FOUND: G.I style AR-15

• Moderators

You may want to keep an eye on these from Brownell’s. They are about as close of a clone as one can get without finding an old Colt SP1, which will likely run you more than these. Just sign up for the restock alert. 

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/brn-16a1-rifle-5-56mm-20in-black-prod113314.aspx

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 2

Windhams are good guns. It may help to know what kind of range you hoping to get knowing that you're already headed that direction.

Also if price is more key than originality. And if new is a factor. Stuff like it having the modern A2 1:7 barrel  with an A2 stock vs the A1's 1:12 pencil barrel and shorter LOP A1 stock. Gray vs Black...

If its 90% about the triangular handguards, you could go Modern full size and swap the handguards (provided its like Colt who was still using triangle end caps on their round handguards) and stock. The Brownell's is seen as the closest to the original save Colts own Vietnam retro rifle, but its only 1300 vs twice that number. May be worth waiting for them to be back in stock and set up a notification.

Decent clones using real era Colt parts that are not always easy to find makes them not follow current AR market values as tightly, as you probably may have seen.  IDK, I have my A1 clone built around an original near Colt A1 NOS 74 era  upper on a Nodak XM lower, but the upper wasn't cheap so doubt it could be a consideration if price is the key factor with other options out there now.

• Like 3

I sort of share your affection for the old style. In 2012 I called Rock River Arms and had them make me a pair of A2 rifles with the carry handles. I got them with fixed stocks. I like the shorter 16 inch barrel but don't care for the looks of the carbine handguards and I never was crazy about the triangular handguards, so I had mid length gas system and handguards put on them. That made them look like a full size 20 inch rifle even though they are only 16 inch barrels. I still have them both in the safe. Even though I have never gotten around to shooting either of them I still like to get them out and look at them occasionally.

My search is over. I bought the rifle Derf offered me earlier in this thread. Really nice guy and he gave me an excellent price. Thanks Dude! 👍

Chuckstur has already offered me a set of triangular handguards. My sincere thanks to you too Sir. 😁

I found a sling for it in my pile. Now, has anybody got a couple of USGI 20 round magazines they're willing to part with?  That's all we had back in the day. If I can find a couple, my retro rifle will be about as close as I'm gonna get. 😉

• Love 1