Best Sub $300 Shotgun

Moped

My wife and I just recently bought a travel trailer and started camping that way.  I've been taking a little Hi-Point 995TS 9mm carbine with us on our trips, but was thinking about transistioning to 12ga shotgun.  I have a Mossberg 590, but I really don't want to take it.  It's big, beefy and expensive to replace if it gets stolen. 

All that being said, I walked into Point Blank yesterday and looked at their shotguns.  They had a very nice Charles Daly 601HD Semi-Auto that's a clone of the Benelli, without the price that had a 18.5" barrel.  It was $279.  They also had a Mossberg Maverick with a bead sight and a 18.5" barrel for $248 and another Marverick with rifle sights and a 22" barrel for $239. All three were 5+1 and all three were in my price range of sub $300.  

Any thoughts on other shotguns you might recommend in that price range?

Academy Sports has been having the Mossberg 88 Security lately for $199. That is the best buy in a defense shotgun that I have seen. I have a Mossberg 590 and a Remington 870 both but bought a Maverick anyway at that price.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Eray said:

Academy Sports has been having the Mossberg 88 Security lately for $199. That is the best buy in a defense shotgun that I have seen. I have a Mossberg 590 and a Remington 870 both but bought a Maverick anyway at that price.

Hmmm... I will check that out!  That's a great price, if they have one in Knoxville.

55 minutes ago, Moped said:

Hmmm... I will check that out!  That's a great price, if they have one in Knoxville.

I got mine in Knoxville. If they don't have one in Knoxville, you can buy it online and they will ship it to the Knoxville store free.

Could you find an old 870 police trade in? That's what I did. It was a little beat up on the outside, and you could tell it had been in the sun a lot but it functions perfectly. I got mine at Craig's on Chapman Hwy.  I think I paid $350 though. 

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's input! 

After work, I ran to the grocery store for things to make BLTs for dinner.  On the way I stopped at my LGS and checked out their selection.  I found a like new Mossberg Maverick with a FDE colored stock set and the 7 shot extended tube magazine for $200.  It's in lay-a-way for the next couple of weeks, then it will come out. 

I swear I don't think it's been fired. No scratches on it or anything! They said an ex-employee came in and traded it in.  He'd had it at a cabin and never used it.  It does have the bead front sight, and not a rifle blade, but I've shot them before and I'm comfortable with it.  I think it's a bargain!

Think I will still look at picking up one of those Benelli clones in the future though.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Could you find an old 870 police trade in? That's what I did. It was a little beat up on the outside, and you could tell it had been in the sun a lot but it functions perfectly. I got mine at Craig's on Chapman Hwy.  I think I paid $350 though. 

Not to derail, but man I remember Craig's. I should have hung out there more back in the early 90's.

@Moped Nicely done. The 7 round tube is a good option. I don't like FDE guns, but I always figure shotgun furniture is easy and cheap to swap most of the time. 

I have an 870 Tactical that I bought a bit beat up and missing parts. A few bucks later, it is good to go. Only thing I did not replace was the missing rear ghost sight. It was crazy ecpensive, so I just put a rail on it and a red dit.

I like cheap guns, but I have to be mindful that sonetimes cheap just means it is crap. A $75 gun that you can't gett parts for is useless.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Moped said:

That is very similar to one I picked up recently. I stuck a hogue pistol grip on and put in an op sol mini clip so I can load it up with the 1.75 inch mini buckshot shells. So far so good.

6E578510-7196-4CD0-B46F-5B3DB8630F66.jpeg

• Like 2