Trunk Monkey - err, rifle

Wanted - suggestions for a compact rifle for trunk/back of the truck seat duty. Should be low maintenance, dependable, hard worker (some caliber larger than .22x), and cost $500 or less.

No AR's need apply. Yes, I already considered the M1 Carbine, but it doesn't quite fit the bill.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually considering something along the lines of a carbine-length lever gun, in .357 or larger.

It wouldn't garner the attention the AK would if it were inadvertently exposed to the rabidly fearful - while, say, fixing a flat tire.

I've heard arguments against a pistol caliber because of range limitations - apparently some people never heard of Elmer Keith - but I don't consider it a problem for the intended role.

How about a Mosin Nagant M44 or M38. You could find a nice matching numbered one for less that $150 easily, maybe even as low as $89. Ammo is inexpensive and the rifle is carbine length, easier to manuever in and out of a truck or trunk. With it being low cost scratches and dings should not be a concern.

It is bolt action and very reliable. I think they are accurate shooters as well.

I can relate with that approach. I was thinking about a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm(cheap,takes Glock Mags,accurate enough). However for me a Folding stock AK with polymer furniture and Hungarian 20 round mags does not scream terrorist and has way more authority. Plus it is locked in a truck vault(locking sliding steel drawer). The guys over at warriortalk have a fighting lever gun forum. There is a whole bunch of great information there. Here is the link:http://www.warriortalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96

I can relate with that approach. I was thinking about a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm(cheap,takes Glock Mags,accurate enough).

anything with "glock" will be automatically rejected as unsafe and heretical!

Urse, if you haven't noticed, I'm a supplicant in the church of the Almighty himself, John Moses Browning. I ascribe to and follow his 10 commandments.

I learned these from my senior.:rofl:

However for me a Folding stock AK with polymer furniture and Hungarian 20 round mags does not scream terrorist and has way more authority.

Realistically, the only time authority will be seen is when its used to make a wound tunnel..I don't think that anyone would care how the rifle looks up until that time except for the innocent who would see it in his trunk. in this case he wants to keep the hysteria to a minimum. remember, the public at large hasn't been blessed with your good sense and will immediately jump to a wrong conclusion. We make jokes about our "EVIL black rifles"...but there are many out there who really DO see them that way.

go figure!:D

Plus it is locked in a truck vault(locking sliding steel drawer). The guys over at warriortalk have a fighting lever gun forum. There is a whole bunch of great information there. Here is the link:http://www.warriortalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96

anything with "glock" will be automatically rejected as unsafe and heretical!

Urse, if you haven't noticed, I'm a supplicant in the church of the Almighty himself, John Moses Browning. I ascribe to and follow his 10 commandments.

I learned these from my senior.:D

Heretic.....absolutely. Unsafe.......don't you know all guns are unsafe. Besides the Kel-Tec may be one of the few guns uglier than my Glocks! Browning........yeah,yeah I know.:rofl:

Realistically, the only time authority will be seen is when its used to make a wound tunnel..I don't think that anyone would care how the rifle looks up until that time except for the innocent who would see it in his trunk. in this case he wants to keep the hysteria to a minimum. remember, the public at large hasn't been blessed with your good sense and will immediately jump to a wrong conclusion. We make jokes about our "EVIL black rifles"...but there are many out there who really DO see them that way.

go figure!:D

Authority...I probably should have used a different word like..deadliness. I carry a handgun(s) for isolated instances. The rifle I see as more of a tool in case of a SHTF situation were I would have to get my wife and kids and I home. Most people see the AK 47 as the tool of terrorists and drug dealers. I have had an off duty policeman ask me if my VEPR(RPK) was a Rock River! Without the wood and 30 round mag the gun has a completely different look. Yet it still is EVIL enough to possibly deter a group of thugs.

Mark@Sea's original criteria was:"Should be low maintenance, dependable, hard worker (some caliber larger than .22x), and cost $500 or less." I think you would be hard pressed to find many rifles that fit that criteria better than an AK. As far as "sheeple" jumping to the wrong conclusion, oh well you can't fix liberals but at least I cancel my wifes(bleeding heart tree hugging liberal) vote every election.:D

Guest Mugster

What about a winchester m94 in .30-.30? If your going to carry a rifle, i'd say get a rifle with a real rifle cartridge in it. An old m94 will stand you in good stead. I've probably shot more game with mine than all my other firearms combined. I think I lost one deer that i thought i hit pretty good. That .30-.30 round just works.

I'll mention that to my knowledge carrying a loaded long gun in a vehicle is prohibited in this state. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, it would seem that a rifle/carbine with a detachable mag would be the ticket. Keep the loaded mag up front and the rifle in the back. What comes to mind is the Enfield in .303 or the Schmidt-Rubin in 7.5 Swiss. I wouldn't call either of those wimp calibers.

