Now, a bike for dad…

You guys were great help in picking out a bike for my kid. He’s loving it. Now I need one, and would like some suggestions I rode a ‘12 Heritage Softail Classic today. It was a bit rough, but mechanically sound. I really liked the way it rode, but will hold out for something in better condition. I’m pretty sure I don’t sant a full dresser touring bike. Any suggestions?

As I stated in the other thread, I had several Suzuki Intruder 1400's, which are the chopper style, and one Boulvard 1500, all good bikes.  Moved up to a HD Road King, did some engine mods to it before I even rode it and was tickled to death with it and it's performance/ride.  The RK is a step below the full blown touring bikes with just hard  saddle bags, no touring trunk or full fairing.  Weight was around 800# +/-.  The HD handled better at slow parking lot speeds than the Suzuki's did, and rode better overall.  I had a 2000 MY, with air adjustable shocks on the rear which they stopped offering soon after I got mine.  Engine mods made the bike run like a scalded dog, and could cruise the roads in E TN with "authority".  😏 

• Like 3

I would agree with the above if you want a Harley.  If I was buying a Harley now, it would be a road king most likely unless I was planning to do any real distance travelling, then I would probably go for a Road Glide.  I had a 14 street glide special that was a really nice bike.   I would look for something from 2009 and up as the touring frame was update that year and has some improvements.

I am in the middle of overanalyzing myself, but I am leaning more towards an adventure bike now.  I will ride 90% of the time on road, but want the ability to do some light off road if I get a hankering, so lighter is important.  I also want to sit fairly straight.  The challenge is many of the ADV bikes are tall.  I am not short (6'1"), but flat footing some of them is a challenge with a 32" inseam.  

Edited by Hozzie
spelling
  • Like 1

I can't stand cruisers and their flying C body position so I am probably no help. That is just so brutal on the back. 
I have stuck with more upright position bikes and sport touring style bikes for the last couple decades. Hips a few inches behind shoulders, feet inline or only a few inches forward of shoulders when viewed from the side. Knee angle greater than 90° if possible. That is about the only way I can really enjoy my time on the bike. It has worked for me with multiple 1100+ mile Ironbutt rides completed. Most of my days are shorter, 200 to 500 miles but I like to break out a 2000+ mile three day weekend every once in a while. 

Mostly a Honda fan. I am currently on a VFR as my commuter bike but their Touring/Sport Touring options have been limited as of late.

• Like 1

IMO, a RK is a suitable LD touring bike IF set up for it.  I put a Corbin saddle w/ backrest on mine, a low to med height windscreen and lower wind deflectors on the forks.  I rode this bike to Daytona Bike week from East TN, a mix of 2 lane and interstate.  Interstate traffic is a bit different with the big rigs blowing you around more than 2 lane roads.  Wind buffeting/noise at 70 mph was not bad and tolerable making a 300 mile day easy to do IMO.  I usually split a trip to Daytona up over 2 days just cause I wanted to enjoy the trip.  Ear plugs reduce the wind noise and still allowed me to hear traffic on the interstate. 

I even towed a Bushtec trailer behind the RK for a couple yrs as well, so you can really pack "heavy" if desired.  I still have a travel bag that slips over the backrest pad and will hold enough clothes for a week if you pack right, and don't have to have a clean shirt twice a day.  

Is a RK a good as a full touring bike, I can't say because I never had a desire for a full fairing bike nor ever rode one, so take what I say with some salt if desired.  LOL

You should decide what style/type of bike you want/need for the type of riding you want or intend to.  Just day rides, or wanna go cross country, to bike week, etc.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

IMO, a RK is a suitable LD touring bike IF set up for it.  I put a Corbin saddle w/ backrest on mine, a low to med height windscreen and lower wind deflectors on the forks.  I rode this bike to Daytona Bike week from East TN, a mix of 2 lane and interstate.  Interstate traffic is a bit different with the big rigs blowing you around more than 2 lane roads.  Wind buffeting/noise at 70 mph was not bad and tolerable making a 300 mile day easy to do IMO.  I usually split a trip to Daytona up over 2 days just cause I wanted to enjoy the trip.  Ear plugs reduce the wind noise and still allowed me to hear traffic on the interstate. 

