Jeff Bezos' rocket ship

Every major new technology is the play-thing of governments and/or the uber wealthy. These new private space companies are going to reduce the costs by a crap-ton. Remember about 20 years ago it was $20M to hitch a ride on a Soyuz to the ISS at a total cost of around $80M per launch (maybe the Russians still sell seats...don't know). I know it's not a trip to the ISS, but $200-400K gets you to space now on BO or VG. SpaceX cost to orbital flight is around $28M/flight vs the $80M/flight Soyuz.

Give it another 20 years and we might be seeing space tourism attainable for more people than just billionaires. I'm glad to see BO and VG competing for the low orbit stuff and having plans to join SpaceX with higher launches and SpaceX planning for Mars.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Space dicks

That's entirely too good! Is Bezo's slick, or sick enough...to purposely design it like that?聽

Never mind...I must read the entire thread from the start before making a comment.

Edited by hipower
5 hours ago, billt said:

The only problem I see with this whole thing, is the chute opened.

That would have taken out 3 other souls with him. The 80-something old woman had a pretty cool history. She was a test pilot of the Mercury Program at age 22. She'd always wanted to go into space but didn't get to go. She mentored other women who piloted the space shuttles. The dick's brother is a firefighter, and the teenager was just some rich kid.

Saw a clip,of his speech thanking his employees and Amazon customers, then he said they paid for this鈥 don鈥檛 think it came across like he meant it to be鈥nless he鈥檚 more arrogant than I thought. 聽Shows just how聽out of聽touch he is.

• Like 1