Cherry rifle stock

vYtXku8.jpg

I knew my dad had been building this rifle, but to my surprise, he came by today and gave it to me for my birthday. It is a 25-06. I haven't yet shot it. What I was wondering is whether any of you have seen a cherry rifle stock. It looks much better than I would have guessed. He made it from a piece of rough sawn lumber. It must have taken forever to inlet.

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks guys. It is special to me. Now to see if Smiling Larry will send me some brass and dies, since this is a new chambering for me. I think I have enough bullets to shoot the barrel out.

XU49RT2.jpg

FBWeeGN.jpg

He'll be 79 this year, but still does some nice work.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 8
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Thanks guys. It is special to me. Now to see if Smiling Larry will send me some brass and dies, since this is a new chambering for me. I think I have enough bullets to shoot the barrel out.

XU49RT2.jpg

FBWeeGN.jpg

He'll be 79 this year, but still does some nice work.

Pretty rifle. Isn't it just a necked down 30-06?

• Like 1

I have looked at this stock So Much. 
your Father is Very Talented   I have made several stocks and it is Very labor intensive 

as far as cherry stock. 
here is my attempt 

cherry tap root 

C41D30A3-8763-4B60-BE50-58CDBBF7FDB2.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

Beautiful work, but I would be hesitant to take them out to the woods.  Every wood stocked rifle I have owned has ended up with dings here and there, but they all have not come close to these.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BJB said:

I really want to be able to take time to learn to checker. It takes a special skill set. 
first attempt ended up as kindling 

Dad built his own bench that holds a stock. You can turn it in any direction. There’s an overhead light and magnifying glass mounted to it. It also converts into a shooting bench. LOL.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, BJB said:

I really want to be able to take time to learn to checker. It takes a special skill set. 
first attempt ended up as kindling 

A friend bought a set of checkering tools years ago, and told me it takes patience like a hawk waiting on a rabbit. He got to where he could make some good looking checkering. 

• Like 1

That is just gorgeous! And Dad built it for you makes it that much better. Hope your family passes it down for many, many generations. I've never seen a cherry stock in person but I have seen them.

ask dad if he has a piece of walnut or if I need to bring my own! LOL!

• Like 1

When we lived in Clinton I actually made a duplicator. Using a small trim router and a bumper on the other are. 
there was a video on Utube about making one. Helped a lot with the inlet of the action 

I want to make another one if I can ever get caught up on current projects 

• Like 2