned elsewhere in this thread the next gen just didn't keep it going. 

15 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Looks like standard KC fare. Burnt beef in ketchup. 

You reckon that’s supposed to be a rib of some kind?  Looks like something from a crematorium. 

Edited by Garufa
  • Haha 1

in my opinion the best bbq in the US doesn't come from any of the cities on that list.  It comes from the places you find when you think you're lost in the middle of nowhere.  Places like BE Scotts in Lexington TN or Trollinger's outside of Paris.  We were in Florence AL one time and the group decided to get BBQ and we drove past 4 commercial looking spots with bright signs to get to a small little building with a tiny sign over the door and inside looked like it needed a good mopping.  We clearly made the right choice.  It was really great btw if anyone is ever in Florence; Dick Howell's BBQ

Dick Howell 2.png

Dick Howell 1.png

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, Lumber_Jack said:

in my opinion the best bbq in the US doesn't come from any of the cities on that list.  It comes from the places you find when you think you're lost in the middle of nowhere.  Places like BE Scotts in Lexington TN or Trollinger's outside of Paris.  We were in Florence AL one time and the group decided to get BBQ and we drove past 4 commercial looking spots with bright signs to get to a small little building with a tiny sign over the door and inside looked like it needed a good mopping.  We clearly made the right choice.  It was really great btw if anyone is ever in Florence; Dick Howell's BBQ

Dick Howell 2.png

Dick Howell 1.png

That place has good chocolate pie. 

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

That place has good chocolate pie. 

Slightly off track, but you brought up the chocolate pie Mac. lol

The Rose Garden Cafe, just off the Smithville/Center Hill Dam Exit on I40 has excellent homemade pies. The Chocolate is wonderful, and the coconut is a close second!

It's about 15 miles West of Cookeville, and for the redneck guys...about 6 miles from Baxter.

• Like 1

Don't forget Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Decatur, Alabama.  Ten times best pulled pork at Memphis In May (Five times Grand Champion).  Still in the original family.  We drive several times a year from Chattanooga to Decatur to eat and bring back several pounds of Pulled Pork.  

Just stay away from their coleslaw.  It is a green mush.  They are also known for their BBQ chicken cooked with a white sauce.  Just be aware that it is a vinegar based sauce (not to my liking).

I am fan of Big Bob Gibsons in Decatur as well.  They awesome chocolate pie and great sweet tea.  A couple times a summer my buddy and me go down on a Saturday and play golf at Point Mallard and then have dinner at Big Bob's and drive home.  Makes for a fun Saturday.