Home security camera suggestions

On 7/14/2021 at 1:19 PM, deerslayer said:

I have an Arlo wireless 4 camera system that was around $400.  They are rechargeable and last about a month.  It has free video storage for a week or so.  It was pretty simple to set up and use and I’m happy with it.  Keep in mind that a wireless camera is only as good as your wi-fi signal.  

I have the Arlo also (Pro 2 version). It's easy to setup and included the free cloud storage which is nice. I got a 3-camera pack a few years ago on Black Friday at Costco. They have good resolution within about 8-10 feet (faces are clear). But beyond that, you can see everything happening within 20-30 yards just fine, but it doesn't have the detail to make out faces or license plates very well at any greater distance. In other words, I can see people walking by on the sidewalk, but unless they walk up on my porch I can't tell who it is. The newer cameras are probably better, but this suits my needs.

Example. My front porch now with my car parked out front. I can see the car and it's clear, but can't read a plate.

IMG-1687.png
IMG-1688.png

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Links2k said:

I’ve been using a six camera and light Arlo system for years. I like this set up. It  seems like the better way to go. How much cable do they provide with the floodlight?

None. This one is wifi. It replaced an existing floodlight hardwired to the house. It would only work for a similar application.

No doubt what you have is better, but this one fits the bill perfectly for what I wanted.

We woke up Monday night to the sound of someone trying to kick a panel out of the garage door in my basement. By the time I woke up enough to grab a gun and head down there, they were gone. It has never happened before, and I don’t intend for it to happen again.

It’s probably for the best their attempt wasn’t successful. I take a very dim view of thieves. 

The weird thing is my truck was sitting right there unlocked with all sorts of valuable goodies in it. Not touched.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I'm on the fence about adding cameras. Maybe someone could convince me. What are the biggest benefits TGO sees in them? 

I've seen so many examples where police won't even do something with the footage or you can't even read the license plate like in the picture above. 

32 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm on the fence about adding cameras. Maybe someone could convince me. What are the biggest benefits TGO sees in them? 

I've seen so many examples where police won't even do something with the footage or you can't even read the license plate like in the picture above. 

I added a doorbell camera to my security system and got several benefits from it.    I then added several outside cameras so I could see when someone comes on our property.     Totally sold on the benefit of having them.   Regardless of whether it could be used to determine who a criminal is, it allows you to see who is on your property, who just rang your doorbell, what just got delivered and whether the person treated the package properly, when someone you're expecting has arrived, when someone is around your house at night, check from work if it's actually raining at your house and will be able to mow when you get home, etc.    Basic all around early warning system.    

Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 2
23 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

We use Wyze cams. They're around 20 bucks each, with an additional $10 for an outdoor housing, and an SD card for continuous recording. Hardest thing is getting power to them. We use them to keep an eye on things around the property more than anything else. Getting the popo to launch an investigation is another issue. That depends on where you are.

Here's the back driveway. I know... overdue for the pressure washer. 

IMG_6117.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Read my last post. Screw the police. It’s about a five mile walk up a mountain side to my house unless you drive or come from a couple of neighbors’ houses.

Either way, out here in the sticks, I’m going to know who you are.

Since you are a government dependent city boy, I don’t know how to help you. If you ever aspire to be an independent man, we can probably help.

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, TennesseeCamper said:

Have two ring cams outside with solar panels.  One plug in indoors. And old school alarm system. I like the ring cams. Receive motion alerts with pictures. 

Not a single delivery goes unnoticed.  Picks up any visitors. 

The motion sensing on the Wyze cams is good too. Haven't looked into a solar option, but will as soon as I leave here. I have two more to install.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Since you are a government dependent city boy, I don’t know how to help you. If you ever aspire to be an independent man, we can probably help.

Really bizarre response to what was an honest question. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Erik88 said:

My main reason is to catch porch pirates. I’ve never had an attempted break in or anything stolen, but I like to know what’s going on around my house especially in the summer when more teens are out and about or we’re traveling. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Links2k said:

My main reason is to catch porch pirates. I’ve never had an attempted break in or anything stolen, but I like to know what’s going on around my house especially in the summer when more teens are out and about or we’re traveling. 

They are really too cheap and easy not to have them. We have four here.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Read my last post. Screw the police. It’s about a five mile walk up a mountain side to my house unless you drive or come from a couple of neighbors’ houses.

Either way, out here in the sticks, I’m going to know who you are.

HEY!!!! I resentthat!!!! just because I live in the city doesn't mean I'm dependent. I can take care of my own,,,learned when I lived in LaFayette. I have the first gen WYZE and am doing to upgrade to the new version as it has better night vision.

By the way, at one point I lived out near Pumpkin town so yeah I know the sticks! LOL

out near Parkhurst road, you know, where my family came from

Edited by papa61
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Really bizarre response to what was an honest question. 

Twas an honest answer, Erik. The last time I called the police was in 1989. I witnessed a hit and run in the grocery store parking lot where I was working. To my knowledge, they still have not responded. This probably isn’t the case where you live, but for me it is reality. If our sheriff can’t get money or puzzy out of it, it isn’t a concern, which leaves me to my own security. Sorry if that offended you. 

If it happens again, I’ll know who it is and deal with it accordingly.

There is a glaring difference in city and country life. I choose the latter. Thankfully, it isn’t for everyone.

36 minutes ago, papa61 said:

HEY!!!! I resentthat!!!! just because I live in the city doesn't mean I'm dependent. I can take care of my own,,,learned when I lived in LaFayette. I have the first gen WYZE and am doing to upgrade to the new version as it has better night vision.

By the way, at one point I lived out near Pumpkin town so yeah I know the sticks! LOL

out near Parkhurst road, you know, where my family came from

I know. I also know you know where I’m coming from.

• Like 1
On 7/17/2021 at 12:48 PM, Erik88 said:

It's good to see what weird stuff goes on during the day while at work, when the kids come home from school, when a package is delivered, or that a coyote was in your driveway at 2AM (yep I saw this on our Arlo).  This past Friday I was supposed to meet code enforcement at my house and was told I would get a 15 minute heads-up that they were on the way (I was working about 10 minutes away).  Then I see on my camera that they came to my house without calling.  I called the code enforcement office and they had the guy come back and I met him.  I would be starting all over again meeting the guy this week if I had not had my camera.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2
53 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

It's good to see what weird stuff goes on during the day while at work, when the kids come home from school, when a package is delivered, or that a coyote was in your driveway at 2AM (yep I saw this on our Arlo).  This past Friday I was supposed to meet code enforcement at my house and was told I would get a 15 minute heads-up that they were on the way (I was working about 10 minutes away).  Then I see on my camera that they came to my house without calling.  I called the code enforcement office and they had the guy come back and I met him.  I would be starting all over again meeting the guy this week if I had not had my camera.  

Similarly, Pool tech was suppossed to come by and look at our pump. Place swears he did. Not a thing on camera. 

• Like 1
On 7/17/2021 at 1:48 PM, Erik88 said:

There's a lot to factor into it and everyone's needs vary. That's why I bought in low. Ive got less than $500 in everything I guess and no monthly subscription. I dont anticipate using video as evidence but the cams outside are in plain view as a detterent and inside your mugshot is captured before you even know you're on it. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I have 9 at the house, 2 on the boat and 2 in the RV. Can check on everything from my phone. But I also have a several other things in place.

I like gadgets and technology as a hobby I guess. I like being able to turn lights on/off, change thermostat, open/close garage doors, unlock/lock entrance doors etc. Some things even have trackers with a geo fence set so I know if some things gets legs. I have a few guns with those also. Lol.