The Saiga rifles are pretty good too, very reasonable cost.

Heretic.....absolutely. Unsafe.......don't you know all guns are unsafe. Besides the Kel-Tec may be one of the few guns uglier than my Glocks! Browning........yeah,yeah I know.:rofl:

"Should be low maintenance, dependable, hard worker (some caliber larger than .22x), and cost $500 or less." I think you would be hard pressed to find many rifles that fit that criteria better than an AK. As far as "sheeple" jumping to the wrong conclusion, oh well you can't fix liberals but at least I cancel my wifes(bleeding heart tree hugging liberal) vote every election.:D

hahahah yeah, I know exactly how you feel!

while Mark scorns the ak47 and I agree with him on many aspects of that particular design ( I have destroyed so many in the drive sprocket of a bradley that its not even funny) there are merits to your arguement.

at least its not plastic!!!

Guest ETS_Inc

There are a lot of great suggestions here.

My preferences would be: (given the criteria)

1) AK type rifle

2) SKS

3) Mosin-Nagant

4) Marlin 1894

5) Marlin 336

6) Winchester 94

7) Ruger Mini (either the -14 or the -30)

8) Kel-Tec Sub-2k

9) Garand (a CMP Greek rack-grade might be had for < $500)

10) Enfield

Guest c.a.s.

Well, for reliability and low maitainance, I think the winner would be an AK. What can you do to make one STOP firing!? Run it over with a tank? Even that might not work.

Carrying a loaded rifle in your vehicle is illegal in tennessee. Carrying a magazine-fed rifle unloaded with loaded magazines elsewhere in your vehicle is also illegal. However, carrying a unloaded SKS with loaded stripper clips elsewhere in your vehicle is NOT illegal. Go figure?

I would think if the loaded mag is in your glove box and the empty rifle is in your trunk you wouldn't have any issues. They arent readily accessible to each other.

As for the SKS and strippers, no one claimed gun laws make any sense. In fact I'd say most of them really dont. Why is it that if I put an AR upper on an AR lower I am now a manufacturer but if I buy a barreled action and bed it on a stock I am not?

I would think if the loaded mag is in your glove box and the empty rifle is in your trunk you wouldn't have any issues. They arent readily accessible to each other.

As for the SKS and strippers, no one claimed gun laws make any sense. In fact I'd say most of them really dont. Why is it that if I put an AR upper on an AR lower I am now a manufacturer but if I buy a barreled action and bed it on a stock I am not?

I am not sure how strictly it is enforced but according to Tennessee code it is illegal to have your magazines loaded. I would imagine headed to or coming from the range you would probably not get to much hassle. I would think that the SKS and strippers would be faster to load than the lever gun.

Hmmm.....

What about a double barrel coach gun and a shoulder bag of slugs in order to comply with the law? I'd been thinking rifle, but at ranges from 50 to 150 yards, would a slug gun do the job? Seems to me that a pump gun would be no faster to load than a lever rifle... Unfortunate, that - a '97 riot gun with a 17 inch bayonet inspires amazing cooperation...

Now, if there is a 'loaded magazines' restriction, it would certainly not apply to a permit holder, correct? So, any one of several pistol-caliber semi-auto carbines that use a pistol magazine would be a way to get around the restriction.

This topic is a (semi) hypothetical question, based on the theory that a handgun is used so that/until you can get a long gun. Practical considerations would include safety, legality, practicality (maintenance requirements, etc.).

I had thought that a lever gun might avoid the 'evil black rifle' syndrome so prevalent with todays' sheep - err, citizens.

On the other hand, I have an M1A Scout that might fill the bill. I really don't want to delegate either of my (really nice) CMP Garands to the role.

I had thought that a lever gun might avoid the 'evil black rifle' syndrome so prevalent with todays' sheep - err, citizens.

On the other hand, I have an M1A Scout that might fill the bill. I really don't want to delegate either of my (really nice) CMP Garands to the role.

Unfortunately, All of the rifles and shotguns in your scenario fit that particular bias that the left carry like rabies.

the only ones that don't would be a lever action rifle, or a side by side.

As for me, I would simply buy a takedown rifle, such as a scout. if anyone asks, you have it in case the car breaks down way back in the woods.

it'll still give you 2 shots to hit your target, and really IS good if you get stranded out in the backwoods.

I know the trips that you and Sue take when you're home..you guys like going into the hills and following the road till you run out of it!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mc30707

If your interested, I have a beretta cx4 storm in 9mm. it has the top pitcanny rail and a simmons red dot + 2 20 rd mags. its for sale, but for $600.00