Home security camera suggestions

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Ring-Floodlight-Cam-White-Smart-Outdoor-Security-Camera/1000253913?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-lit-_-google-_-lia-_-143-_-safetyandsecuritylighting-_-1000253913-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIppa7uIPj8QIVbAeICR2MiA35EAQYBCABEgI7K_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know many of you are more electronically knowledgeable than me. I expect your grandmother is as well.😁

I'd like your opinion on this floodlight camera, and would like any other suggestions you might have. Would I need one of those Alexa thingamagiggers, or would this work with just wifi and a smart phone? Told ya I wasn't tech savvy!

Thanks!

Edited by gregintenn

Do you already have a overall home security system?     Having systems that are compatible with each other makes life much easier than having a bunch of different apps to use.      Some folks don't plan ahead well and end up with a home security system, outside cameras, video doorbell, etc. and none interface with each other.    

• Like 1

I have both Nest cameras and Blink cameras.  I like the set up and free storage of the Blink cameras much better than the Nest cameras.  I also like, for my application, the Blink cameras being battery operated.  The Nest cameras required me to run a cord.  I have 3 Blink cameras inside of the house, 1 Nest camera inside of the house and 2 Nest cameras outside of the house.  I tried using the Blink cameras outside of the house but they did not work well for me as an exterior camera.  A lot of this has to do with how strong and reliable your wi-fi is.  I needed to put in a wi-fi booster for the Nest cam furthest from my router.  Keep in mind with these cameras that they are only as good as your wi-fi and when you wi-fi is down, so are the cameras.  No notifications and no event recording.

• Like 1

I have an Arlo wireless 4 camera system that was around $400.  They are rechargeable and last about a month.  It has free video storage for a week or so.  It was pretty simple to set up and use and I’m happy with it.  Keep in mind that a wireless camera is only as good as your wi-fi signal.  

• Like 1

I have a Ring doorbell and a regular lighted (the non-floodlight one) cam for the deck. We like it. Took a bit to get the deck camera aligned the way we want, but that was just us fiddling. App is easy to use and will alert you to a low battery, To make that easier, I bought 1 extra battery that I can swap in when one needs recharged. The deck cam could take 2 batteries, but does just fine on 1. We need to get one more, maybe the floodlight, to mount on the deck rail and look over the pool. 

One cool thing is if you have a regular doorbell where you can mount the doorbell cam, it can run off the bell power. Unfortunately, I could nor do that the way our door is. If you want a regular doorbell feel instead of it just buzzing on your cell, get the chime that is a separate item. We do not have it though. 

• Like 1

I have a dvr backed up constant security camera setup and also a ring doorbell and cam...had I to do it over again...i would go all ring...they have battery and corded options and you cant beat their complete year of monitoring for only $100 (no contract)....Costco runs deals on their equipment several times a year which also purchasing from costco gives you that costco lifetime guarantee.  Go Ring and dont look back.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Trekbike said:

Do you already have a overall home security system?     Having systems that are compatible with each other makes life much easier than having a bunch of different apps to use.      Some folks don't plan ahead well and end up with a home security system, outside cameras, video doorbell, etc. and none interface with each other.    

I do not.

This would replace a floodlight already mounted, and it would only be about three feet from our router and the wiring is already in place, so wifi shouldn’t be a problem. We have high speed internet.

Sounds like this might be worth a shot. Thanks!

Edited by gregintenn

My choice is always wired cams over wifi.  I use cams that run off POE lines (power over internet, one ethernet cable provides both access to the network and power) that connect to my home LAN.  I also do not allow the cams access to the internet, nor do I use their online storage.  Using the provided cloud storage and and the aps that allow you to view remotely over the internet also allows the cams to "talk" to the Chinese servers all of these utilize for storage, updates, etc.  While I'm sure that works ok for most applications, it does open your home network up to the wider world, and whatever shenanigans the Chinese are up to at the moment, something I'm not comfortable with.  I also further isolate the cams and other "internet of things" devices onto a separate network via VLans, something I'm still working on.  As for remote access, I'm using a VPN setup, which allows me to access the parts of the network that the cams run on.  It's been an educational experience learning how all this works, as I started out knowing less than most folks grandmothers about networking, security, etc. ...