I even towed a Bushtec trailer behind the RK for a couple yrs as well, so you can really pack "heavy" if desired.  I still have a travel bag that slips over the backrest pad and will hold enough clothes for a week if you pack right, and don't have to have a clean shirt twice a day.  

Is a RK a good as a full touring bike, I can't say because I never had a desire for a full fairing bike nor ever rode one, so take what I say with some salt if desired.  LOL

You should decide what style/type of bike you want/need for the type of riding you want or intend to.  Just day rides, or wanna go cross country, to bike week, etc.

I don't want a touring bike. Just a knocking around and maybe short trip bike. Maybe this Fat Boy will turn out to be nice. I'd be happy with a nice Dyna. Might even get by with a 1200 Sportster, but that Softail I rode yesterday was certainly nicer than these two options.

I was actually looking for a Dyna Lowrider when I ran across this deal on my Street Glide Special. Still wish I had found a smoking deal on a Dyna, or especially a Heritage, which is what I’m looking for now. 

Keep in mind that the Fat Boy is a Softail as well, just like the Heritage you rode. If possible, take that 2007 to a good Harley tech and see if they have a way to check the crank. I’ve heard ‘07 was not a good year for cranks, but of course don’t take my word for that.

While you’re searching you might start looking up some videos on better/worse year models for whichever style you want. Kevin Baxter has some good videos out there, along with other pros. 

I’m not a pro, I just play one in my dreams. So my advice is worth slightly less than what you paid for it. 

Edited by res308
  • Like 1

I didn't want a big dresser. I went from my Dyna to a Road King. It is still a motorcycle, not a car with two wheels. Mine is an older one, `12FLHP, got a it cheap with like 15k miles on it. I ride the hell out of it and it handles like a bike half it's size. Did my Iron Butt on it last year and didn't need anything other than a windshield.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

I didn't want a big dresser. I went from my Dyna to a Road King. It is still a motorcycle, not a car with two wheels. Mine is an older one, `12FLHP, got a it cheap with like 15k miles on it. I ride the hell out of it and it handles like a bike half it's size. Did my Iron Butt on it last year and didn't need anything other than a windshield.

A year or two back, a fella on here had what appeared to be a nice Road King for not much money. I waffled for sometime about going to look at it. I finally decided against it. Probably should have gone and bought it. I've had great luck buying from TGO members.

Edited by gregintenn
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

My wife might approve of that, but I think I'm in the market for something a bit peppier.

Stupid thing has 80 something hp and i believe 100 lb ft. 

I got a 2020 Katana, 2011 GSX 1250 bandit and a 2020 MT-03. I dont need another bike.

Well, we cruising on that thing (or something) yet? 🙂

We may have to have another TGO Motorcycle meetup one of these days.  I just put in my order for a new Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro, but it won't be here for a month.

4 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Well, we cruising on that thing (or something) yet? 🙂

We may have to have another TGO Motorcycle meetup one of these days.  I just put in my order for a new Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro, but it won't be here for a month.

Still looking.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

Yeah, Fat Boys, Heritage, Softail. All good bikes. I used to like the looks of a Sportster but, not good on longer rides. Started to buy a 2003 Anniversary Edition 1200 once.

Last street bike I had was a ‘79 Sportster. Everyone poo poos them, but I absolutely loved that bike.

• Like 1

This is a 2000 Sportster 1200. It is loaded, new tires, all new fluids and ready to go anywhere. Accessories galore. It's my brother in laws and he has been asking $5,500 for it. 

IMG_0138.PNG

• Like 2