One Second After

I might be late to the party but has anyone else read it. I'd heard people talking about it when it first came out but at the time, didn't really have time to sit and get engrossed in a book. 

Recent events convinced me to finally read it and it was down right scary.  Anyone with any understanding of human nature could see how things in the book are very realistic.

I've got the other two of the trilogy and am hoping they are as good. 

Off to buy some tin foil  panic-1.gif

• Like 4

Meant to add that the proximity of the story to East Tennessee makes it even more gripping. 

That part of NC is closer to Knoxville than Nashville is and not much further than Chattanooga.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4

I read the first book on the porch of a cabin with a view of Black Mountain. Passed the exit with the sign for the college on the way home. lol

I enjoyed them all. I agree the first is the best. 

A sudden loss of all power such as from a wide reaching EMP is one of the worst case situations. 100 percent of the population still alive, but all current means to grow and transport food, medicine, etc grind to a halt. Large cities would run out of food in a few days. If it was winter many in colder states would freeze to death unless they had alternate heat sources. Crimes of all types would skyrocket since police could not effectively patrol or respond to issues. May would riot further hampering any effort to provide whatever meager assistance the state and federal government could provide. 

Basically this would be my number 1 on worst ways for SHTF to come about. 

Yep, read it. It was that book that started me down the road to finally get off my keester and start getting ready for worse things to come. Haven't read the others. Spent the money on stuff for worse days.

Same author (William R. Forstchen) wrote another one about a solar flare, but I haven't read it yet.  He also collaborated with Newt Gingrich on some Civil War and Revolutionary Wat books.  The Revolutionary War ones were as awesome as well. HIGHLY recommend.

• Like 1

Well, I just finished the second one (One Year After) and it didn't leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy, especially when they started considering anyone that spoke up against the Federal Government as a terrorist. I think if I'd read these when they first came out I'd probably have a different viewpoint of them.

I agree, the first was better than the second one but it moved at a "faster pace". The second one spent too much time on each situation or action.

I have to give my eyes a rest before I start The Final Day.

3 hours ago, Garufa said:

Not One Second After and that series, but there's a brand new book out about solar flare apocalypse set right here in Tennessee by a local author.

https://www.amazon.com/SUN-Post-Apocalyptic-Survival-James-Cooper/dp/B099GT2Q62/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1626548631&sr=8-2

I wagered 2.99 for the Kindle version. Which usually means I won't read it till I'm stuck out of town somewhere for a day or three, but eventually. Thanks.

- OS

• Like 1

Garufa's comment is spot on! Disturbing is a very good description for this novel. One Second After is one of the most potent and heart tugging stories in any of the EOTWAWKI I have ever read.

Especially if there are any diabetics in your family or circle of friends.

• Like 2
On 7/18/2021 at 7:22 AM, Defender said:

Same author (William R. Forstchen) wrote another one about a solar flare, but I haven't read it yet.  He also collaborated with Newt Gingrich on some Civil War and Revolutionary Wat books.  The Revolutionary War ones were as awesome as well. HIGHLY recommend.

He also wrote one about a space elevator. Don't waste your time. The concept is mildly interesting, but it doesn't deserve a full novel.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

He also wrote one about a space elevator. Don't waste your time. The concept is mildly interesting, but it doesn't deserve a full novel.

I mean listening to that elevator music all the way to the moon... count me out. 

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
41 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Waiting for some input on "Sun" while my eyes are resting.

My copy of Sun came in yesterday but I'm trying to hold off reading it until I go on vacation in another week. If no one else has any input before then I'll post what I think about it. It's very tempting to go ahead and start on it but so far I've held off.

Read one second after but not the other two. I need to order them.

I also read his “Day of Wrath” book.

Scary stuff and frightening how quickly everything could come to a stop. Especially after seeing how people reacted to a pandemic from Covid.