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

My choice is always wired cams over wifi.  I use cams that run off POE lines (power over internet, one ethernet cable provides both access to the network and power) that connect to my home LAN.  I also do not allow the cams access to the internet, nor do I use their online storage.  Using the provided cloud storage and and the aps that allow you to view remotely over the internet also allows the cams to "talk" to the Chinese servers all of these utilize for storage, updates, etc.  While I'm sure that works ok for most applications, it does open your home network up to the wider world, and whatever shenanigans the Chinese are up to at the moment, something I'm not comfortable with.  I also further isolate the cams and other "internet of things" devices onto a separate network via VLans, something I'm still working on.  As for remote access, I'm using a VPN setup, which allows me to access the parts of the network that the cams run on.  It's been an educational experience learning how all this works, as I started out knowing less than most folks grandmothers about networking, security, etc. ...

LOL! I wish I had the interest you have in this. All I want is cheap, easy, and a picture of this certain area if something happens there.

6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

LOL! I wish I had the interest you have in this. All I want is cheap, easy, and a picture of this certain area if something happens there.

I picked up an arlo system on E b a y cheap enough and now run 5 cams with wifi access and you can view it from your phone on desktop anytime.

• Like 3

I’ve been running Blink cameras for a couple of years. Been happy with them for the most part but I have one complaint and it’s an aggravating one. If you get a notification that there was “movement detected” and you pull up that camera, it will not let you “view live” for the time period that it’s recording the next video. It pops up “camera busy” until that video is finished recording. It is wireless so if you have it facing the road and it picks up all the street traffic you will be changing batteries more often. You can also block out the zones the the road is in so that helps. I always use Energizer lithium batteries for these cameras. 
I recently ordered a Wyze cam V3 (not wireless) and have the cord running through edge my garage door opening. It has been great so far. Read different reviews on the wireless version but they weren’t horrible so I’m not saying to not get them either. Setup was easy and it takes good videos. I think I paid $20 for the year for CamPlus feature which gives full length recording instead of 12 seconds and will pick up only people if you choose to set it that way. You get a free trial of this CamPlus service and don’t have to pay for the extra, but I do recommend it. Being a wired camera is a little more involved for setup on the walls but it’s nice knowing I won’t have to keep climbing a ladder to change the batteries. To me I always feel like I’m grabbing the attention of everyone who drives by while I’m changing the Blink camera batteries. Wyze so far has been much more impressive to me but I’m using both setups. I’ll eventually move to only Wyze I’d imagine. 

• Like 1

I’ve got into the Ring cameras. New house so we tried the Ring door bell. The Echo Show is linked to so you can see who it is. Or ask Alexa to “show me the front door” and she does. Looking at getting something for the back of the house too. We’ve already got a flood light so the camera might be a little cheaper. 

• Like 2

Went with Ring as well. Started with a door bell and liked it well enough we added a few more. I have one of the door bell cameras on my front, garage (side), and back doors. One is wired and the other two I just run off of batteries. I added one of the spotlight cameras overlooking the driveway and since I mounted it fairly high I put a solar panel on it so I do not have to recharge batteries and break out the ladder every few months. 

It has all worked well once we improved the wifi signal at the far end of the house with much better mesh wifi hardware. Admittedly the primary use is to double check package delivery, secondary use is checking who shows up on the front porch so I know not to answer for solicitors/unknown folks. It does a good job of alerting us when someone comes up the driveway or garage side of the house since there are no windows or visibility over there from inside the house. 

We also have the ring alarm system with multiple door, window, and motion sensors.

Probably the most interesting use was having a contractor pay for cleaning up my driveway after spilling some sort of fluid on it and just leaving it. I would have let it go as a minor issue if he had just told me it happened and asked if I had anything to clean it up. I probably would have been ok if he had just said sorry when I found it and called him after the fact. Instead he got defensive, rude, and denied it was his spill. Showed him the video footage and he back peddled pretty quickly. He had a crew out to pressure wash my drive a few days later. 

• Like 5
20 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Just got it and got it installed. This thing is pretty awesome!

I’ve been using a six camera and light Arlo system for years. I like this set up. It  seems like the better way to go. How much cable do they provide with the floodlight?