What were pre-crazy .30 Carbine prices?

Back before Covid, and the ammo price spike, what was .30 Carbine going for? I need some but I want to wait until prices are back to normal. I can be patient, but I don't know what the old normal was for this caliber.

Edited by monkeylizard
25 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Back before Covid, and the ammo price spike, what was .30 Carbine going for? I need some but I want to wait until prices are back to normal. I can be patient, but I don't know what the old normal was for this caliber.

Can't help you on the exact prices, as it depends on how you define "normal".  30 carbine is not a caliber I buy, as I don't have a rifle in that chambering, but I do remember several discussions on here and elsewhere about ongoing shortages and high prices for this ammo, even during times when other calibers were plentiful and relatively cheap.  It seems to be one of those rounds that are only manufactured at irregular intervals, and is thus in short supply a lot of the time ...

Just before we hit this last stretch of panic buying I dug out some 30 to sell off as I will never shoot all I have. Pricing then , late 2019, was still 50-75c /round for factory loaded stuff. For whatever reason I held off and decided it was cheaper to buy something to shoot it out of instead 🙂

How much you needing @monkeylizard ?

I think I bought a couple boxes around 2017 for about $30. 

7 hours ago, gregintenn said:

It has been a good reloading candidate since the milsurp ammo supply dried up years ago.

Yeah, I got a set of used dies off of my wife's cousin. 

Back when Mil-Surp ammo was plentiful and cheap, .30 Carbine still sold for around $.25-30 per round.  Despite the popularity of the M1 Carbine, the demand for ammo has never been that great.  So the price has always been a little high.  I just checked Ammoseek and it appears that the cheapest right now is Wolf @ .55 per round. But I won't use that stuff as a few years ago some of that steel cased Wolf broke the extractor in one of my Carbines. 😡

The stuff Garufa posted seems to be a good bargain right now. Plus its soft point. I'd jump on that if I needed some. 

Thanks, guys. Looks like $0.30 is a steal, and $0.50 is about the norm. That gives me something to work with. I may pick up a few boxes from AIM to get started, then keep an eye out for a better price per round on a bulk order.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1