Canik TP9SFX value

I have an opportunity to purchase a Tungsten Grey Canik TP9SFX 9mm and am trying to determine what's a reasonable offer or trade - just don't know much about their value other than internet search.

Saw one in use at USPSA match and have wanted one since.

It has the Vortex Red Dot, rear sight, and all adapter plates. Comes in the factory box with all paperwork and accessories.

Also comes with a Freedom trigger, 4 - 20 round factory mags, canted competition holster, extra firing pins, spare threaded barrel, and Springco Performance recoil kit.

Looks like it has not been shot much, very clean, tight lockup, seems tight. Said it has around 600+ rounds through it. He went to one match and has not been back, wasn't his thing.

Took a pic of it and told him I'd let him know this week.

Thought's opinions.

Canik .jpg

• Like 1

I haven't spoken to anyone that has that model, and with the mods it would be hard to price. Has he set a price, otherwise I would look up the base cost of the gun, and each mod, then deduct 20%-40% from the complete cost to give yourself a starting point to negotiate. They have a fairly good reputation though.

Smokey Mountain Guns and Ammo has the base gun listed at $450 here: Canik @ SMGA 

While I don't have any experience with a canik, with all that he has done to it and with 2 extra mags, and the RDS it doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. Actually if it was close to me I would buy it so I could see what the caniks are all about.

Edited by tmauto769
spell check
1 minute ago, tmauto769 said:

Smokey Mountain Guns and Ammo has the base gun listed at $450 here: Canik @ SMGA 

While I don't have any experience with a canik, with all that he has done to it and with 2 extra mags, and the RDS it doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. Actually if it was close to me I would buy it so I could see what the caniks are all about.

And for some reason, I thought the 600 rds was $600 and thought you were asking if it was worth it. so disregard that post.

I had one and sold it for around $400 if I recall with an OWB holster, and a handful of mags.  The sight is worth around 150.  They have shot up in price over the last year like everything so I wouldn't be too keen on the $400 as a benchmark.

I do know that the threaded barrel is very hard to come by as only preppergunshop has them and they are over $100 by themselves, you could easily sell that on the canik forums.

I’ve had one for a few years. Two things I don’t like about it: it’s oversprung IMO, and the shape of the trigger means my finger drags the bottom of the trigger guard.  

With a lighter recoil spring and a different trigger, it would probably work perfectly. However, for competition,  I shoot reloads at minor power factor, and got more stovepipes and 3 point malfunctions than I’m comfortable with. 

• Like 1
On 7/25/2021 at 8:47 PM, ken_mays said:

I’ve had one for a few years. Two things I don’t like about it: it’s oversprung IMO, and the shape of the trigger means my finger drags the bottom of the trigger guard.  

With a lighter recoil spring and a different trigger, it would probably work perfectly. However, for competition,  I shoot reloads at minor power factor, and got more stovepipes and 3 point malfunctions than I’m comfortable with. 

I agree that they're a little oversprung.  Some owners had trouble, while others did not.  Century Arms will send you a lighter RSA for free if you contact them.  I had a little trouble with mine early on with match loads, but the new RSA cured that.

• Like 2

I ran all 4 mags through it (Winchester White Box) and some reloads I dialed up. It functioned/cycled perfectly and the trigger is best striker fired I've felt (crisp clean break) and good primer firing pin impact. The Springco kit has reduced spring pressures. I tried both barrels and no issues. He did include all the factory parts that were replaced.  Not sure I'll compete with it, sure is FUN to shoot and very accurate.

I shot mine in USPSA Open, Limited, and Carry Optics.  Open class with a compensator gave me fits getting it to function.  wouldn't work hardly at all with my match loads (147gr).  I played and played with recoil systems before I got smart and played with ammo.  The only factory fodder that would work reliably was Winchester 124gr NATO.  The comp really worked with that load.  If you want to play with RSA's, You can use the recoil parts for a Gen 3 Glock.  You'll need the guide rod and the adaptor bushing that allows it to be used in a Gen 4.  Get flat wire recoil springs in various weights to play with.  The setup isn't captured so swapping springs is very easy.

• Like 1

Like has been mentioned in this thread already, if your having problems with stovepipes or malfunctions just contact century arms and they will send you the lighter spring no questions asked. These Caniks are made for 124 grain and +P not 115 grain ammo, I own the TP9SFX and I just locked the slide back for about 2 or so weeks aaaaaand got the recoil spring just in case. Had a few stove pipes early on but been wonderful since, as has been said the trigger is fantastic and the quality overall is there. I would and probably will buy another Canik no question.

• Like 2